• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
People are projecting a dislike for him on things in the past that were out of his control. Should he not have taken his Wallaby jersey? In the same situation, none of us would turn down that opportunity. I’m not saying he should or should not be in the wallaby framework, Let’s see how he goes.
People are allowed to dislike him for whatever reason they choose, this is the point of an internet forum. If baseless claims were not allowed this site would close.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think he's going to get picked this season but he is back playing in Australia and Rennie has clearly been a fan before (and picked him consistently in 2020 whereas most fans wouldn't pick him at all).
There in lies the humour of forums like this. We all have our opinions on who is a good rugby player but most astute coaches who see players up close, see them training, their attitude they bring to the team environment make far better choices .... plus why would they pick someone that would make their job harder?
As you were.....
People are projecting a dislike for him on things in the past that were out of his control. Should he not have taken his Wallaby jersey? In the same situation, none of us would turn down that opportunity. I’m not saying he should or should not be in the wallaby framework, Let’s see how he goes.
Exactly... always makes me laugh that all the sideline experts know best...

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I take it back. If Rennie can find a spot, he should pick Ned Hanigan in the Wallaby squad this season.

That cameo off the bench was outstanding.
Just by 2 carries in 15 minutes? Hold on, I want the 15 minutes of Will Harrison so he will get a call too

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Use the Giteau Law to pick Nick Phipps
No way, mate. He's in the extended Argentina squad with Rob Simmons. Apparently Cheika figure out the way to pick them. Both got married with Argentinian girls so now are Argentinian citizens and with the new elegible law is all right. They gonna face the Wallabies in TRC
20220522_130349.jpg

20220522_130312.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He had some very good performances in his last stint with the Wallabies in 2020.

His strengths are lineout and workrate and his height and skillset makes him a good complementary option in plenty of backrows.
His workrate is the key to him, and quite possibly his ability to be prepared to play a role within a side.

There will always be someone who can run harder, tackle harder etc etc, but for most teams you also need players that compliment those more dynamic units - who make their tackles, hit lots of rucks and get of their arse and stay in play

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Unless you're a close Hanigan confidant then you don't know what he was offered what or his reasons for taking the offer he did.

In either case, Hanigan can push for Wallabies selection through playing Super Rugby 2023 like everyone else, any 2022 talk is a bit pointless i think.
He looked very good yesterday. No doubt Rennie will keep an eye on him in the next few weeks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Unless you're a close Hanigan confidant then you don't know what he was offered what or his reasons for taking the offer he did.

In either case, Hanigan can push for Wallabies selection through playing Super Rugby 2023 like everyone else, any 2022 talk is a bit pointless i think.
If he is fit, he will be in the squad again this year. I doubt he will be a starter, but he will be thereabouts

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If he is fit, he will be in the squad again this year. I doubt he will be a starter, but he will be thereabouts
Leota will be starting but if he cops an injury I don't think Wilson really fits the skills set Rennie has looked for in Leota and Swinton.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

If Uru isn't a head of Hanigan in the pecking order, you Southerners better believe the 'green' wave we saw on the weekend will be pale in comparison to the Maroon swarm!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If Uru isn't a head of Hanigan in the pecking order, you Southerners better believe the 'green' wave we saw on the weekend will be pale in comparison to the Maroon swarm!
Quite possibly, but there will be injuries and I expect both would be about, I rate Uru and I see opportunities for both IMHO

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The beauty of being the coach is that Rennie can select who he wants. Uru has had a pretty good season but we aren't handing out participation awards. I don't think Rennie will avoid picking people just because they haven't been here all season.

If he thinks they're his best option he'll pick them.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The beauty of being the coach is that Rennie can select who he wants. Uru has had a pretty good season but we aren't handing out participation awards. I don't think Rennie will avoid picking people just because they haven't been here all season.

If he thinks they're his best option he'll pick them.

That's exactly what he did with Kellaway last year.