• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Dave Rennie on Cooper: 'He’s applying pressure on us for selection.”

In terms of Lolo consider that Rennie has also said (about Cooper): "His ability for pass selection or kicking options has been spot on and it’s been really good from a training perspective for us."

From where I sit, if Rennie selects Lolo it means he believes that Lolo is matching this standard. And then has other strengths ahead of Cooper. If true, it is very good.

Interesting times.
Or can tackle

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is quality for half the game, always has been

I would rather a "lessor" player who can function in attack and defence than trying to hide someone for half the game

I see those continual compromises in player selection half the problem with aus rugby, more footballers, less athletes for me thanks

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Couldn't agree more with this. When did the Wallabies become a developmental team?? They are the pinnacle of the sport in Australia and we should always pick the side we think will give us the best chance of winning. I rate Lolesio highly and can see him being a fantastic Wallabies 10 but at the moment he has serious flaws in his game that need to be developed in Super Rugby and off the bench for now
So, once his flaws have been developed to a higher degree, we can be confident he will match the rest of the Wallabies troubled backline?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A rumoured Wallabies A v Force (and/or WA Gold) match for non-Bled-III players being held Saturday.
What a great idea.
The non-XXIII have been training and isolated in Perth since Bled II.
They would be champing at the bit for some realistic contact.
Good to put pressure on those selected for the test and bring more depth and recent game time to the RC squad.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What a great idea.
The non-XXIII have been training and isolated in Perth since Bled II.
They would be champing at the bit for some realistic contact.
Good to put pressure on those selected for the test and bring more depth and recent game time to the RC squad.

They don't have 46 players in camp so have to either find extras to fill in or not field a full bench.

Assuming they keep as close to their previous team as possible (not my personal choice just for sake of argument)

1. Slipper 2. Amosa 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Swain 5. Phillip
6. Swinton 8. Valetini 7. Hoops
9. White 10. Lolesio 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Kerevi 14. Kellaway 15. Banks
16. Kaituu 17. Bell 18. Thor 19. Rodda 20. Wilson 21. Mcdermott 22. Ikitau 23. Hodge

then you got
1. Sio 2. Lonergan 3. Pone
4. Leota 5. Frost
6. Samu 8. Naisarani 7. Mcreight
9. Gordon 10. Quade 11. Wright 12. Foketi 13. Petaia 14. Muirhead 15. DP
16. Mcinerney 17. Robertson 18.....? 19.....? 20.....? 21. Lonergan 22.....? 23.....?

Could use 18. Holmes, 19. Timani 20. Anstee 22. Godwin 23. Kahui

But that would gut a WA team

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Slightly off-topic but what happened to Godwin?

A few years back, he was the guy who many people here thought would be the next Aussie Super Rugby sensation and Wallaby. Or is this a different Godwin?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Same Godwin, lucky to be starting for the Force in my view. Never kicked on like people wanted.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They don't have 46 players in camp so have to either find extras to fill in or not field a full bench.

Assuming they keep as close to their previous team as possible (not my personal choice just for sake of argument)

4. Swain 5. Phillip
9. White 10. Lolesio 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Kerevi 14. Kellaway 15. Banks
16. Kaituu 17. Bell 18. Thor 19. Rodda 20. Wilson 21. Mcdermott 22. Ikitau 23. Hodge

then you got
4. Leota 5. Frost
16. Mcinerney 17. Robertson 18...? 19...? 20...? 21. Lonergan 22...? 23...?

Assuming this game is true, I'd leave the Force proper alone and throw some academy players in the 'A' team. What a thrill for them, let alone the developmental traits.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Playing some young guys in the A team would be great. Keep the Force as strong as possible and let some young guys run out with some quality team mates. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Same Godwin, lucky to be starting for the Force in my view. Never kicked on like people wanted.
He may not have reached the heights that the media and sourounding hype set for him, but he is very decent player and all round nice guy. Strong defender with a decent left foot as well. He was skipper of the Force for part of the season and was on the list of possible Wallaby call up for the French series, so not sure why you think he was lucky to be starting.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
2021 ‘First Nations’ design
617B6FB1-E8A9-4EED-8647-22671A355456.jpeg

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He may not have reached the heights that the media and sourounding hype set for him, but he is very decent player and all round nice guy. Strong defender with a decent left foot as well. He was skipper of the Force for part of the season and was on the list of possible Wallaby call up for the French series, so not sure why you think he was lucky to be starting.
He's not a bad player but I thought Taefu was better for the Force.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Assuming this game is true, I'd leave the Force proper alone and throw some academy players in the 'A' team. What a thrill for them, let alone the developmental traits.
I got a bit excited by the rumour, guys, sorry. The hit out is happening Saturday, to that extent it's true.

But Premier semifinals are on this weekend with top clubs retaining their best players. Won't be the Force side out there - a better description would just be an opposed training game.

Apologies

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Couldn't agree more with this. When did the Wallabies become a developmental team?? They are the pinnacle of the sport in Australia and we should always pick the side we think will give us the best chance of winning. I rate Lolesio highly and can see him being a fantastic Wallabies 10 but at the moment he has serious flaws in his game that need to be developed in Super Rugby and off the bench for now

When did the Wallabies become a developmental team?

When the starting options have less upside, it would be great to have an in form quality 10 with plenty of quality tests to ease him into test rugby, but we don't and he has not been the issue with this team.

The 12 outside him is there to provide some stability, but instead he throws long dumb passes for intercepts - and he should know better

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Slightly off-topic but what happened to Godwin?

A few years back, he was the guy who many people here thought would be the next Aussie Super Rugby sensation and Wallaby. Or is this a different Godwin?
'next big thing' syndrome.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I got a bit excited by the rumour, guys, sorry. The hit out is happening Saturday, to that extent it's true.

But Premier semifinals are on this weekend with top clubs retaining their best players. Won't be the Force side out there - a better description would just be an opposed training game.

Apologies
It's a great concept though, just a pity about the timing. With qpr finishing this weekend it would be a great option during the rugby championship, could even get a force touring side over and see if any of the other test squads want a mid-week squad hit out for a mini-tournament in tandum with the Championship. Probably a pipe dream, but I hope someone is at least trying to make this stuff happen.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

4. Swain 5. Phillip

then you got
4. Leota 5. Frost
16. Mcinerney 17. Robertson 18...? 19...? 20...? 21. Lonergan 22...? 23...?

I think it will be like the games v arg last yr where blokes out of the shute shield played just to get enough players.

You left off Uelese completely, did you forget about him or is he on the sidelines again?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think it will be like the games v arg last yr where blokes out of the shute shield played just to get enough players.

You left off Uelese completely, did you forget about him or is he on the sidelines again?
Pretty sure he went back to Melbourne when Kaitu'u was fit again: