• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Vale Arthur Beetson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
RIP Big Artie. You were a legend and an inspiration to many. Great player, coach and role model for young and aspiring sports people.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-01/arthur-beetson-dies/3706362

Arthur Beetson dies after heart attack
Updated December 01, 2011 11:28:01

Photo: Arthur Beetson has died of a heart attack. (Getty Images: Matt King, file photo) Map: Brisbane 4000
Rugby league great Arthur Beetson has died aged 66 after suffering a heart attack on the Gold Coast.

Beetson, the first Indigenous Australian to captain a national team in any sport, was riding his bike at Paradise Point around 9:15am (AEST) on Thursday when witnesses said he suffered severe chest pains.

Ambulance officers were called to treat him at the scene.

He was the first Indigenous Australian to captain a national team in any sport and was the captain of Queensland's first State of Origin team.

Premier Anna Bligh has paid tribute to Beetson in Parliament.

"He was the captain of our first State of Origin team, went on to coach that team many times," she said.

"He was a knockabout block from country Queensland - he loved his league, he loved his Queensland.

"His loss will be felt by many.

"I offer my sympathy as I know the Opposition does and all members of Parliament to his loved ones and his family."

Beetson was inducted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame in 2003.

In February 2008, Beetson was named in a list of Australia's 100 Greatest Players (1908-2007) which was commissioned by the NRL and ARL to celebrate the code's centenary year in Australia.

Beetson went on to be named in the front row in Australian rugby league's Team of the Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.