• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't want a 12 who kicks the ball every time. It's disgusting and you can't beat the Pommies at their gameplan. They have more and better kickers

There was definitely a period where it seemed every single Kerevi touch was a kick. Some were better than OK. It's good to see the guy having actively developed his game and it's not a bad thing being ready to do it, but like you I was relieved when he started running again.

The "apparent excessive kicking" thing is not Kerevi though, that is the game plan. Possibly more finesse on implementation, but probably incorrect to think that if we put in an alternative 12 it means less kicking.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Kerevi is arguably the best in the world at his position. When you have those guys you feed them the ball. It is also a great way to test and exhaust Smith & Farrell. I agree I don't like seeing him kick but the combinations will continue to grow. Kerevi will get marked so hard it will open up for Ikitau and others hopefully.

I wish Tate was on the bench as the back up 9 but I understand Gordon had a fantastic year for the Tahs and was a real controller for them. Maybe Rennie is after a more mature head at the end of games? I think Tate has more potential long term though. Hopefully he gets some time soon.

Rae Rae

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It isn't hard to imagine as the years roll on, White finally settling back outside of the WBs, Gordon starting and Tate on the bench.

Gordon has definitely been under-recognised especially in a poor Waratahs with injury. This year he's been a bit more visible as the Tahs have stepped up. It's been said, but that is three very good half options for us.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All the talk but 75 minute to White shows Rennie's hand... And rightfully so.. White's easily the number 9

White is clearly first choice but I think the 75 minutes he spent on the field was as much a reflection of the pace of the game than anything else.

It wasn't a hugely expansive game where the 9 is going to be cooked in 50-60 minutes.

It certainly hints to Rennie wanting to play White as much as possible but I wouldn't assume it will be close to the 80 minutes every game. The 35 year old Danny Care played 79 minutes before being subbed.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
There was definitely a period where it seemed every single Kerevi touch was a kick. Some were better than OK. It's good to see the guy having actively developed his game and it's not a bad thing being ready to do it, but like you I was relieved when he started running again.

The "apparent excessive kicking" thing is not Kerevi though, that is the game plan. Possibly more finesse on implementation, but probably incorrect to think that if we put in an alternative 12 it means less kicking.
I’m thinking Kerevi was taking over some of Quade’s kicking duties too to lighten Noah’s load a touch.

As you said, it was clearly the game plan, and Kerevi executed it decently.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m thinking Kerevi was taking over some of Quade’s kicking duties too to lighten Noah’s load a touch.

As you said, it was clearly the game plan, and Kerevi executed it decently.

That is possible. Also if the 9 delivery is crisp and accurate enough, there is more time if the opposition is trying to shut down a 10 who is being targeted. Also also, they were expecting Kerevi to run (wouldn't you?) so they are likely looking for the tackle rather than to shut-down a kick, more time again.

All of that presumes he actually can kick and he rated a lot better than a pass mark.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought Kerevi's kicking was really good.

It's also a better spot to kick from a lot of the time because they should have more space and a better position to target both sides of the field.
Also sets up the game plan right. They weren't expecting it and now will watch for it in the coming tests (which will see him revert to smashing over blokes after being given more space)

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Also sets up the game plan right. They weren't expecting it and now will watch for it in the coming tests (which will see him revert to smashing over blokes after being given more space)
Yep - even when he started running more in the second half, there was a bit of concern from the English defence around whether he would kick. At around the 30sec mark in the video @Dctarget linked, you can see Kerevi momentarily shapes to put it on the toe, which stops the English in their tracks briefly, before holding on and making good metres. I don't imagine there would've been as much second-guessing had he not shown his intent to kick earlier in the match.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Hodge added to Wallabies squad. I'd pick him as 23 in the best case. I prefer to test Kellaway, Petaia and Wright

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
called it Saturday night, best option can cover anywhere in the backline & now the best thing for aus a & long term wallabies Stewart & Campbell can play in their best positions

When exactly is 27 year old Jock Campbell going to start being a long term Wallaby?

Stewart is only 24 still but while he may one day get a Wallabies cap it's really hard to see him being a regular test player. He's a very solid player but it feels like he's pretty close to his ceiling.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
When exactly is 27 year old Jock Campbell going to start being a long term Wallaby?

Stewart is only 24 still but while he may one day get a Wallabies cap it's really hard to see him being a regular test player. He's a very solid player but it feels like he's pretty close to his ceiling.

I don't see it with Stewart. Good defender and dependable but that's about it. Has a lot of fierce supporters as every young QLD prodigy does but I don't think Uncle Dave will be giving him a Test cap anytime soon.

Rae Rae

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Kerevi named in the 7's commonwealth games squad, does this impede on any of the Wallabies games?

I would say he misses the two tests in Argentina.

There is the potential he could play the second one but I view it as unlikely and he'll just be brought back for the home tests against South Africa.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely people said this about Neville and Porecki 4-5 years ago?

Given they both just debuted, anyone claiming previously that they were going to be long term Wallabies were clearly wrong.

Maybe Porecki is a chance now but I wouldn't be betting on it. After a great debut he's surely the frontrunner to be first choice at the RWC next year but long term? Pollard and Lonergan surely want to impact that decision and who knows who else might emerge in the next couple of years.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think most supporters are aware of his age and his pathway to where he is now, I don’t think many/any have said he will be a “long term” wallaby, doesn’t mean he hasn’t displayed the attributes which could earn him the opportunity.