• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
We have a generation of Pocock wannabes coming through in Australian rugby, and it would be a shame to gridlock some of our best talent if they can fill the void in other positions. Good suggestion.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
People keep forgetting Daugunu is actually a good option for Fullback, odd that Tom Wright has been given a chance to run at 15 but not filipo.... filipo should play that 2nd fullback/wing option that NZ does with the 2 Jordan's .. with marika gone, i think Kellaway would be a better option at 15 for the wobblies than Banks, sorry but for the random tries Banks scored this year, he actually wasted more try scoring opportuniites by taking wrong options.. Hodge is the uiltimate bench option for 10/13/wing/15 , He is the Jordie Barrett of Australia rugby but with a bigger brain fart.. thus bench option only..Kurtley's finished, he should be forgotten after this weekend.. not sold on the Aussie Jordan......still too immature..needs another year of super rugby honestly..

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not one to throw stupid left field ideas around willy nilly so if I'm chucking this out their so you guys can make fun of me you know it's been rattling around in my head for a little while.
Anyway here goes nothing.
I think Rennie should talk to Thorn about playing Wilson at inside centre to see how he goes.
He's a tackling machine. He loves hitting it up. And his work ethic is right up there with the best.
I think it would work and make a huge difference to the Wallabies over the next few years.

I love the way that Eddie Jones experiments with excellent players and how they might fir in with a bit a creativity. This is in that mould, I like it. Don't know how it would go, but I'd definitely support the attempt to test it out thoroughly.

Drew

Dick Tooth (41)
Unfortunately rugby is such a position specific game, if Wilson moved to 12 he’d have to learn a new role there. If he fails there he’s given his time and opportunity to others in his best position. If someone coming through could be convinced early in their career, great. But I’d rather see Wilson work on his game at 8 as you could see him holding that spot for a while.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Reds - sounds like Petaia is going to get that shot at fullback which, if successful, could have a real impact on the Wallabies.

I still think Petaia's best position is 13. He is naturally a great defender in that channel and runs good lines. I don't like the idea of him at fullback. I feel like he will fall into being a utility. He is a great talent, and if he gets his body right I feel could truly be one of the great 13's, I don't think he will ever be one the great fullbacks - he will just be a decent one filling in a position with low depth.

I also think Campbell is a good fullback. He just needs a bit of size and maybe after a solid pre-season could have a breakout year in 2023.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I also think that Wilson is very much on the mind of Rennie and co. He had a breakout first year when he was excellent at #8 at the Reds and in test rugby. He is a more natural 8 than Valentini, who has really come on in leaps and bounds this year. Ultimately our best back row looks like Valentini, Hooper and Wilson.

This is where I put my money next year. Probably be Wilson 8 and Valentini 6. Having both Leota and Swinton as solid options is pretty good too.

If Hooper goes down, i also back McReight and Samu as solid cover. I think Rennie really needs to give McReight some game time next year to adapt to test rugby.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This is where I put my money next year. Probably be Wilson 8 and Valentini 6. Having both Leota and Swinton as solid options is pretty good too.

If Hooper goes down, i also back McReight and Samu as solid cover. I think Rennie really needs to give McReight some game time next year to adapt to test rugby.
Just that Swinton and Leota are better in the lineout.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
We've got an interesting comparison with Rahboni at the Waratahs who switched between I/C and backrow at the Sunwolves, he looked pretty good. Wilson would need to strip off a bit of bulk and work on his speed, but probably still young enough to make it work given enough coaching and game time..
why get smaller? Work on the speed and be big and fast.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not one to throw stupid left field ideas around willy nilly so if I'm chucking this out their so you guys can make fun of me you know it's been rattling around in my head for a little while.
Anyway here goes nothing.
I think Rennie should talk to Thorn about playing Wilson at inside centre to see how he goes.
He's a tackling machine. He loves hitting it up. And his work ethic is right up there with the best.
I think it would work and make a huge difference to the Wallabies over the next few years.
If we need a big bloke who loves contact and are prepared to move him from his normal starting spot then we may as well put Tupou at 12:). Good luck to the defensive lines when we play crash ball.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I still think Petaia's best position is 13. He is naturally a great defender in that channel and runs good lines. I don't like the idea of him at fullback. I feel like he will fall into being a utility. He is a great talent, and if he gets his body right I feel could truly be one of the great 13's, I don't think he will ever be one the great fullbacks - he will just be a decent one filling in a position with low depth.

I also think Campbell is a good fullback. He just needs a bit of size and maybe after a solid pre-season could have a breakout year in 2023.
I think Petaia's best spot is wing, I think he benefits from the side line limiting his options to playing front and left or front and right depending on what wing he is on.

Any other position and he has to deal with playing front, left and right.

I don't see him being a good 15 until he is older, I think he already tries to do to much due to his almost unlimited talent and I worry if he will be caught out trying to win every game on every touch.

