• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales tour to Australia 1978

Status
Not open for further replies.

davtnt

Frank Row (1)
Hi
My dad Clive Davis toured Australia with the Welsh rugby union team in 1978 , i am currently collecting or at least trying to collect any pictures , programmes or anything associated with that tour . He played in five of the tour games and won his first cap in the 2nd test. I would especially like to see a video of the second test game if it still existed in any shape or form. Any help would be most appreciated - Ross Davis - rosspdavis@yahoo.co.uk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Try contacting the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (our rough equivalent to the BBC), they were the broadcasters in those days, and might still have some archival footage. Otherwise, try contacting Fox Sports, they are the local rugby cable channel, and they seem to have a pretty good archive.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Your dad was pretty brave to attempt to subdue Steve Finnane.....
Funnily enough I just passed the australian number 5 in the street - Garrick Fay

davtnt

Frank Row (1)
Try contacting the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (our rough equivalent to the BBC), they were the broadcasters in those days, and might still have some archival footage. Otherwise, try contacting Fox Sports, they are the local rugby cable channel, and they seem to have a pretty good archive.

Thanks Ted i will drop both stations an e/mail and see what archive system they got , fingers crossed . Yeah John my old man was 28 when he toured OZ in 78 , he played against Finnane when Wales played Sydney on the same tour and had some beef with him in that game , i got News of the world and Sydney Herald paper cuttings calling Finnane the enforcer and the hardest man in rugby which my dad chuckles at , A Coal miner squaring up against a Barrister with a waxed moustache ! :) The clip you posted was something i put on you tube a while back , a typical , shite BBC clip they roll out everytime you lot play and do us over at rugby . Garrick Fay was a total gentleman according to my dad , as you know he played a lot of his rugby in England and my old man played against him a few times , he thought he was a lovely chap and a prob one of the best forwards of that era !

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Sydney v Wales - Sydney Sports Ground - Laurie Monaghan - minutes to go - 40 metres out, on an angle - drop kick - it was high enough, long enough, but was it straight enough - YES - 18-16 Sydney wins - a moment of pure joy and a great day - good times!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sydney v Wales - Sydney Sports Ground - Laurie Monaghan - minutes to go - 40 metres out, on an angle - drop kick - it was high enough, long enough, but was it straight enough - YES - 18-16 Sydney wins - a moment of pure joy and a great day - good times!
I was there (all of 10, nearly 11 years old), my mate's dad took us in the back of his Volvo station wagon, my first "big" rugby game. Hooked since. We were chanting "Sydney Beat the Taffies" out the back of the wagon on the way home.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Yep, I was at the Sydney game and the second test - late teens at the time. It was a brutal tour, at least on the field, hopefully not off it. Fancy having JPR Williams playing flanker - looking a that video,above, he definitely came in from the side to smack ?, didn't see who - have to come through the gate now. Also reminded me of Martin Knight - wonderful talent lost all to soon.

davtnt

Frank Row (1)
Yep, I was at the Sydney game and the second test - late teens at the time. It was a brutal tour, at least on the field, hopefully not off it. Fancy having JPR Williams playing flanker - looking a that video,above, he definitely came in from the side to smack ?, didn't see who - have to come through the gate now. Also reminded me of Martin Knight - wonderful talent lost all to soon.

I tell you what else has got some better footage of the game:eek:ur ABC's the Rise and Rise of Australian Rugby narrated by the insufferable Peter Fitzsimmons:
http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=3531

He (and I) credit that game with the birth of Australian rugby as a force in the world.
Thanks m8 but finding it hard to get a copy over here !!

pm3850

Frank Row (1)
I was at the Sydney V Wales game, even found the programme in archive box.

Attachments

• img-120402183816.pdf
    456.1 KB · Views: 924
  • img-120402183631.pdf
    426.5 KB · Views: 747

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Hi
My dad Clive Davis toured Australia with the Welsh rugby union team in 1978 , i am currently collecting or at least trying to collect any pictures , programmes or anything associated with that tour . He played in five of the tour games and won his first cap in the 2nd test. I would especially like to see a video of the second test game if it still existed in any shape or form. Any help would be most appreciated - Ross Davis - rosspdavis@yahoo.co.uk

Just found this thread. I was at that game; in later years I worked with Steve Finnane, and there is a reason Graham Price never complained about what happened.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just found this thread. I was at that game; in later years I worked with Steve Finnane, and there is a reason Graham Price never complained about what happened.
do tell?
I've only heard him say that he was responding to Price boring in on the hooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.