• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean one more or one less team as compared to last year. Not sure I could take any more bad rugby news tonight. How are participation numbers in vic going at present?

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
My tip would be Boroondara as they don't have the junior and colts numbers that Hills have.

The street is just people around the rugby scene in Victoria.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
‎"the VRU Board has unanimously decided to advise Boroondara that there will not be a place for them in Premier Division in 2013 and in consequence will adopt a 9-team Premier Division draw for 2013".

"Whilst the Board recognised that this will mean that clubs will be given byes in 2013, the Board felt that this was a modest price to pay given the imperative of the VRU’s desire to lift standards in Premier Division going forward".

Yours faithfully
Ross Oakley
Chief Executive Officer

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean one more or one less team as compared to last year. Not sure I could take any more bad rugby news tonight. How are participation numbers in vic going at present?

Generally every club in the state has better numbers at juniors and seniors, except for Boroondara (as per the relegation). If I had to guess I'd say this is mostly due to them being situated within an area with plenty of clubs and they are the weakest of them currently. Not knocking the efforts of the people involved in the club but sometimes things just don't play out for you.

I think they'd be best to take a year or two to consolidate and built a good base in terms of finances and player numbers, then use the money to attract a sprinkling of higher level players and go from there. Who knows, they could do a Footscray and make some clever decisions that completely change their club for the better.

It's a shame, a 9 team comp is a little silly but the decision is a logical one and I can't fault the VRU for it. This coming from a man who has been quite sceptical of the VRU in the past.

I believe KevinO is a Boroondara man who might have an opinion on this whole thing.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
sorry just posted on the 2012 thread.
as you probably all know, the club was originally kiwi-hawthorn and before that kiwis and hawthorn (originally old scotch) separately, i think kiwis grew out of st kilda originally. unfortunately clubs have come and gone over the 100 or so years of rugby in victoria and i suspect that in these days of a more "professional" (read expensive) approach to club rugby many will not survive or indeed choose to survive in the top tier. i just hope there is always a place for the "journeyman" and social player within the vru structure

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
sorry just posted on the 2012 thread.
as you probably all know, the club was originally kiwi-hawthorn and before that kiwis and hawthorn (originally old scotch) separately, i think kiwis grew out of st kilda originally. unfortunately clubs have come and gone over the 100 or so years of rugby in victoria and i suspect that in these days of a more "professional" (read expensive) approach to club rugby many will not survive or indeed choose to survive in the top tier. i just hope there is always a place for the "journeyman" and social player within the vru structure

Kiwi-Hawthorn were based out of Como park I believe which is reasonably close to Boroondara's current location, not too far of a jump.

Box Hill, Footscray, Moorabin (who similarly are historically Kiwi-centric), and Souths are all very suburbany clubs and they all keep up. I think pointing at money is the easy way out. Plus, there's a 2nd division or lower premier grades for journeyman players (which Boorondara competed in just 5 or 6 years ago and Footscray just 2 years ago). I think we do injustice to the hard work put in by other clubs if we pretend Boroondara were wronged here, it's a damn shame that despite their efforts they couldn't pull it together but the reality is they couldn't pull it together.

Really, it'd be great to see a 12 team premier grade comp at some point with Boroondara back in the fold along with 2 of Eltham or Norths and Geelong or Wyndham. However, for now the concept of dividing our talent over less teams is a logical one.

Boroondara will get there but it'll be a difficult period for them.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kiwi-Hawthorn were based out of Como park I believe which is reasonably close to Boroondara's current location, not too far of a jump.

Box Hill, Footscray, Moorabin (who similarly are historically Kiwi-centric), and Souths are all very suburbany clubs and they all keep up. I think pointing at money is the easy way out. Plus, there's a 2nd division or lower premier grades for journeyman players (which Boorondara competed in just 5 or 6 years ago and Footscray just 2 years ago). I think we do injustice to the hard work put in by other clubs if we pretend Boroondara were wronged here, it's a damn shame that despite their efforts they couldn't pull it together but the reality is they couldn't pull it together.

Really, it'd be great to see a 12 team premier grade comp at some point with Boroondara back in the fold along with 2 of Eltham or Norths and Geelong or Wyndham. However, for now the concept of dividing our talent over less teams is a logical one.

