• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Australia is a multicultural place, Rugby Union in Australia is not. Thinking like you will get us nowhere, this was a smart move launching it in Auburn instead of the front lawn of Scots College.
Ok, they are Australian with Asian heritage, it doesn't matter. I'm a foreigner and I know that. I have family living in Australia with citizenships. My aunt and my uncle born overseas but my cousins born in Straya.

I lived in Bonnyrigg, Greater Western Sydney and nobody care about Union there. This not look like a masterplan IMO, maybe investing in Western Sydney Rugby Union clubs would be a better move.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok, they are Australian with Asian heritage, it doesn't matter. I'm a foreigner and I know that. I have family living in Australia with citizenships. My aunt and my uncle born overseas but my cousins born in Straya.

I lived in Bonnyrigg, Greater Western Sydney and nobody care about Union there. This not look like a masterplan IMO, maybe investing in Western Sydney Rugby Union clubs would be a better move.

The Wallabies should take over the NSWRU instead of handing out jerseys to school kids?

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Wallabies should take over the NSWRU instead of handing out jerseys to school kids?
The players don't take that kind of decisions, it's about the board and sponsors. The players got the call and go where the board decides.

It's like the aboriginal jersey. An user said: "You have to earn the right to wear a first nation jersey". If u don't have aboriginal players in the squad, the aboriginal people won't come to the games.

These Australian with Asian heritage won't go to the games. Launch the jersey in a Rugby Union club in country side, where they are struggling to support the code. Those kids deserve it more, and they probably know the name of every Wallaby:
20220511_223453.jpg

20220511_223133.jpg

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Great idea but not really something you can do in a single day with a bunch of Wallabies in the middle of the season.

You're criticising something that was objectively good by comparing it against something that is potentially better but substantially harder to implement.
They always launch the jersey in Sydney. For some reason rugby supporters from other states call them the WallaTahs. You can launch it in Canberra, Perth, Brisbane or wherever and visit a small Rugby Union club. Only have to travel the Asics managers to the place. If the launch is in Perth, call the Force players, in QLD call the Reds, in Victoria call the Rebels and so.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm for anything that spreads the gospel of our great game far and wide. The criticism of union being the preserve of elite private schools is rooted in truth, especially in the East (it's less so here in WA, but it still exists). The more we get the message out across a broad section of society the better IMHO.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Old school versions available too.

Very happy they've done this, but it's breaking my brain seeing a jersey like this that is actually new. I've become used to cotton and collared jerseys being faded and frayed.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Well, no... they won't go to the games if you exclude them.
They might go in their new jerseys? Who knows? IMO that’s a great initiative. Plant seeds, see what grows. When my daughter was in primary school (I’m in Sydney) the AFL had an Auskick program. It wasn’t compulsory, but you’d be an ordinary parent to say no when all their classmates were doing It. Of all those kids, I don’t know how many went and joined a team, but it gave them the option of playing AFL.
on a side note, I think it also bolstered AFL participation numbers.
EDIT: I am agreeing with Slims post

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hasn’t rugby’s biggest area of growth been participation in non-traditional areas - female rugby, disability rugby, non-traditional rugby schools.

We have to absolutely continue to engage with our traditional following - but personally I think this is great.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hasn’t rugby’s biggest area of growth been participation in non-traditional areas - female rugby, disability rugby, non-traditional rugby schools.

We have to absolutely continue to engage with our traditional following - but personally I think this is great.
If anything growth has probably been maximised in the 'strongholds'.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

But isn’t that always the way? Your biggest growth areas aren’t going to be where you are traditionally strong

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's a double edged sword. Numbers can lie, I mean you can get decent numbers in total but maybe the game is growing in 7s and female but is decresing in adult registered players.

So you can be like USA in football soccer. The number one power in female but average in men. Or like USA in rugby, a competitive side in 7s but struggling in XV

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
All,
Can we expect Koroibete to play in the England series (as an exemption to the Giteau Law)? Any information on this front?
Regards