• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only guys I reckon that are bolted on to the 23 at the moment are as follows:

1/17 - Bell and Slipper
3/18 - Tupou and Ala'alatoa
7 - Hooper
6/8 - Valetini
9/21 - White/McDermott
12 - Kerevi
14 - Koroibete

There's a lot of probables that could be added but in reality there's still competition for a lot of spots.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The only guys I reckon that are bolted on to the 23 at the moment are as follows:

1/17 - Bell and Slipper
3/18 - Tupou and Ala'alatoa
7 - Hooper
6/8 - Valetini
9/21 - White/McDermott
12 - Kerevi
14 - Koroibete

There's a lot of probables that could be added but in reality there's still competition for a lot of spots.
I think Banks has 15 sewn up. At least initially.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Kellaway has played plenty of fullback, has a decent boot and ticks all the boxes.... I'd be inclined to have him as my first pick over Banks. Hodge is also an option.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Kellaway has played plenty of fullback, has a decent boot and ticks all the boxes.... I'd be inclined to have him as my first pick over Banks. Hodge is also an option.
Kellaway played well on the wing for the Wallabies. By most assessments he's had a quiet Super season thus far with the Rebels. Hard to see him slotting in to the Wallabies 15 jersey in that situation over a guy (Banks) who has been playing pretty well. I don't really see anyone obviously displacing Banks, although I do have some misgivings about him at International level.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No Porecki at 2?

He's my favourite to get the first crack at 2 but it's by no means a sure thing.

Porecki, Fainga'a, Kaitu'u, Uelese and Lonergan are all a chance of making the 23. I wouldn't call any of them a sure thing which is where I am at with the other selections I listed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would think you can lock in Rodda. Swain, Phillip etc can fight over the other spot

The closer we get to the tests, the better Jed Holloway's form has been. He's a bolter but I also think he could be hard to leave out of a 23. He's shorter than the rest of them but his carrying and ball playing is probably the best of the lot.

I didn't list any locks because I think there are a number of good candidates and it's hard to predict who is the most bolted on. Nick Frost is another one who could be there or there abouts.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The closer we get to the tests, the better Jed Holloway's form has been. He's a bolter but I also think he could be hard to leave out of a 23. He's shorter than the rest of them but his carrying and ball playing is probably the best of the lot.

I didn't list any locks because I think there are a number of good candidates and it's hard to predict who is the most bolted on. Nick Frost is another one who could be there or there abouts.
Holloway is a great shout along with Samu to come off the bench. Literally covers all locks and backrow spots.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Found this

dated 29/11/19 & says he arrived in for day 1 of pre season, so might be able to go for the spring tour

“The residency criteria outlined in the regulation is due to increase from 36 consecutive months to 60 consecutive months on 31 December, 2020. In order to be eligible on that basis, players must meet the residency requirement and have represented their union before the cut-off date.

“Due to the disruption to the international calendar caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, playing opportunities have been significantly affected across the sport’s 127 member unions and eligible players may have been prevented from representing a union on the basis of 36 months residency by the scheduled cut-off date and would therefore automatically move into the 60-month requirement.

“In light of these exceptional circumstances, the Executive Committee, having consulted with unions and International Rugby Players, determined it was appropriate to extend the extend the 36 month residency requirement set out in Regulation 8 to 31 December, 2021.

“The Executive Committee also confirmed that a player must meet both the 36 months residency requirement and have represented the union on or before 31 December, 2021, otherwise the player will fall under the 60-month rule.”

So based on that, Eloff wouldn't be eligible until he has been here for 5 years.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Quade and Kerevi will be the first two picked to start. Its nice to see both Lolesio and Edmed improving and the young bloke at the Reds has also been going alright.
Not sure about hooker. Porecki was looking OK and now FF (Folau Fainga'a) has looked in good nick the last few weeks. Might be start FF (Folau Fainga'a) with Lonergan or Porecki on the bench? Nasser looked good in early rounds but have not sighted him lately. Is he injured?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quade and Kerevi will be the first two picked to start. Its nice to see both Lolesio and Edmed improving and the young bloke at the Reds has also been going alright.

JOC (James O'Connor) no chance?

I see this one as being a pretty open contest between the two.

If Rennie picks Quade to start over a healthy JOC (James O'Connor) (assuming he returns from injury without issue) then it would be a pretty strong indication Rennie thinks Cooper can be his best option for the RWC next year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) no chance?

I see this one as being a pretty open contest between the two.

If Rennie picks Quade to start over a healthy JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (assuming he returns from injury without issue) then it would be a pretty strong indication Rennie thinks Cooper can be his best option for the RWC next year.
Last year Cooper showed he is the more complete 10. I guess we will see how they both shape up come the test series camp. Based on last year and what we have seen so far this year I would still have Cooper solidly ahead of JOC (James O'Connor). We will need them both for that series and the RC.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Last year Cooper showed he is the more complete 10. I guess we will see how they both shape up come the test series camp. Based on last year and what we have seen so far this year I would still have Cooper solidly ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). We will need them both for that series and the RC.

I really am a Quade fan, but I just can't agree on this comparison. Quade is operating in a second tier comp. This helps him continue through the years as he gets older, but his form is basically entirely what we saw from last year. Which he may replicate, but until circumstances allow him to replicate it, he is not ahead of JOC (James O'Connor), if fit, playing in first tier with current form.

Quade completely should be in the squad. But he will again have to earn the start, and there is probably not a need for a second dedicated 10 on the bench. He'll need to wait for the opportunity and then pounce.

JOC (James O'Connor) starts at 10 if fit. If not it's Noah.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I really am a Quade fan, but I just can't agree on this comparison. Quade is operating in a second tier comp. This helps him continue through the years as he gets older, but his form is basically entirely what we saw from last year. Which he may replicate, but until circumstances allow him to replicate it, he is not ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), if fit, playing in first tier with current form.

Quade completely should be in the squad. But he will again have to earn the start, and there is probably not a need for a second dedicated 10 on the bench. He'll need to wait for the opportunity and then pounce.

JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) starts at 10 if fit. If not it's Noah.
Come on! Quade is a more capable and skilled flyhalf than JOC (James O'Connor). There is absolutely no comparison.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Come on! Quade is a more capable snd skilled flyhalf than JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). There is absolutely no comparison.

Quade HAS BEEN a more capable and skilled flyhalf than JOC (James O'Connor) (and Noah). And by some margin. But yes, there is no comparison because you can not compare form from second division to first. I grant you, I'd bet with you that Quade would show his capability when given the chance, it's just that sooner or later he won't. Quade comes into the squad. Gels again around his work ethic pushing members of the team around him. Waits his chance as either JOC (James O'Connor) or Noah starts at 10.

We can't surely work from no form demonstration since the last time he played and put him in the starting 15. Surely.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Quade HAS BEEN a more capable and skilled flyhalf than JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (and Noah). And by some margin. But yes, there is no comparison because you can not compare form from second division to first. I grant you, I'd bet with you that Quade would show his capability when given the chance, it's just that sooner or later he won't. Quade comes into the squad. Gels again around his work ethic pushing members of the team around him. Waits his chance as either JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) or Noah starts at 10.

We can't surely work from no form demonstration since the last time he played and put him in the starting 15. Surely.
But you would pick Steve Smith over someone making runs at FC level. Due to the fact he has had success at international and has proven in that arena he is the best candidate.