• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Union vs League T20 charity cricket match - 23 Jan @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
MODS: I posted here so it didn't get "lost" in the Cricket forum. Please move if not acceptable.

The STARS OF UNION and LEGENDS OF LEAGUE are playing a charity T20 cricket match at the SCG on 23 January 2014 to raise funds for the Primary Club. Money raised will be used to provide sports equipment to people with disabilities.

The game starts at 6pm. Entry by $5 donation via Gate A.

Seating is in the Members and Ladies pavilions with no dress code for the event. Food and beverage outlets will be open.

More details:
http://www.primaryclub.com/2014/01/07/battle-of-the-codes-t20-at-the-scg-thursday-23rd-january/

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If anyone is keen to come down, it should be a good night.

I play cricket for the Primary Club and will be down there helping out on the night.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ryan Cross, Bernard Foley, Phil Waugh, and Robbie Deans all played last year. I believe they are playing again and David Wilson is also playing.

Phil Waugh is apparently a gun wicket keeper and Bernard Foley is a good bat and scored runs last year.

I played a cricket match against Ryan Cross last year. He is fairly agricultural but he can strike a cricket ball pretty well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To get a decent crowd and raise plenty of funds, there really should have been some form of promotion to push the game.

Apart from what I read on here, I have heard nothing of this game. Have I been living in a cave recently and missed the advertising blitz?

Will there be any crowd beyond that which is at a "normal" Sheffield Shield game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There won't be a big crowd there and that isn't really the point. This is just the exhibition game that is part of two days of the Primary Club's Marathon Cricket event where teams play from 6.30 am - 10.30pm this Wednesday and Thursday and pay between $1,500 and $2,000 per team to play a 12 over a side game on the SCG.

The event has raised somewhere between 100k and 200k net (I can't remember exactly) each year since it started four years ago.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Thanks Braveheart81 for providing an overview of the Primary Club's fundraising activities this week.

I heard about the match through an SCG email.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For those that don't know, the Primary Club of Australia is a charity that raises funds for people with disabilities primarily to play sport and enjoy other physical activities. The charity provides sporting equipment and has also funded the building of new playground equipment in many of the special schools in Sydney and elsewhere in Australia.

The charity is heavily cricket related and Primary refers to a first ball duck. Members donate $5 each time an Australian gets a golden duck in test, ODI or T20 cricket. As a special for the Ashes, the club also decided that $10 would be levied voluntarily on members each time an Englishmen got a golden duck in the recent series.

The charity prides itself on contributing 100% of all tax deductible donations received to the various charitable causes the club supports. Membership fees and other events pay for the running of the charity to ensure that all donations received end up being used for charitable causes.

Last year the Cauliflower Club was established as a bit of an offshoot of the Primary Club with the idea of having a rugby focus and taking donations when a Wallaby front rower scored a try.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd love to go just to check out the members pavilion and get my cricket nerd on, at the same time as supporting a good cause.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd love to go just to check out the members pavilion and get my cricket nerd on, at the same time as supporting a good cause.

The area of the ground that will be open is the members including the bar.

All the players involved get to use the dressing rooms so there is a good chance you can wander into the SCG dressing rooms and have a bit of a look (there are some bits of memorabilia in there such as the scoresheets from the highest innings at the SCG (Bradman and Katich) as well as all the honour boards).

Status
Not open for further replies.