• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don’t think we are a top 5 team.

NZL, ENG, SAF and FRA are the top four teams (in whatever order). We aren’t on their level. We’re battling with Ireland et al for 5th.

Given the state of the game in the country that’s about right. In fact given most of our history in the game, other than a couple of high outliers, that’s about where we’ve always been.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think some people's idea of our 'rightful place' in world rugby is coloured by there age. The McQueen/Eales era between 1998 and 2002 is unquestionably the greatest era for Australian rugby ever.
The reality is the Bledisloe has been contested around 60 times, we have won 11, five of those between 1998 and 2002. At one point we didn't win it for 30 years, between 1949 and 1979! We historically have only ranked about number 5 in the world, which isn't surprising when you consider we have two competing football codes that are far more popular.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JB you are just like a broken record about Jordan. Repetitious and a little annoying. Give it a rest until he can string a few games together, please.
Putting the boot in when I am down BR. Sounds about right. I agreed with someone else that Petaias best position was 13 in my only post mentioning him on this thread. Doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that a Brumby is currently playing 13?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don’t think we are a top 5 team.

NZL, ENG, SAF and FRA are the top four teams (in whatever order). We aren’t on their level. We’re battling with Ireland et al for 5th.

Given the state of the game in the country that’s about right. In fact given most of our history in the game, other than a couple of high outliers, that’s about where we’ve always been.
Ireland up there too

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think some people's idea of our 'rightful place' in world rugby is coloured by there age. The McQueen/Eales era between 1998 and 2002 is unquestionably the greatest era for Australian rugby ever.
The reality is the Bledisloe has been contested around 60 times, we have won 11, five of those between 1998 and 2002. At one point we didn't win it for 30 years, between 1949 and 1979! We historically have only ranked about number 5 in the world, which isn't surprising when you consider we have two competing football codes that are far more popular.
Yes Ireland has same situation and with about 1/5th our population. Just saying there are other reasons why we are not a top 5 rugby nation as rugby administration/ politics always been a basket case that held us back. Too many own goals that helped other footy codes flourish.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
In my recollection we have mostly ranked ahead of Ireland, but generally behind the AB's, Boks, England and the French. But yes, I take your point RN, incompetence and insularity among those who run the game has played a significant part.
A lack of attention to fostering the game in western Sydney, and in public schools being among them. Once, schools like Sydney Boys, Randwick Boys, Epping Boys and Hurlstone Ag used to be rugby power-houses, not so any more. And plenty has already been said about the Pacific Islander communities in western Sydney and their traditional love of rugby, all lost now to NRL.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
So during the Wales game, the Wallabies attack certainly found their feet after a few weeks of JOC (James O'Connor) steering the ship and the other players growing into their roles, Paisami back in form etc.

I think it leaves a big question around what happens now with selecting 'un-eligible' players overseas, as RA haven't officially announced the plan for 2022 onwards.

No doubt the attack looked best with QC (Quade Cooper), Kerevi and Korobiete playing, but if their availability is going to be a distraction/up in the air for the foreseeable future, do they still warrant inclusion?

JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami are about to spend another Super Rugby season playing together and we know that barring injury (which is a concern) they would be available to play for the Wallabies without question. Does that make them the preferable options going forward?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I have a feeling we're going to move back to a reduced model until the world cup year, where selection will be much more open. Kerevi is probably the only returning player who slotted in quickly, everyone else took weeks with the squad and/or in matches to really have an impact. Most years with variable availability I don't know that it's worth the time and effort. World cup years there's always so much experimentation and workload management in the lead up there is the capacity to be bringing guys in from further afield.

Contracting going forward will probably change though - it's clear players can come straight out of Japan and be ready for international rugby, so I expect we'll see more sabbaticals offered.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Kerevi is interesting because slotting him into a side will always be quite easy, regardless of who is playing around him. You could probably pick the local park footy flyhalf and Kerevi would still be effective.

But once you remove him from the setup, it changes the dynamic of the attack quite significantly. It was evident that it took the team another 2-3 weeks to work out the kinks in attack once he left.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have a feeling we're going to move back to a reduced model until the world cup year, where selection will be much more open. Kerevi is probably the only returning player who slotted in quickly, everyone else took weeks with the squad and/or in matches to really have an impact.

I think this will dictate that any player Rennie sees as being desirable to include in his 2023 RWC squad will be picked as often as he can until then.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cooper is eligible with the existing Giteau law and two players who do not qualify are also currently able to be picked. Both Cooper and Kerevi can slot straight in and hopefully will be available for the England series. It is obviously easier to slot people in from Japan and Marika K. would be a good second choice. Our pack prior to the European tour was arguably stronger as a unit than the pack we put out for the three European tests.
It will be interesting to see if and how the eligibility law is adjusted. If anything you would think it would be loosened up or remain the same until the pre-RWC camp.

Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
By my count the Wallabies incurred 2 red cards and 8 yellow cards across 14 tests this year.

That is simply too many and our discipline has to improve.

Our biggest weakness I feel. That and some brainless passing near the gain line. If we can stay lower in contact I think the results will speak for themselves.