• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
England sound pretty flaky about starting him, he doesn’t even start for London Irish. Reading between the lines: the highlights are incredible but his game beyond solo incredible runs needs work and can be exposed.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Obviously there's a connection but he's on the Gold Coast and in kit, is he actually in the squad now?

aaronpaul-aaron.gif

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Quade being able to come back well after time and be completely effective is lightning sticking twice with the same person 12 years apart.

For Kurtley it would be a repeat double strike. A fourth lightning bolt from the rugby heavens, hell yeah!

Let me say the same I had been saying for Quade, now for Kurtley: Open the squad and see what he can contribute. If it's worth it, then let him start fighting for a slot. If the chance comes and we have the 4th lightning strike, sensational.

In the mean time both Quade and JOC (James O'Connor) can handle a 10/15 bench option, Hodge can do more than that, I'd let Lolo at 15 for the last 10 if we had too, but Petaia will go to 15 as a reserve before Beale and we have better bench options than that to cover the backline.

I'll not be complaining with anything that Rennie does, but this does seem a long shot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Quade being able to come back well after time and be completely effective is lightning sticking twice with the same person 12 years apart.

For Kurtley it would be a repeat double strike. A fourth lightning bolt from the rugby heavens, hell yeah!

Let me say the same I had been saying for Quade, now for Kurtley: Open the squad and see what he can contribute. If it's worth it, then let him start fighting for a slot. If the chance comes and we have the 4th lightning strike, sensational.

In the mean time both Quade and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) can handle a 10/15 bench option, Hodge can do more than that, I'd let Lolo at 15 for the last 10 if we had too, but Petaia will go to 15 as a reserve before Beale and we have better bench options than that to cover the backline.

I'll not be complaining with anything that Rennie does, but this does seem a long shot.
Not sold on JOC (James O'Connor) to be honest. He can cover the bench but hopefully we won't end up in a position where he is sole playmaker/kicker.

Also with Lightblue on KB (Kurtley Beale).

Marce

John Thornett (49)
It's not the same to play at 10 and 15. Come on! JOC (James O'Connor) can't play at 15 at international level. He could be an easy target for the young speedsters. He haven't played there for a long time, even at Super Rugby level.

The same with KB (Kurtley Beale), fullback is a do or die position. Speed is the number one feature needed there. He can play at 10 at his age but not at 15 and he never has been a good 10 IMO.

To win a WC you need FAST outside backs like Jason Robinson in 2003, Bryan Habana in 2007 or Israel Dagg in 2011.

The kind of fullback that can play at that age at international level is a reliable kicker with a good kicking game. Someone like Percy Montgomery or Leigh Halfpenny at his best. But KB (Kurtley Beale) has never been that kind of player

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's not the same to play at 10 and 15. Come on! JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) can't play at 15 at international level. He could be an easy target for the young speedsters. He haven't played there for a long time, even at Super Rugby level.

The same with KB (Kurtley Beale), fullback is a do or die position. Speed is the number one feature needed there. He can play at 10 at his age but not at 15 and he never has been a good 10 IMO.

To win a WC you need FAST outside backs like Jason Robinson in 2003, Bryan Habana in 2007 or Israel Dagg in 2011.

The kind of fullback that can play at that age at international level is a reliable kicker with a good kicking game. Someone like Percy Montgomery or Leigh Halfpenny at his best. But KB (Kurtley Beale) has never been that kind of player

Marce, did you not see Lolo at the back taking high ball in test #1? Won't be any different with Quade or JOC (James O'Connor). BUT yeah sure, we have Kellaway locking down 15, Petaia as a possible back up. I don't really want Koroibete there but to be ready to find opportunity in tired traffic on the blind side. So the third in the back three becomes FH - Lolesio probably.

For simply fast backs we have Koroibete, Petaia, Kellaway, Ikitau and even Vunivalu at a pinch.

It is argumentative agreement though - with you on Kurtley. We have not been talking about a 15 in reality but a 23 or perhaps someone on the field dropping back to 15. A bench option for 10/15 is not that unusual.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Beale's speed hasn't dropped off like O'Connor's, it might not be like when he was 21, but KB (Kurtley Beale) still has wheels.

On the kicking, in the warm up Kerevi, Ikitau and Kellaway were all putting them over from impressive angles. Obviously not ideal kickers for an entire game but can fill in.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be clear, KB (Kurtley Beale) is trying to make the RWC squad as the last or second last back picked. I don't think he's in our best 23 but he offers versatility which is valuable in a squad of limited numbers.

As we saw on the EOYT last year there was a situation where he was needed and now with Banks injured and heading overseas it would seem that one of the key players ahead of Beale is almost entirely out of the race.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure if anyone noticed but I thought Jake Gordon played well for the few minutes he was on the field. Threw a great long pass I think to Poreki not long after running on… all the Tate lovers mightn’t agree, but I like him….also another long pass to set up Samu’s try…..

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not sure if anyone noticed but I thought Jake Gordon played well for the few minutes he was on the field. Threw a great long pass I think to Poreki not long after running on… all the Tate lovers mightn’t agree, but I like him….also another long pass to set up Samu’s try…..
It's not binary - thinking one is good doesn't make the other poor. We're lucky to have 3 pretty good options at 9, really. I think either Gordon or McDermott could be on the bench with little concern.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
It's not binary - thinking one is good doesn't make the other poor. We're lucky to have 3 pretty good options at 9, really. I think either Gordon or McDermott could be on the bench with little concern.
Yes….I agree, however usually note there are many who would prefer Tate, who I also think is great, but not too many sing the praises of Gordon at Wallaby level. Didn’t get much time, but did well….

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I know you New South Welshmen are used to Nick 'The Harbour Bridge" Phipps when it comes to passing, but low bar you've set if you're talking up about one long pass!

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I know you New South Welshmen are used to Nick 'The Harbour Bridge" Phipps when it comes to passing, but low bar you've set if you're talking up about one long pass!
Just thought after being on the bench for around 75 minutes …correct me if I’m wrong …but comes on and pretty much threw that in the first minute…hard to do I would think….and rest assured Queenslander ….you’ve given us Nick ’Blow a penalty for anything’ Berry!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just thought after being on the bench for around 75 minutes …correct if I’m wrong …but comes on and pretty much threw that in the first minute…hard to do I would think….and rest assured Queenslander ….you’ve given us Nick Berry!
Blow a penalty for anything…
Gordon did well and any pundit will tell you that. I think you are right to call it out as not enough on here given credit to the form Gordon showed this year and his minutes on the park supported this.

Tate good but I reckon Gordon offering just that little more composure you want at the clutch, which why I reckon selected Gordon over Tate.