Boroondara will get there but it'll be a difficult period for them.
i agree. i wasnt implying that the relegation was wrong or all about money or the efforts/professionalism of those running the club. the new criteria cover every aspect of a clubs activity, not just the onfield performance. this is just the latest and hopefully best solution to spreading the game and improving the standard of play. in my memory the vru have tried with varying degrees (limited ?) of success to do both. there have been, 6,8,10 and 12 teams in divison one, including splitting the 12 team comp into A and B divisions half way through a season; previously powerful clubs have withered,eg Kiwis, the dominant team in the mid to late 70's, Monash used to be a successful and competitive div 1 team (ahh brian o'shea !), others eg Moorabin have flourished, so things simply change as they have always done. i hope that Boorondara can survive and meet the new standard and it would be in everyones interest if Geelong or Wyndham get into the top tier or Eltham or Norths or Croydon get back there like Footscray have done. we will have to wait and see whether this new interation of rugby in victoria has the intended effect or not

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Taking all things in account I agree that its fair.

The Redbacks (No longer wish to be know as Kiwi's) finished lowest in most grades, this is mainly due to the massive amount of injurys through the season. At one stage I think there was only about 6 fit props left in the whole senior club.

The cut back from 10 to 9 teams allows that bye week, which is really needed in such a long season.

Only my first season with the club, had a good chance of being competitive with some of there recruits but just had no luck with injuries. The Tongan International in the squad was only fit half the season, prop who is in the victorian side was out most of the season. That's just off the top of my head.

Will look forward to winning a few more games next season, they should really consider making a relagation/promotion system in the VRU anyway.

Nothing so far on the Club Facebook page, will post anything I hear.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
12 team premier division is a bit too much. Hell the Shute Shield isn't even that.

The SS does have 12 teams but I suppose WA and Qld have 10 teams so that's a more realistic target.

Taking all things in account I agree that its fair.

The Redbacks (No longer wish to be know as Kiwi's) finished lowest in most grades, this is mainly due to the massive amount of injurys through the season. At one stage I think there was only about 6 fit props left in the whole senior club.

The cut back from 10 to 9 teams allows that bye week, which is really needed in such a long season.

Only my first season with the club, had a good chance of being competitive with some of there recruits but just had no luck with injuries. The Tongan International in the squad was only fit half the season, prop who is in the victorian side was out most of the season. That's just off the top of my head.

Will look forward to winning a few more games next season, they should really consider making a relagation/promotion system in the VRU anyway.

Nothing so far on the Club Facebook page, will post anything I hear.

I suppose that their injuries weren't taken into account because Boroondara have been consistently one of the weaker teams across the grades and I don't mind that the VRU have allowed clubs to earn the right to have a bad season (Uni were poor this year but they're usually good).

Anyway, keep us posted on internal developments.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i agree. i wasnt implying that the relegation was wrong or all about money or the efforts/professionalism of those running the club. the new criteria cover every aspect of a clubs activity, not just the onfield performance. this is just the latest and hopefully best solution to spreading the game and improving the standard of play. in my memory the vru have tried with varying degrees (limited ?) of success to do both. there have been, 6,8,10 and 12 teams in divison one, including splitting the 12 team comp into A and B divisions half way through a season; previously powerful clubs have withered,eg Kiwis, the dominant team in the mid to late 70's, Monash used to be a successful and competitive div 1 team (ahh brian o'shea !), others eg Moorabin have flourished, so things simply change as they have always done. i hope that Boorondara can survive and meet the new standard and it would be in everyones interest if Geelong or Wyndham get into the top tier or Eltham or Norths or Croydon get back there like Footscray have done. we will have to wait and see whether this new interation of rugby in victoria has the intended effect or not

Footscray only had 1 year out of Prems and increased their playing numbers after the drop. Hopefully Boroondara can manage a quick turn around or the more ambitious players will look for greener pastures.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Footscray only had 1 year out of Prems and increased their playing numbers after the drop. Hopefully Boroondara can manage a quick turn around or the more ambitious players will look for greener pastures.

I think Footscray was out because they could not field 3 teams for a season, where they than merged another side into their club to get the numbers. Southern Districts also do a similar thing by having Cerberus Naval Base play in the 3rds and than have their 4ths in a lower division.

With Division 2 only having two grades, which comp are Boroondara 3rds placed into?

VRU website has undergone a facelift and now looks very similar to the Rebels website.

Status
Not open for further replies.