• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
This is a nice warm cup of depresso.
Enjoying the dismal turn this thread has taken.

AFpya.gif

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The Link vs Beale thing is a hard hypothetical, mainly because we still don't know what was really happening behind the scenes. Which is funny these days when dirty laundry is aired minutes after a coach/player leaving the room.

Was the Beale thing indicative of broader problems in the dressing room, which his departure may have exacerbated? Or would KBs leaving help the general dynamic? It's impossible to know the answer unless you were there. Which none of us were.

The boring answer is I don't think either would have made an enormous difference to our fortunes today. The McKenzie Wallabies were really no better or worse than the Deans Wallabies, and the Cheika Wallabies afterwards (barring the World Cup run). Taking Beale out of that mix probably wouldn't have helped or hindered that.
I always thought Link was capable of using the same playing group and putting into play completely different game plans for each opponent. He demonstrated this ability while at the Reds with vastly different plans (I assume they came from the coach) against different styles of play. When playing a lineout champion team like the Bulls it would be a vastly different plan to a team that relies on kick returns from broken play. The game plan v B&I Lions looked good for half of the game until a partly second string Reds were overrun by quality opposition.

I don't think Cheika was capable of this flexibility, but that does not make him a poor coach, just not the best coach.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
FFS! Everything that is ever going to be said about Link and Cheika has been tossed over one hundred times. It's old news and boring as fuck! There's a fucking test in five fucking days. Move on.
totally agree, we should hold off discussing previous coaches abilities until we know if we win. If we lose the flood gates will probably open again

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe the moderators could prevent input that is not related to the thread heading?

If the Wallabies lose the first test in Perth, they're going to have a hard time winning the series, unless the coaching team dramatically change tactics.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe the moderators could prevent input that is not related to the thread heading?

If the Wallabies lose the first test in Perth, they're going to have a hard time winning the series, unless the coaching team dramatically change tactics.
They are going to have a hard time winning period.

Their pack is, particularly without Tupou, better and more experienced than ours and as Fatprop is always at pains to point out, this is where the game is won or lost.

I would take Lawes and Itoje over any of our 4, 5, 6 options.

As much as I love Hoops you'd be hard pressed not to pick Underhill over him for his dominance on the defensive side of the ball.

Their first choice hooker isn't uncapped.

Our one area of strength, THP, is now potentially another area of weakness.

As exciting as Valetini and Wilson are - Billy V has 60 caps and is apparently in damaging form.

Etc - as usual we are going to struggle.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While not necessarily disagreeing with you Derpus, I have clients like you!
Before I ring them, I have to brace myself for 20 minutes of 'the sky's going to fall in' doom and gloom, and a lecture on all that's wrong with the world.
Anyway, you keep us mindless optimists grounded, and I enjoy your contribution. :)

Marce

John Thornett (49)

Their pack is, particularly without Tupou, better and more experienced than ours and as Fatprop is always at pains to point out, this is where the game is won or lost.

As much as I love Hoops you'd be hard pressed not to pick Underhill over him for his dominance on the defensive side of the ball.

As exciting as Valetini and Wilson are - Billy V has 60 caps and is apparently in damaging form.

So another clean sweep by Pommies. Interesting

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)

There's no way Underhill and Billy V both start. If Underhill is at 7 Curry is at 8. If Curry is at 7 Billy is probably at 8.

FWIW I'd take Hooper before both Underhill and Curry everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Agree though their pack is shaping up very nicely, hookers not only not uncapped but both Lions. As will be the 4,5,6 combination of Itoje, Hill and Lawes.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Two good coaches in Jones and Rennie.
I‘m optimistic that Australia will hold them in the forwards and beat them in the backs.Aussie back three will feel they are in a London bombing raid from WW2 I reckon though.
Cooper to be the difference… I’m assuming he will be starting 10.
Australia 2-1
Gotta love beating the bloody Poms at anything!! And Eddie too!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
totally agree, we should hold off discussing previous coaches abilities until we know if we win. If we lose the flood gates will probably open again

This is like the Stan’s classics collection where if we have slow rugby day we can rehash the 1000 different where to for super rugby day arguments, discuss the last 10 poor wallabies coaches, or any other zillion circular threads that get rehashed on here. Often wondered if G&GR threads are a great example of the circular economy in action.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it will be 2-1. Which way is what I currently can't decide.

I actually am not game to predict. But at this stage whilst support for Rennie I would say he needs an England series win to show he is making progress. As at this point really pluses were wins against South Africa last year in RC but end of year NH tour I would say was a disaster results wise.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This is like the Stan’s classics collection where if we have slow rugby day we can rehash the 1000 different where to for super rugby day arguments, discuss the last 10 poor wallabies coaches, or any other zillion circular threads that get rehashed on here. Often wondered if G&GR threads are a great example of the circular economy in action.
It reminds me of the media outrage that follows the calendar.

Invasion Day v Australia Day
Should Daylight savings be all year
Should we have Australia Day
Should we have Halloween
A school has banned Christmas Carols

They all get a run every year to provide a week of outrage