• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tom Wright
Not sure Wright has the kicking game or tactical nous just yet. Hopefully this is rectified by some time in the saddle at the Brumbies next season.

Hodge should come in for his kicks for touch alone. How many times on Saturday did we see Noah/O'Connor kicks for touch fall a little short. Seemed like a few times we should have had a lineout 5 meters out but instead were between 10-15 meters due to safe kicks which took our rolling maul out of the equation. Not to mention JOC (James O'Connor)'s kick that failed to go out at a crucial stage of the game

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure Wright has the kicking game or tactical nous just yet. Hopefully this is rectified by some time in the saddle at the Brumbies next season.

Hodge should come in for his kicks for touch alone. How many times on Saturday did we see Noah/O'Connor kicks for touch fall a little short. Seemed like a few times we should have had a lineout 5 meters out but instead were between 10-15 meters due to safe kicks which took our rolling maul out of the equation. Not to mention JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)'s kick that failed to go out at a crucial stage of the game
Not sure if it's a "just yet" thing with Wright. He's an instinctive player that you hope his worth out weighs his cost. At Test level this is harder to do but I still see a lot of upside in him on the Wing. He reminds me a lot of Cory Jane.

Rae Rae

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd prefer Wright at fullback over Hodge, thought he played one of his best games there the other night. Was very safe under the high ball and his running threat in open play is the best we have. That said, a Vuni/Marika wing combo may expose us against the Poms and would require Noah to drop back for the tactical kicking battle that Eddie would more than likely employ. Because of that, it might end up seeing Hodge back there.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd prefer Wright at fullback over Hodge, thought he played one of his best games there the other night. Was very safe under the high ball and his running threat in open play is the best we have. That said, a Vuni/Marika wing combo may expose us against the Poms and would require Noah to drop back for the tactical kicking battle that Eddie would more than likely employ. Because of that, it might end up seeing Hodge back there.

Yeah but also the phisicality battle will be BRUTAL again. So probably in first half you need a player like Vunivalu and at the second half the kicking game of Hodge. Vunivalu is not a kicker but he has a good air skills and runs hard.

My call would be 11 Koroi, 15 Wright, 14 Vunivalu and 23 Hodge to cover 10, 12, 14 and 15. Maybe a 6/2 bench and send JOC (James O'Connor) home

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fair call.

I think both these players have a far more rounded game than we give them credit for because their main asset is so strong.

Rae Rae

yeah, I have a theory that the Japanese league actually enhances skills and decision making - I think we've seen that in each of Cooper, Kerevi and Marika who have each come back better in these areas. And that UK/Europe footy enhances physicality thus guys like Porecki, Philip, Arnold, Skelton did well over there.

Thus we pick backs playing in the Japan league and forwards playing oop norf.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Does anyone, who has been paying more attention than I, have a list of injured Wobs players and short/medium/long term diagnosis?

Was just thinking about Perese and how I haven't seen anything about the severity of it yet. Obviously looks like a serious one.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
yeah, I have a theory that the Japanese league actually enhances skills and decision making - I think we've seen that in each of Cooper, Kerevi and Marika who have each come back better in these areas. And that UK/Europe footy enhances physicality thus guys like Porecki, Philip, Arnold, Skelton did well over there.

Thus we pick backs playing in the Japan league and forwards playing oop norf.
Agree with this Reg.

I've chatted with quite a few guys who have done a stint over there and one of the common things I hear is that it isn't as physical. What that does is free up a bit more mental space for players to focus on other aspects of their play during the games.

Obviously the individual needs to have the desire to improve as well, otherwise they just rest on their laurels.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Agree with this Reg.

I've chatted with quite a few guys who have done a stint over there and one of the common things I hear is that it isn't as physical. What that does is free up a bit more mental space for players to focus on other aspects of their play during the games.
Sean McMahon has been very open about the fact he can play in Japan with less wear and tear on his body, and probably get paid more than he would in Super Rugby.

It seems pretty obvious why Japan is the preferred sabbatical destination!

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Sean McMahon has been very open about the fact he can play in Japan with less wear and tear on his body, and probably get paid more than he would in Super Rugby.

It seems pretty obvious why Japan is the preferred sabbatical destination!
McMahon also seems very content to have good offseason and time with his family etc...

If he is happy with his career who are we to suggest they play here, there or anywhere (not that anyone has) but I can see this becoming a more prevalent thing moving forward. I'd love to see him in Wallaby Gold but if you have other priorities that is your right and RA move onto other capable and keen players.

Rae Rae

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would wager that despite Noah coming on in leaps and bounds, which he has been, Quade still offers a more complete game. We need both of them and a decent 3rd option at 10 moving forward.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I would wager that despite Noah coming on in leaps and bounds, which he has been, Quade still offers a more complete game. We need both of them and a decent 3rd option at 10 moving forward.
Of course Quade offers a more complete game, he's been playing since Noah was in nappies