• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Beale would have been very useful last year for the Tahs.

This year... maybe. Next year? Hmph. Not sure. His best years are clearly behind him and culturally you could make an argument either way.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’m gonna say it, on current form I’d have Beale ahead of Hodge & Banks for 15. Not that means much now as there’s a lot of games between now & the next test. But he’s a quality player in a position we aren’t flush with.
I probably would too but more as an enditement of lack of quality test fullback options

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I get the underwhelming reaction to Banks and Hodge, but that still doesn’t elevate Beale above them based on anything we’ve seen in recent years…
I think what we are all hoping for is better fullback options to emerge eg petaia. Not against Beale returning and bolstering tahs stocks though as I accept pro rugby options skinny pickings in oz sides competing with higher paying European and Japanese clubs.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Any money wasted by RA on Beales contract would be better spent on keeping other plays in the Australian system.

A geriatric Beale as a third string Fullback adds little to no value to a Wallabies team who are funded by a struggling RA. May as well ask Foley to return for the 23 RWC as well.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought Beale played quite well in the final test after no time with the squad in an already disrupted backline.

Anyway, I reckon he'll make the squad unless there's a true uncapped smokie miraculously appears.

I think if I find myself with enough free time I'll make a highlights package of his form over the past season. He still has his x-factor and significant speed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Any money wasted by RA on Beales contract would be better spent on keeping other plays in the Australian system.

A geriatric Beale as a third string Fullback adds little to no value to a Wallabies team who are funded by a struggling RA. May as well ask Foley to return for the 23 RWC as well.
Funny you mention Foley. Go watch the weekend's highlights for Kubota Spears. There's a man that's truly phoned it in and is on the Teriyaki Gravy train. Single handedly lost the game with two shocking kicks. Beale is in much better form.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Funny you mention Foley. Go watch the weekend's highlights for Kubota Spears. There's a man that's truly phoned it in and is on the Teriyaki Gravy train. Single handedly lost the game with two shocking kicks. Beale is in much better form.
Jap league kinda seems like that, though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Beale is the king of playing just well enough to add more pages to a thread about his possible selection.
Well summed up…moments of brilliance mixed with
I thought Beale played quite well in the final test after no time with the squad in an already disrupted backline.

Anyway, I reckon he'll make the squad unless there's a true uncapped smokie miraculously appears.

I think if I find myself with enough free time I'll make a highlights package of his form over the past season. He still has his x-factor and significant speed.
every time I think we are done with Beale he shows what we are missing. I was not sad to see him go when left tahs but recent tests suggest may still have something more to offer so I go back on the fence for Beale.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

If the Tahs can get him for a good price, he'd be useful for them. He should have to earn any top-up based on what he does back here, if he does it. Big if.
I don't really agree that the money they might give him is really going to keep a good player here - they are getting offered silly money overseas, hence they go. We can't match it, and I doubt RA will be throwing a big pile at Beale. But I agree with the principle to not waste it. I think they're smarter now. Few years back, not so sure.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Never had Teriyaki Gravy. Sounds odd.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Sad indictment on our stocks of international quality fullbacks if Beale is still getting mentioned as a chance.

His X factor is being unpredictable and occasional brilliant in attack . Unfortunately the only predictable facet of his plays are the shit bits that for any other player only get overlooked when they are young and showing some promise. He not young or showing promise!
Please someone put their hand up….

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Urgh no thanks to Beale. Maybe at the Tahs I guess.

One of my favourite players but he's been past it for years now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sad indictment on our stocks of international quality fullbacks if Beale is still getting mentioned as a chance.
Well, yeah. It's clearly close to our weakest position.

It's a position where most sides can field an absolute game breaker in a really influential position and we are struggling to find someone to make the jersey their own.

It's not Beale's fault he's actually still a contender for the 2023 RWC.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Petaia can make fist of playing fullback for the Reds, and I am firmly in the IF camp, he could turn the position into a strength.

For years he was touted as the Wallabies next best thing in the centres, considering that level of hype, I think people should at least be excited about the prospect that he could thrive at the back.