• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hodge was good in the areas where Banks is not strong. He has good vision and can break the line, coming in at opportune times. He also has a very accurate boot.
Petaia is my horse in that race.

Hodge creates more indecision in the defence when he has the ball in hand IMO, he runs the ball in both hands and looks for the pass option. I find Banks tends to commit to a carry/run return early and sticks the ball under his arm, doesn’t seem to look for the pass option as much, It just makes it easier for the defence to read.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it’s a big ask for our domestic lads to tour and then quarantine when they return considering we then need to turn around and expect them to lead our Super Rugby sides in a trans Tasman comp.

so I’m for heavily relying on overseas players. Might lose some cohesion but it lets them all know where looking at them.

a team like

15 Beale
14 Morahan
13 Kuridrani
12 Kerevi
11 Koroibete
10 Cooper
9 Phipps
8 Naisirani
7 Gill
6 McMahon
5 Skelton
4 Arnold
3 S Talakai
2 Latu
1 JP Smith ??

With a backup squad of

15 Maddocks
14 Lynagh
13 CFS
12 Paiaaua
11 Taqele N
10 Hegarty
9 Meehan
8 Cottrell
7 Fainga'a
6 Dempsey
5 Coleman
4 Simmons
3 Kepu ??
2 BPA
1 Hoskins

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
it’s a big ask for our domestic lads to tour and then quarantine when they return considering we then need to turn around and expect them to lead our Super Rugby sides in a trans Tasman comp.

so I’m for heavily relying on overseas players. Might lose some cohesion but it lets them all know where looking at them.

a team like

15 Beale
14 Morahan
13 Kuridrani
12 Kerevi
11 Koroibete
10 Cooper
9 Phipps
8 Naisirani
7 Gill
6 McMahon
5 Skelton
4 Arnold
3 S Talakai
2 Latu
1 JP Smith ??

With a backup squad of

15 Maddocks
14 Lynagh
13 CFS
12 Paiaaua
11 Taqele N
10 Hegarty
9 Meehan
8 Cottrell
7 Fainga'a
6 Dempsey
5 Coleman
4 Simmons
3 Kepu ??
2 BPA
1 Hoskins
L Lynagh to get a cap v Japan to lock him in? :)

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hodge was good in the areas where Banks is not strong. He has good vision and can break the line, coming in at opportune times. He also has a very accurate boot.
Petaia is my horse in that race.
Hodge was pretty solid all things considered, however 'vision' is definitely not one of his attributes. It was a little frustrating watching him put up high-ball after high-ball without even considering whether running the ball was an option (and it was definitely on at various times).

The guy undoubtedly has a great work ethic but as always everything he does just seems like hard work. I don't think there's much separating Banks/ Hodge but we can still do better.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm on board the Kellaway to 15 train. He doesn't have the raw pace of an out and out winger, but he has all the skills. Stick him at 15.
If it was between Banks and Beale I’d take the latter, but I think longer term Kellaway is the solution, or Petaia, I’d like to see him get a run there too. I banged on enough about it last week so will leave it alone now, but I’m definitely on that train too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently 36 members will tour, so around 6 players from the current squad will be cut
Is that 36 + OS based players, or 36 including OS players? If it's the latter more than 6 will be cut. 10+ might be.

You'd have to think any WA or QLD players have a reason not want to go because it's 99% sure they'll have two week quarantine at the end. VIC, ACT & NSW have varying chances of reduced or no quarantine at the end.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is that 36 + OS based players, or 36 including OS players? If it's the latter more than 6 will be cut. 10+ might be.

You'd have to think any WA or QLD players have a reason not want to go because it's 99% sure they'll have two week quarantine at the end. VIC, ACT & NSW have varying chances of reduced or no quarantine at the end.

“Approximately 36 players will travel but officials are expected to invite a handful of European-based players in for national duty”

Last game is 21 November, so those from QLD/WA etc should be out of quarantine around 6th December, if they stay on for the Barbarians game then it will be out of quarantine by the 13th December.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Muirhead
Foketi
To'omua
Wilson
Hosea
Sio

would be my guesses.

Rennie has already said Koroibete is returning to his family, so he'll be out. There maybe similar considerations for the others - at a guess I'd say the new fathers Paisami, Ala'alatoa and Salakaia-Loto are probably less likely to travel, beyond that it'll likely come down to individual circumstances.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rennie has already said Koroibete is returning to his family, so he'll be out. There maybe similar considerations for the others - at a guess I'd say the new fathers Paisami, Ala'alatoa and Salakaia-Loto are probably less likely to travel, beyond that it'll likely come down to individual circumstances.
I think so far Koroibete is returning for the week with his family, can still leave Melbourne and travel with them overseas. No HQ requirements in Europe.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think so far Koroibete is returning for the week with his family, can still leave Melbourne and travel with them overseas. No HQ requirements in Europe.
The way I heard it he was done for the year, but that could be my interpretation rather than what Rennie specifically said.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The way I heard it he was done for the year, but that could be my interpretation rather than what Rennie specifically said.
Ah that would be a real shame then. Not sure when we'll see him in Gold next. Definitely need another winger to step up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Have to imagine the plan is to keep him involved like Kerevi, but otherwise Daugunu and Vunivalu are clearly the candidates they're hoping will fill that role.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Have to imagine the plan is to keep him involved like Kerevi, but otherwise Daugunu and Vunivalu are clearly the candidates they're hoping will fill that role.
I really don't see it in Vunivalu yet. Very, very rough and sounds like he's trying to get back to League. Would rather focus on Daugunu/Wright/Muirhead.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I'm hoping by the time they come back, the QLD Govt will be allowing home quarantine for double Vaxxed people (Tom Decent reported all Wallabies are).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm hoping by the time they come back, the QLD Govt will be allowing home quarantine for double Vaxxed people (Tom Decent reported all Wallabies are).
End of November seems way too early for QLD, definitely WA. Here's hoping though!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
They are going to Japan first.

Maybe they'll leave him in Japan
Maybe he will skip Japan and meet the team in europe after a longer break.
Maybe he's just done.

Guess we will find out!