• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Article read like both in Aus squad.

Personally think Talakai a sign that Tupou won’t make the first test and he’s come into the fold to help at training for a week or two.
Yeah maybe, or just need four tight heads in a squad. If you’re right Alan starts with Pone on the bench. Not an awful combination.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I didn’t see it explicitly mentioned, but Holloway in doubt for first test with calf injury… hence Hanigan’s inclusion in the squad.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What stood out for me RN was that the England LHP, Robb?, was taken apart by the Baa Baa's THP at scrum time. If he comes in against a fit and firing Tupou, I reckon the scrum is going to a very good place for the Wallabies in this test series.

In classic baa baas style England could not handle the free flowing focus on attacking rugby where foundations set by holding them if not dominating in the forwards.

Reality is with England game traditionally built around the set piece we at least have to match them their but do feel if we can we have the backs to win. Tupou available for England series critical imo part of the jigsaw to match England set piece. Again I think we can only read so much into baa baas game.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Eddie Jones knows Michael Chieka Rugby like the back of his hands.
Well, he trained the Wallabies, Brumbies, Reds and Randwick. All played all his carrer in Sydney, so the man knows something about Australian Rugby. Isn't it?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well, he trained the Wallabies, Brumbies, Reds and Randwick. All played all his carrer in Sydney, so the man knows something about Australian Rugby. Isn't it?

You're being obtuse. Eddie Jones last coached in Australia in 2007. Yes, in 2007 he knew something about Australian rugby - which btw didn't do enough to convince a lot of people. Hence he sought to further his career overseas, where he has refined his coaching considerably. His strength is in that refinement, not in the currency of his knowledge of Australian rugby.

Reckon he'd be welcomed back if we could afford him but not because of any inherent Aus info.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Article read like both in Aus squad.

Personally think Talakai a sign that Tupou won’t make the first test and he’s come into the fold to help at training for a week or two.
It is something Cheika did quite well was bring in recently returned players to show them what he is looking for. In saying that the Australia A squad now only has Fotuaika as a recognised tighthead (Robinson can play there but it isn't his preferred position) with Hoopert and Gibbon as the looseheads.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Marce

John Thornett (49)
You're being obtuse. Eddie Jones last coached in Australia in 2007. Yes, in 2007 he knew something about Australian rugby - which btw didn't do enough to convince a lot of people. Hence he sought to further his career overseas, where he has refined his coaching considerably. His strength is in that refinement, not in the currency of his knowledge of Australian rugby.

Reckon he'd be welcomed back if we could afford him but not because of any inherent Aus info.
But you don't have to live in Bondi beach to know about Aussie Rugby. 21st century, everything is handled on the internet.

I live 12k kilometers away and I watched all the Aussie Super Rugby games, I probably missed 2 or 3

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
But you don't have to live in Bondi beach to know about Aussie Rugby. 21st century, everything is handled on the internet.

I live 12k kilometers away and I watched all the Aussie Super Rugby games, probably I missed 2 or 3

SO the statement "so the man knows something about Australian Rugby. Isn't it?" boils down to Eddie having the same knowledge as any interested person anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Um, OK.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
SO the statement "so the man knows something about Australian Rugby. Isn't it?" boils down to Eddie having the same knowledge as any interested person anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Um, OK.
It's not rocket science. Just watching the games is enough. And Eddie should have many friends in Randwick and other parts of the country. If he's hired to coach the Wallabies again he doesnt need to live 1 or 2 years in the country to learn 'something'. Yeah, he doesn't know most of the players in person like Rennie in his first year.

This is a pretty obvious discussion

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well he has done 8 straight wins against us, so maybe doesn't know Oz rugby.. But he does know how to beat us.

P.S I think we will do the smelly dirty soap dodging orcs..