• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Back to Gits for a second. Is it possible that he's just amazing in the sheds? Consider the scenario that he might have been so important in RWC 2015 that Cheik wants him back around the squad next time around.

It's just a theory. But maybe this is less about coaching our attack and more about recreating an attitude, a feeling that existed in the sheds in 2015, of which Gits might have been the architect.

Just a theory.

I think you're right. I suspect it's an extension of the Drew Mitchell training with the Wallabies last year? A good guy (I guess) to have around the squad.

I'm not a fan of it, but this is Cheika's gig

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not a fan of it, but this is Cheika's gig

I see some logic in it if it's just for the Cup itself and not longer term.

A bit like State of Origin coaching staff - less technical expertise and more motivational/attitudinal stuff. Could work in the short term but isn't a good idea for any longer than a month or so.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I know this might sound like a stupid question, but where do people get their stats from? I struggle to find match stats with my primative Googling
Thanks

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I know this might sound like a stupid question, but where do people get their stats from? I struggle to find match stats with my primative Googling
Thanks
The rugby stats app is pretty buggy, but it gives optastats for competitions that South Africa is involved in (TRC, Super rugby etc)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I see some logic in it if it's just for the Cup itself and not longer term.

A bit like State of Origin coaching staff - less technical expertise and more motivational/attitudinal stuff. Could work in the short term but isn't a good idea for any longer than a month or so.
I thought Cheika was the attitude guy though. Wouldn’t it make more sense to bring someone in with technical expertise and just let Cheika focus on the attitude stuff?

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Back to Gits for a second. Is it possible that he's just amazing in the sheds? Consider the scenario that he might have been so important in RWC 2015 that Cheik wants him back around the squad next time around.

It's just a theory. But maybe this is less about coaching our attack and more about recreating an attitude, a feeling that existed in the sheds in 2015, of which Gits might have been the architect.

Just a theory.
Maybe when hoops is having a soft moment gits can tell him "you're the fucking captain"

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Last thought we could have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the squad (i trust not but we could), plus gits doing this random attacking feel good motivator role plus Drew chief hanger on.
2 issues with this:
1. I dont think we need a trio of by gones to lead the group and if we do, this wouldnt be the 3 names at the top of my list.
2. Seriously dangerous love triangle territory. Wallaby RWC performance could deteriorate into a reality tv dating show.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure why we hold up RWC 2015 performance as a thing to behold. The arsey win over Scotland papered over the beginning of the descent.

We made the final. Something we certainly weren't expected to do.

In 1991 we beat Samoa 9-3 in the pool game and had a miraculous come from behind victory against Ireland in the quarter final.

In 1999 we needed a miraculous drop goal to get us to extra time in the semi-final against South Africa.

In 2015 NZ scraped home in their semi-final against South Africa by 2 points.

I reckon 1987 and 2007 are the only Rugby World Cups where the winner has gone through without really being challenged.

I don't think a lucky escape from a game is an indication that a result wasn't good. It's part and parcel of these tournaments.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not sure why we hold up RWC 2015 performance as a thing to behold. The arsey win over Scotland papered over the beginning of the descent.

I dunno, that performance against Argentina in the semis was pretty good and we were well in contention in the final. Overall I thought the Wallaby performance in 2015 was well above expectations.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On that, the expectation (or on par performance based on current rankings) is that we come 2nd in our pool and then lose to England in the quarters.

The only real possibility of a below par performance is that we finish behind Fiji in the pool rankings.

The most likelihood of an above par performance comes via finishing at the top of our pool by beating Wales and then beating either England or France in the quarters, or it could come about by still finishing second in our pool and beating either England or France in the quarters to progress to the semis, however if we play France in that scenario it will mean that England have performed below expectations. Thus if that happens we are probably still only on par even though we make the semis.

I would rate the likelihood of performing above expectations much higher than that of performing below expectations. The doomsayers on here that think we will lose to Fiji won't, but I'm not one of them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would rate the likelihood of performing above expectations much higher than that of performing below expectations. The doomsayers on here that think we will lose to Fiji won't, but I'm not one of them.

I agree.

I think the expectation still has to be that we make the semi-finals.

Losing in the quarters is a failure (even if it means we only lost games we were not favoured to win).

Making the semi finals is a success.

Making the final or winning is obviously a massive over-achievement.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon 1987 and 2007 are the only Rugby World Cups where the winner has gone through without really being challenged.

I don't think a lucky escape from a game is an indication that a result wasn't good. It's part and parcel of these tournaments.
And even Jake White's South Africa got incredibly lucky with their draw (of course you can only play who's in front of you)

Looking at World Rankings, its the equivalent of this year playing Japan, Scotland, USA, Italy, Tonga, Australia and Scotland again to win the lot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And even Jake White's South Africa got incredibly lucky with their draw (of course you can only play who's in front of you)

Looking at World Rankings, its the equivalent of this year playing Japan, Scotland, USA, Italy, Tonga, Australia and Scotland again to win the lot.
Very lucky indeed.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I agree.

I think the expectation still has to be that we make the semi-finals.

Losing in the quarters is a failure (even if it means we only lost games we were not favoured to win).

Making the semi finals is a success.

Making the final or winning is obviously a massive over-achievement.

I would agree with that. We are ranked where we are partially because of the good form of Wales and Ireland, and partially because of the poor form of ourselves and South Africa, and England to a lesser extent. On neutral territory we should be competitive with all of those teams so equalising out the home advantage we should finish the tournament with a semis appearance and a top 4 ranking to be considered acceptable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would agree with that. We are ranked where we are partially because of the good form of Wales and Ireland, and partially because of the poor form of ourselves and South Africa, and England to a lesser extent. On neutral territory we should be competitive with all of those teams so equalising out the home advantage we should finish the tournament with a semis appearance and a top 4 ranking to be considered acceptable.
We ended up having to host the Grand Slam winners for a three match tour twice in three years, right before both those teams form fell off. Rotten luck. We now have to face the Gran Slam winners in the group stages. AND we have to suffer through the most All Black matches.

All of this coinciding with our worst form in ages (decades?).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It used not to concern us at all which of the NH sides we met and where they were in their respective cycles of success. Now any one of the home nations (does that include Ireland?) scares the pants off us.

Status
Not open for further replies.