• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Quade HAS BEEN a more capable and skilled flyhalf than JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (and Noah). And by some margin. But yes, there is no comparison because you can not compare form from second division to first. I grant you, I'd bet with you that Quade would show his capability when given the chance, it's just that sooner or later he won't. Quade comes into the squad. Gels again around his work ethic pushing members of the team around him. Waits his chance as either JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) or Noah starts at 10.

We can't surely work from no form demonstration since the last time he played and put him in the starting 15. Surely.
It is quite simple, we play the best player for the position and take into consideration the combination on either side. Firstly, pick Quade, and he is best teamed up with White and Kerevi.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It is quite simple, we play the best player for the position and take into consideration the combination on either side. Firstly, pick Quade, and he is best teamed up with White and Kerevi.

It is this point we need to remind ourselves of - JOC (James O'Connor) didn’t get the privilege of playing with Kerevi outside him.

In fact if Kerevi brings the form he did last year, the person playing 10 is less about who’s the more pure playmaker, and more about who has a better kicking game and goal kicking I think.

Because the game plan will be give the ball to Kerevi. And my uncle who played 7th grade for GPS until he was 46 could execute that tomorrow if needed.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
It is this point we need to remind ourselves of - JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) didn’t get the privilege of playing with Kerevi outside him.

In fact if Kerevi brings the form he did last year, the person playing 10 is less about who’s the more pure playmaker, and more about who has a better kicking game and goal kicking I think.

Because the game plan will be give the ball to Kerevi. And my uncle who played 7th grade for GPS until he was 46 could execute that tomorrow if needed.
It doesn’t matter if JOC (James O'Connor) played with Kerevi outside of him, the fact remains that Quade continues to be a complete flyhalf. JOC (James O'Connor) is somewhere between an outside centre, winger and half. He doesn’t have the rugby brain that Quade does.

EDIT. JOC (James O'Connor) would be an ideal bench player being able to slot into centre, wing, fullback and flyhalf.

EDIT Il. You will find that many of the players to be named, would prefer Quade in the director’s chair.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He doesn’t have the rugby brain that Quade does.
Maybe, but O’Connors rugby smarts are very good. His rugby IQ has never been an issue and, if anything, I thing he has more capacity to play smart rugby. Although Cooper was excellent last year.
EDIT Il. You will find that many of the players to be named, would prefer Quade in the director’s chair.
Serious question - you state that as a fact. What are you basing that on?

I thought Cooper was excellent and, if he can replicate that form I’d 100% have him there. But I do agree with Dru that I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion.

I also note Coopers worst performance was where Kerevi didn’t play.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe, but O’Connors rugby smarts are very good. His rugby IQ has never been an issue and, if anything, I thing he has more capacity to play smart rugby. Although Cooper was excellent last year.

Serious question - you state that as a fact. What are you basing that on?

I thought Cooper was excellent and, if he can replicate that form I’d 100% have him there. But I do agree with Dru that I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion.

I also note Coopers worst performance was where Kerevi didn’t play.
To answer your question, my statement is based on player feedback.
And yes, Quade Cooper is a more complete flyhalf with a rugby brain that puts him in a better position than JOC (James O'Connor). I haven’t suggested that JOC (James O'Connor) doesn’t deserve to be in the Wallabies 23 mix, just that Quade is better at flyhalf. This is my opinion.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting comment RR, about JOC (James O'Connor) able to slot into four positions in the backline, over the years he has played most positions in the backs at provincial and international level. Where as QC (Quade Cooper) has only ever played ten at both those levels, so you would think that this would make QC (Quade Cooper) a more instinctive and natural ten.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting comment RR, about JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) able to slot into four positions in the backline, over the years he has played most positions in the backs at provincial and international level. Where as Quade Cooper has only ever played ten at both those levels, so you would think that this would make Quade Cooper a more instinctive and natural ten.

QC (Quade Cooper) has played 12 for both Reds and Wallabies. Pretty sure he’s played a bit of fullback along the way too.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Quade showed more in his games than JOC (James O'Connor) did in the last two or three years from a Wallabies perspective. On that basis you'd have to go with Quade. JOCs kicking has also been pretty poor. Plus he's very injury prone.

But I could just as likely see Rennie leaving Quade out and relying on JOC (James O'Connor) and Noah.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To answer your question, my statement is based on player feedback.
And yes, Quade Cooper is a more complete flyhalf with a rugby brain that puts him in a better position than JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). I haven’t suggested that JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) doesn’t deserve to be in the Wallabies 23 mix, just that Quade is better at flyhalf. This is my opinion.
Of course mate - and I largely agree with you.

But do you mean that players have told you directly they prefer Quade. It’s not that a necessarily find that surprising - but I do find it a bit surprising players would talk out of school to a member of the public like that. Just trying to clarify if it is first hand - because it is a pretty significant comment.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Quade conundrum……….most want him to fail and quickly fall back into mindset of last year prior to the test season. What he did last year was incredible, yet still the doubters again call for the mediocrity(at test level) of JOC (James O'Connor) and Noah. Neither offer any real comparison to QC (Quade Cooper).
We have not seen Kerevi play recently either. Do we leave him out and start Simone or Foketi and hope that Samu works his way back into the side during the series? Hahaha.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Of course mate - and I largely agree with you.

But do you mean that players have told you directly they prefer Quade. It’s not that a necessarily find that surprising - but I do find it a bit surprising players would talk out of school to a member of the public like that. Just trying to clarify if it is first hand - because it is a pretty significant comment.
Do you want to take my comment further? So why would I offer more. That is stupidity.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
We have not seen Kerevi play recently either. Do we leave him out and start Simone or Foketi and hope that Samu works his way back into the side during the series? Hahaha.
I’ve watched a few Suntory games this year and everything I’ve seen indicates Kerevi will be fine for test match rugby again.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The Quade conundrum……….most want him to fail and quickly fall back into mindset of last year prior to the test season. What he did last year was incredible, yet still the doubters again call for the mediocrity(at test level) of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Noah. Neither offer any real comparison to Quade Cooper.
Kerevi would provide strength in the squad. I would bring him in now.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
“The residency criteria outlined in the regulation is due to increase from 36 consecutive months to 60 consecutive months on 31 December, 2020. In order to be eligible on that basis, players must meet the residency requirement and have represented their union before the cut-off date.

“Due to the disruption to the international calendar caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, playing opportunities have been significantly affected across the sport’s 127 member unions and eligible players may have been prevented from representing a union on the basis of 36 months residency by the scheduled cut-off date and would therefore automatically move into the 60-month requirement.

“In light of these exceptional circumstances, the Executive Committee, having consulted with unions and International Rugby Players, determined it was appropriate to extend the extend the 36 month residency requirement set out in Regulation 8 to 31 December, 2021.

“The Executive Committee also confirmed that a player must meet both the 36 months residency requirement and have represented the union on or before 31 December, 2021, otherwise the player will fall under the 60-month rule.”

So based on that, Eloff wouldn't be eligible until he has been here for 5 years.

That would explain why Uru has never been selected

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Do you want to take my comment further? So why would I offer more. That is stupidity.
No - I don’t want to take it further. What exactly are you suggesting? I’d report the conversation to someone at RA???

I thought my question was perfectly reasonable. But if you don’t or you just don’t want to answer than that’s obviously your right.