• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Freddie Steward is everything Reece Hodge should have been.

If you’re going to be a 6ft 2 plus athletic specimen who never breaks a tackle- at least make sure you catch absolutely every high ball.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Interesting world rugby precedent from SAF v Sco game a few years back. Low force,mitigating circumstances, no suspension. Will be interesting to see if there’s consistency

“A release from rugby union’s global governing body outlined that Kolisi’s actions contravened law 9.12 – striking with the head – but merited only a citing commissioner’s warning because they “did not meet the red card threshold” and were only conducted with “moderate force”.

Another mitigating factor, that Horne was pinning down Kolisi in a bid to take him out of the game, was taken into account by American official David Pelton. World Rugby said: “The citing commissioner determined that there were mitigating factors which meant that the action did not meet the red card threshold, including the player being illegally prevented from re-joining the play.”

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Freddie Steward is everything Reece Hodge should have been.

If you’re going to be a 6ft 2 plus athletic specimen who never breaks a tackle- at least make sure you catch absolutely every high ball.
Steward doesn't seem to be particularly great. Yeah he can catch a bomb... Hardly Will Jordan is he?

Without May, Daly or Watson England's back three is nowhere near as scary as it used to be.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I can't see Kellaway not being selected at 15

I thought he was one of our best, his work at 15 was excellent, safe, composed and smart

His hard work to get into position to just unselfishly get the ball to Petaia is what we need more of
Whenever I see Kellaway I think back to Auck schools rugby. Blokes like him NEVER got a look in, just cos of what they looked like. Always passed over in favour of the next PI freight train specimen who just burned you on the outside..... and because no one could ever stop him, he never learned to do anything else.

Turns out having those physical limitations might really help your spatial awareness in the long run.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting world rugby precedent from SAF v Sco game a few years back. Low force,mitigating circumstances, no suspension. Will be interesting to see if there’s consistency

“A release from rugby union’s global governing body outlined that Kolisi’s actions contravened law 9.12 – striking with the head – but merited only a citing commissioner’s warning because they “did not meet the red card threshold” and were only conducted with “moderate force”.

Another mitigating factor, that Horne was pinning down Kolisi in a bid to take him out of the game, was taken into account by American official David Pelton. World Rugby said: “The citing commissioner determined that there were mitigating factors which meant that the action did not meet the red card threshold, including the player being illegally prevented from re-joining the play.”
I'm not sure you can draw many parallels with Kolisi's due to the very different circumstances: in a live ruck using a flailing action as opposed to well off the ball and with clear intent to strike.

Swain obviously provoked, but no excuse for striking. Will rightfully cop a ban, and can only hope that Hill's actions (both the hair pulling and striking/push) will similarly be looked at.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I'm not sure you can draw many parallels with Kolisi's due to the very different circumstances: in a live ruck using a flailing action as opposed to well off the ball and with clear intent to strike.

Swain obviously provoked, but no excuse for striking. Will rightfully cop a ban, and can only hope that Hill's actions (both the hair pulling and striking/push) will similarly be looked at.
Looks worse to me - deliberate and more force. And it’s the same law.
Shows there is precedent regarding amount of force and mitigation
But the judiciary lottery will determine the outcome regardless

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whenever I see Kellaway I think back to Auck schools rugby. Blokes like him NEVER got a look in, just cos of what they looked like.

Ihaia West, Finlay Christie and Tom Robinson all had a pretty good crack. Seems like Auckland are the only place that gives them a go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If someone can correct me on this it would be great but it would seem that Will Skelton neither had a judiciary hearing after his Barbarians red card nor received a suspension.

Obviously he isn't scheduled to play any rugby in the near future which is maybe why that was the case but it is interesting that there doesn't seem to be any mention of it anywhere.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't be surprised if he's training with the squad, but it's also likely his presence is to make up for the lack of Indigenous representation in the squad...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I believe it was originally suggested that Beale wouldn't be considered until the Rugby Championship to give him more time to recover from an injury received in France but it did seem to be substantially a case of not needing him for the July series.

If he's fit now he's a strong chance to be considered.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Whenever I see Kellaway I think back to Auck schools rugby. Blokes like him NEVER got a look in, just cos of what they looked like. Always passed over in favour of the next PI freight train specimen who just burned you on the outside..... and because no one could ever stop him, he never learned to do anything else.

Turns out having those physical limitations might really help your spatial awareness in the long run.

Yep. Kellaway has turned into a very smart footballer who knows exactly where he needs to be. You always want those blokes in your side to balance the power and speed of the freight trains you refer to. It's why Smith/Nonu worked so well - Smith had the awareness, running angles and hands and Nonu the sledgehammer (who developed those other skills and became a great).

Marce

John Thornett (49)

According Wikipedia he weighs 106 kg. Is it true? Looks too much for me