• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Subject to eligibility being met, I'd have Charlie Gamble in front of McReight to be honest... he's been unbelievable this year. I'd also even put him in front of Samu. Not suggesting Samu & McReight aren't in form or good enough, just that Gamble has been on another level this year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK so this is the game plan for SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) finals:

WEEK 1
Reds win in ChCh v Saders
Clan win in Auckland v Blues
Canes win in Canberra v Ponies
Tahs win in the 'tron v Chiefs

WEEK 2
Reds win in Brisbane v Clan
Tahs win in Welly v Canes

WEEK 3
Tahs win at Leichardt v Reds

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Subject to eligibility being met, I'd have Charlie Gamble in front of McReight to be honest... he's been unbelievable this year. I'd also even put him in front of Samu. Not suggesting Samu & McReight aren't in form or good enough, just that Gamble has been on another level this year.
No offence but it’s been said a few times in the thread, Charlie Gamble is not eligible this year

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The backrowers picked in March for the camp were Hooper, Leota, McReight, Samu, Swinton, Valetini and Wilson. Easy to leave out Swinton and pick Hanigan for example.

It's fine to suggest that someone like Seru Uru is more deserving of a spot in a squad now based on 2022 form but that doesn't mean that is who Rennie is going to pick.

I would say Hooper, Leota, McReight, Valetini and Wilson are obvious selections in the squad. After that it is a little less certain. Samu is probably likely and Rennie used him as a bench option a lot last year but likewise, he's also dropped him a couple of times.

There's definitely a backrow spot in the squad that is pretty wide open.
Uru second half of the season not been much chop. I would select Hanigan ahead of Uru. Or more would not have Uru in wallabies squad at present. Not writing him off for future years but not this year on what we have seen.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
OK so this is the game plan for SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) finals:

WEEK 1
Reds win in ChCh v Saders
Clan win in Auckland v Blues
Canes win in Canberra v Ponies
Tahs win in the 'tron v Chiefs

WEEK 2
Reds win in Brisbane v Clan
Tahs win in Welly v Canes

WEEK 3
Tahs win at Leichardt v Reds
Ok crap better buy my Leichhardt grand final tickets early

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Uru second half of the season not been much chop. I would select Hanigan ahead of Uru. Or more would not have Uru in wallabies squad at present. Not writing him off for future years but not this year on what we have seen.
Uru has arguably been the best reds forward in the second half of the season. Now I don’t think he will make the wallabies squad but saying not much chop isn’t a reflection on his performances

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Uru has arguably been the best reds forward in the second half of the season. Now I don’t think he will make the wallabies squad but saying not much chop isn’t a reflection on his performances
I guess I was judging from a wallaby standard with that comment (not much chop). Ok maybe better to have said just don’t see as wallaby standard (which I don’t - at least not yet).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I guess I was judging from a wallaby standard with that comment (not much chop). Ok maybe better to have said just don’t see as wallaby standard (which I don’t - at least not yet).

Having watched the Reds for many, many years I think Uru is a more dynamic version of Radike Samo. Radike wasn't always on the Wallaby radar, but when he was selected I thought he added something special to the team.

Uru isn't as strong in contact, but has a higher work rate and is better in the lineout. I think in a another season or two he could really factor into the Wallabies squad, he's the sort of player you take to RWC to add some variation and xfactor.

I wouldn't be surprised for Uru to get picked in the squad this year, but may not get a run.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Uru fits into the mould of a utility back 5 forward who can put a bit of pace on the game when he comes off the bench in Test matches. To be a chance of a squad spot he'd have to show that he could add more value doing that than Pete Samu (who in last few years has done that decently well for the wallabies).

Uru probably bit better in the lineout and with the offload, Samu a bit better on the ground and running wide but the skillsets are overall pretty similar.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Uru fits into the mould of a utility back 5 forward who can put a bit of pace on the game when he comes off the bench in Test matches. To be a chance of a squad spot he'd have to show that he could add more value doing that than Pete Samu (who in last few years has done that decently well for the wallabies).

Uru probably bit better in the lineout and with the offload, Samu a bit better on the ground and running wide but the skillsets are overall pretty similar.
is uru better suited to running tighter lines in a second pod with his offloading rather than out wide?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Canberra v Ponies
Canberra Raiders vs Brumbies for the love of ACT people. An hybrid game, first half Union rules and second half Mungo rules. Interesting, I buy it.

dsc_3253.jpg