I will no doubt be proven wrong.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A couple of brief comments Reg
I remain to be convinced that Petaia, despite his undoubted physical attributes, really has a football brain. As such, I think Banks is still the leading contender for FB, Hodge the back-up, but personally I would like to see a lot more of Kellaway there, he really has some smarts
At 10 JOC (James O'Connor) is looking more and more like a place-holder only. Lolesio is the obvious contender, but I remain to be convinced. I am a big Harrison fan, however he may finish up spending the season at 15. I haven't seen Carter Gordon, but by all accounts he is the messiah (now where have we heard that before?)
Leota looks to me to be our 6, however both Swinton and Wilson have this Super season to push their chances (in the case of Wilson with Valetini switching to 6). I think Ned will probably play lock when he returns, as the Tahs don't have any of them!
I agree that Mafi is the best available hooker. FF (Folau Fainga'a) is okay, but imo that's all. Uelese, Porecki (I obviously rate him higher than you), McInerney and Kaitu'u are all pretty even to me, and imo all clearly in front of Lonergan
Just my personal opinions, plenty will disagree
I disagree on Petaia not having a football brain as to me he does and getting smarter with more experience. Injuries to me is key thing hampering his development. I actually really like what he can offer as point of difference but wonder if injuries will prevent us ever seeing his full potential. To me he is a player you like to see what he could do with more space which why keen to see what he could offer at fullback. Still reckon injuries and concerns over his body holding up is his biggest obstacle to realising his potential.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With the season almost over, we can start looking to next year.

Always hard to predict who will play for the Wallabies before the Super Rugby season is played, but with some obvious trouble positions in the Wallabies, it's important we have some options to look at in Super Rugby.

Fullback:

Reds - sounds like Petaia is going to get that shot at fullback which, if successful, could have a real impact on the Wallabies.
Tahs - don't really have any strong contenders for the test jersey but Donaldson or Nawaqanitawase are darkhorses
Brumbies - had the pre-injury incumbent in Tom Banks who is the man most likely, finally looking confident (if not dominant) for the Wallabies.
Rebels - two leading contenders which will make selection interesting. Kellaway or Hodge? Will the Rebels see it the same way?
Force - again, not strong front runner but if he recaptures previous form, Byron Raltson sits a longside the Tahs players as options.

Flyhalf:

Reds - JOC (James O'Connor) will have the 10 jersey as long as he's fit, which is another issue. Can his body hold together?
Tahs - Harrison surely would have got a shot this year sans-Covid, but may battle for the Tahs 10 with Donaldson and perhaps Edmed
Brumbies - Lolesio is the man most likely if we keep things domestic so another season with Nic White will only help
Rebels - the experienced Matt To'omua a leading contender but I hope they use him to 'babysit' Carter Gordon who is my Wallaby bolter
Force - Lots of 10s in the squad, a couple they've shifted to fullback, but its likely between one of the recruits in Pasitoa and Kuenzle. Neither a legit chance next year.

Blindside:

Reds - Liam Wright may have a real battle on his hands with Angus Scott-Young but neither look to be real Wallaby contenders without the strong running game. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) a possible Wallaby option but unlikely to get much game time there for QLD
Tahs - Lachlan Swinton the likely starter but will Ned Hanigan play there on his return from Japan? Both Wallaby contenders
Brumbies - Samu will likely play 6 I am guessing just reinforcing the versatility asset he is to the Wallabies
Rebels - Rob Leota should make the spot his own this year after a break out 2021
Force - Fergus Lee-Warner and Tim Anstee might be options but the shape of the Force backrow is still a bit of an unknown.

Hooker:

Reds - Alex Mafi would have been a Wallaby this year if not for injury and will look to push his credentials next year.
Tahs - apparently Dave Porecki is highly acclaimed, but I don't see it. Could benefit from having one of the Brumbies
Brumbies - 3 Wallaby hookers and another on an RA deal. Two should relocate to get game time. But who is seen as the top two candidates?
Rebels - Jordan Uelese's late omission from the Wallaby squad was surprising and should be a strong contender again next year
Force - Feleti Kaituú hopefully won't suffer 2nd year season because he was outstanding this year. Will hopefully continue to push his credentials and step up a level next year.
Locks is another interesting area.

swain been big improver and likely in the mix for 2023. Frost another one.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I disagree on Petaia not having a football brain as to me he does and getting smarter with more experience. Injuries to me is key thing hampering his development. I actually really like what he can offer as point of difference but wonder if injuries will prevent us ever seeing his full potential. To me he is a player you like to see what he could do with more space which why keen to see what he could offer at fullback. Still reckon injuries and concerns over his body holding up is his biggest obstacle to realising his potential.
2022 Super Rugby season will provide better insight on Petaia. If injuries continue it will be fair to say he’s exhausted his opportunities, whilst the other contenders continue to strengthen and gain momentum.
Petaia has had three disruptive season with injury and obviously the death of his father. I hope he comes home strong physically and mentally in 2022.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I like Petaia at 13. He can break tackles and offload, has great speed and is sound defensively. I’m sure Rennie will be looking to BT to play Paisami at 12 as much as possible and next year and Jock Campbell is a decent Super Rugby fullback. Petaia slots back in at 13.
Petaia outside Kerevi? Yes please.