• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yeah, sure. There has been a whole season since. Paisami in WB terms was a no-name looking for his chance. At the start of the season, everyone decried the Reds use of Paisami and Petaia on the basis that we weren't doing the right thing by the WBs. Ikitau isn't Petaia by the way.

It is one thing when you are filling in for the 23, another entirely the you are (I think anyway) a starting XV.

To be fair, I'm not actually that concerned where he goes, it's more the fan selection that somehow think shifting him for a lessor player is acceptable. When we have options in the slot he is moved to.

Doesn't make sense to me anyway.

I'd be giving this a shot :-
10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: Perese; 13: Paisami
before :-
10: JOC (James O'Connor) 12: Paisami; 13 Ikitau :-
but it should probably be, depending on how To'omua shapes up in training
10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: To'omua; 13: Paisami
And I'd look to this before the first one:
10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: Simone; 13 Paisami

I'd also be thinking about where Kerevi is in the run to RWC but only if 10 is looking to cut out passes through the game.

If Paisami is seen as the best 13, as I do obviously, then when you look for the most appropriate 12 it isn't Paisami he's already on the field. If you think Ikitau is the best 13 then selecting Paisami at 12 has some logic. That is not where I am.

Dru, Perese at 12 - is that not precisely what you are criticising about the suggestions that Paisami should have the 12 jersey?

You and I disagree about Paisami. You think he's the best 13, I believe he is the best 12 and 13. I then have a feeling that he could be one of our best ever 12s if he takes on that spot.

Reactions: dru

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
14FE918E-BE2C-44F9-87A0-FC891148D4BD.jpeg

Hope there is scope to change, the 25th is AFL gf & nrl pre lim day

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 1 and 2 TT has unlocked some valuable insights. The World Cup is only around the corner and my take on our best Wallabies’ team has changed dramatically. The players we have all mentioned at being the ‘best’ right now will not be competitive, so looking at the players in our U20’s team two years ago need to be groomed like never before. Those players need to study the Crusaders (and AB) in their respective positions in all aspects of the game, including combinations. The player’s who I see who can do this are Bell, Tupou, Tizano, Valentino, Hosea, Fraser, Wilson, McDermott, Lolesio, and Paisami. Every other player in contention needs to work bloody hard on their game fitness and consistent skill base. Its not a given for AAA, Faianga, Hooper, To'omua, White, and JOC (James O'Connor).
JOC (James O'Connor) is not a test flyhalf, and I would be looking more to Lolesio. Banks ATM is not a test fullback leaving the door open.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Round 1 and 2 TT has unlocked some valuable insights. The World Cup is only around the corner and my take on our best Wallabies’ team has changed dramatically. The players we have all mentioned at being the ‘best’ right now will not be competitive, so looking at the players in our U20’s team two years ago need to be groomed like never before. Those players need to study the Crusaders (and AB) in their respective positions in all aspects of the game, including combinations. The player’s who I see who can do this are Bell, Tupou, Tizano, Valentino, Hosea, Fraser, Wilson, McDermott, Lolesio, and Paisami. Every other player in contention needs to work bloody hard on their game fitness and consistent skill base. Its not a given for AAA, Faianga, Hooper, To'omua, White, and JOC (James O'Connor).
JOC (James O'Connor) is not a test flyhalf, and I would be looking more to Lolesio. Banks ATM is not a test fullback leaving the door open.
Not sure he’ll make it in 2021 but would throw Frost in the mix, thought he was very good in a well beaten side yesterday.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

We have been given a lesson on how good Aaron Smith and Richie Mo'unga are as 9 and 10. They are streets ahead sadly of our best 9 and 10, but I reckon streets ahead of other countries 9 and 10 combo.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Its kinda of amazing how easily the Kiwis have contained Tupou.
I reckon it’s because we play so one out and are predictable, like this guys gonna do this or that guys gonna do that. The kiwi teams, even the “bad” ones come at you like a wave. Last night it was obvious when Tupou or Vunivalu were going to get the ball as they didn’t have support/decoy runners in motion around them. It’s not hard to defend that. As a roll on from that, because the kiwis have more players in motion they’re not scrambling to be in support or make that vital clean out off a break. It could be the overall strength of the kiwi teams means it less obvious which ball runner is getting the ball. It just seems our teams attacking structures lack the sophistication to really unleash a player like Tupou, it’s an u10s game plan, give it to the big kid …..

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’m still confident the Wallabies will give NZ a good crack.

The issue with the current beltings in super rugby is lack of depth compared to uber depth in NZ. It is being discussed at length in other threads so I won’t go into detail here but I think our best 23 mixes it well with the all blacks.

Bit of a reality check for the blokes in Oz who thought they were hot shit is good as well.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, even just at scrum time though.
They might be more use to giant units angling in at THP? But seriously, it’s like QC (Quade Cooper), he used to make some teams look foolish in attack with his trick plays. But the kiwis could usually keep him in check because he played their style.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Tupou was one of the too few guys who gave the Crusdaders trouble last night. He’s biggest issue was ball control and that wasn’t anything the Kiwis were doing.

It’s not like he was making 30 metre runs every time he touched the ball in Super AU.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tupou made 7 runs for 22 metres. That’s reasonable.

Only 1 tackle from 3 attempts though.

Every starting Reds player had at least 1 missed tackle. Most had multiple.