• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If Petaia can make fist of playing fullback for the Reds, and I am firmly in the IF camp, he could turn the position into a strength.

For years he was touted as the Wallabies next best thing in the centres, considering that level of hype, I think people should at least be excited about the prospect that he could thrive at the back.
I'd be happy if the kid can just get some consistent footy in one position under his belt.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd be happy if the kid can just get some consistent footy in one position under his belt.
Yep agreed

I am a broken record with this chat, but I think he's a prime example where promotion through the representative teams and professional pathways have actually hindered his progression. He would have served well developing his body and playing style in 1st grade for a year or so. But I understand the need to promote these blokes in certain circumstances, it's as much an issue about their own self-worth as it is selection policies. If the Reds didn't push him through the system, another team would have offered him that spot.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Petaia can make fist of playing fullback for the Reds, and I am firmly in the IF camp, he could turn the position into a strength.

For years he was touted as the Wallabies next best thing in the centres, considering that level of hype, I think people should at least be excited about the prospect that he could thrive at the back.

TBF he has had a rotten run of bad luck. Injury after injury, but above all the sudden loss of his father.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

He is a player suited to space which full back offers. Yep let’s see what he is like there…

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
RSA released their 2022 fixtures today, looks like we are playing 2 games over there & 2 games in Argentina. Probably fair but going to be tough to get a wallabies fix this year only 4 tests in aus & tough watching time zone wise for the away RC games.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
RSA released their 2022 fixtures today, looks like we are playing 2 games over there & 2 games in Argentina. Probably fair but going to be tough to get a wallabies fix this year only 4 tests in aus & tough watching time zone wise for the away RC games.

South Africa will be playing Wallabies twice in Australia in 2022.

Wallabies will have 2 away games vs Argentina, 2 home games vs South Africa, 2 homes games and 1 away game vs the All Blacks. In addition to the England test series.

So 6 homes games for the Wallabies in 2022.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Ah, what?

Australia and SA have TBC on venues - https://www.springboks.rugby/news-f...8/boks-home-test-schedule-for-2022-confirmed/

RSA and Argentina are splitting their games, so what makes you think we're playing two in Argentina?

The Kiwis understandably have been stuffed with their borders not opening till October which is why I'm guessing they're playing two matches in the Republic.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Ah, what?

Australia and SA have TBC on venues - https://www.springboks.rugby/news-f...8/boks-home-test-schedule-for-2022-confirmed/

RSA and Argentina are splitting their games, so what makes you think we're playing two in Argentina?

The Kiwis understandably have been stuffed with their borders not opening till October which is why I'm guessing they're playing two matches in the Republic.

earlier announced that we would be playing 2 games in ARG, dates & grounds set. On the fixtures it says South Africa v australia on both so I may have jumped the gun in thinking both were away.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Why are we playing them twice away? Especially South Africa?

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
With only six days before Super Rugby kicks off, I would like to offer my thoughts on the thirty three players that will bring Bill home.
Props. Orr, Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Slipper, Bell and Eloff.
Hookers. Kaitu’u, Ulese and BPA
Locks. Phillip,Rodda,Arnold and Swain
Blindsides. Leota and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner)
Open sides. Hooper,McReight and Samu
Number eights. Wilson and Valentini
Halves. White, McDermott and Fines Leleiwasa
Tens. Cooper and Lolesio
Centres. Kerevi,Ikitau and Petaia
Wings. Koroibete, Kellaway and Vunivalu
Fullbacks. Hodge and Beale
Selecting this squad gives an insight to the depth that we have in most positions, extremely hard to overlook Hanigan, Swinton, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Kemeny for a six role and would have loved to find a place for Carter Gordon. Still it is only one person’s opinion.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With only six days before Super Rugby kicks off, I would like to offer my thoughts on the thirty three players that will bring Bill home.
Blindsides. Leota and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner)
For mine Fergus Lee-Warner wasn't as good in 2021 as 2020 and I can't see him leap frogging Hanigan, Swinton, Salakaia-Loto Wright and Wells, just to name the guys who've featured in wallaby squads recently. As it stands he's going to have a harder time keeping a space in the Force 23 with they're increased options at lock. He's going to have to lift his game significantly to feature.

Can’t even select a starting XV for most Super Rugby teams let alone the Wallabies XV.

i think there will be a few Wallaby XV disrupters emerge this Super Rugby season give the youth of some of the teams.
It's going to be interesting to see who else manages to get a cap this year and I guess a fair bit might depend on what happens with eligibility laws. For mine there will be at least one prop (almost certainly a rebel with Eloff, Pone and Orr all in contention), a hooker (probably Mafi) and Vunivalu will almost certainly be capped if he stays healthy. Beyond that we might see a lock (Hosea and Frost the front runners) and one of the young 10s given a shot, probably Harrison or Donaldson over Gordon or Pasitoa with the time they'll spend at fullback this year giving them a bit of an edge.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
For mine Fergus Lee-Warner wasn't as good in 2021 as 2020 and I can't see him leap frogging Hanigan, Swinton, Salakaia-Loto Wright and Wells, just to name the guys who've featured in wallaby squads recently. As it stands he's going to have a harder time keeping a space in the Force 23 with they're increased options at lock. He's going to have to lift his game significantly to feature.

It's going to be interesting to see who else manages to get a cap this year and I guess a fair bit might depend on what happens with eligibility laws. For mine there will be at least one prop (almost certainly a rebel with Eloff, Pone and Orr all in contention), a hooker (probably Mafi) and Vunivalu will almost certainly be capped if he stays healthy. Beyond that we might see a lock (Hosea and Frost the front runners) and one of the young 10s given a shot, probably Harrison or Donaldson over Gordon or Pasitoa with the time they'll spend at fullback this year giving them a bit of an edge.
There is definitely depth building in most positions, I like FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) for his big engine and discipline aggression. It will be fascinating to see the impact Foote and Coleman will have on their teams as first year coaches. The Force could be in for a big year, top eight finish, under Sampson.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Can’t even select a starting XV for most Super Rugby teams let alone the Wallabies XV.

i think there will be a few Wallaby XV disrupters emerge this Super Rugby season give the youth of some of the teams.

Let's hope so. And of course there will be, there always are some upstarts who burst onto the scene.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
If Cooper, Hodge and Beale are still in the top 33 Wallabies in 12 months let alone 19 months when the RWC starts, they won’t be bringing Bill home. The next 12 month is crucial.
As yet we don’t have anyone nailing the fullback role, I would like to see Hodge as first choice Rebels fullback. He has the ability to play that extra ten role up in the line.
Cooper and Beale bring a huge amount of rugby ip to a team. We saw the importance of that when Cooper and Kerevi played against the Springboks and Ikitau’s maturity in the thirteen role. They may not be in the run on side in 2023 but their mentoring will be critical.
We have seen the impact when the Allblacks don’t have Aaron Smith calling the shots. Unfortunately we are losing huge amounts of our rugby ip to the northern hemisphere which improves their younger players at a far quicker rate than our own.