• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
It's not like Rennie has had an easy schedule but his win record is just below 50% (9.5 out of 20). Cheika finished on 35/68.

Cheika was our worst national coach ever. He had one great moment and that was taking Ewen McKenzie wallabies to the World Cup final. After that when he got to mould the team into his own… well it was a national embarrassment.

Dave Rennie been a breath of fresh air back at the top job.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika was our worst national coach ever. He had one great moment and that was taking Ewen McKenzie wallabies to the World Cup final.

Spoken like a true Queenslander.

Both Cheika and McKenzie were underwhelming. McKenzie screwed up his opportunity before he got a chance to show if he was any good and Cheika got worse the longer he was in the job.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
2014 - 1/4
2015 - 10/12
2016 - 6/15
2017 - 8/14
2018 - 4/13
2019 - 6/10
Wow

didn’t think his record was that great. Guess he’s losses stung the most.
Getting swept by England on home soil was unacceptable, every Europe spring tour was a disaster… that blesisloe game in Otago where we had a chance to win the series was one of his most promising but disappointing games I can remember.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
End of year tours were:

2014 - 1/4
2016 - 3/5
2017 - 2/4 (included a Japan game)
2018 - 1/3

Rennie went 1/4 in 2021 which was a win over Japan on the way to Europe.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
2014 - 1/4
2015 - 10/12
2016 - 6/15
2017 - 8/14
2018 - 4/13
2019 - 6/10
Comparisons are very hard due to not playing the same teams (and players) every year.

If you include pool games at a world cup into the mix then you could expect a higher percentage of wins in that year, as would occur if the Spring Tour included a stop in Japan and Italy.

I think the best comparisons would be games against NZ and SA.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
However I think it is also possible to make excuses for Cheika as he oversaw the Wallabies when our Super Rugby franchises were in horrible shape. We didn't even look like beating the Kiwi franchises.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
However I think it is also possible to make excuses for Cheika as he oversaw the Wallabies when our Super Rugby franchises were in horrible shape. We didn't even look like beating the Kiwi franchises.
Yeah, right. Nothing like the franchises in 2022. hang on...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, right. Nothing like the franchises in 2022. hang on...

Going on our best 3 teams:

In 2022 we had teams that finished 4th, 6th, 7th out of 12 vs:

2016 - 4th, 10th and 12th out of 18
2017 - 4th, 12th and 14th out of 18
2018 - 3rd, 9th and 10th out of 15 (3rd would have been 6th if it wasn't the conference winner)
2019 - 3rd, 11th and 12th out of 15 (3rd would have been 4th if it wasn't the conference winner)

Fair to say that there's probably a bit more room for optimism based on our Super Rugby results this year vs an of those years.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
But even when Cheika had the power to make changes he didn't. He oversaw what must have been the worst Wallabies defensively and didn't make the necessary changes required.