• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That would explain why Uru has never been selected
Just furthering Reg's point, Uru has been eligible since the end of June 2020 (arrived in Melbourne around the last week of June 2017). This means he was eligible throughout the later half of 2020 and all of 2021. At worst he has a 6 month period at the start of this year where his eligibility lapses, but there are no wallabies tests in that period - the first of the year is scheduled for the 2nd of July.

It's also possible his eligibility is restored earlier - he was in Melbourne for ~3 months at the start of 2017 for a training camp before coming over permanently. Depending on how long he returned to Fiji for there is an argument that his qualifying period started then, rather than in June. That would only be relevant if there was a test to be played before the first England game though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Quade conundrum……….most want him to fail and quickly fall back into mindset of last year prior to the test season. What he did last year was incredible, yet still the doubters again call for the mediocrity(at test level) of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Noah. Neither offer any real comparison to Quade Cooper.
We have not seen Kerevi play recently either. Do we leave him out and start Simone or Foketi and hope that Samu works his way back into the side during the series? Hahaha.
For the record I don’t in any way want him to fail. I’d love nothing better than to see him play well against England and the ABs. I would be ecstatic for him and I’d love to see him get the chance. But not simply on the basis he did well last year.

I think comparing the faith in Kerevi and the query around Quade is disingenuous they are different players at different ages and with completely different characteristics. A better comparison would be Beale, who was arguably better in his last Wallabies test than Quade was in his last one. But I also believe Beale needs to be considered on his current merit, not his last test.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but just because some of us are a bit more conservative in our view doesn’t mean we are wanting players to fail.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Pivoting the convo here - do we think Angus Crichton is a decent shout of jumping to rugby this offseason? Apologies if this has already been talked about in prior pages.

His name is popping up a lot at the moment, it looks like he will be leaving Bondi regardless of whether it is in the NRL or elsewhere.

I think it's an interesting comment he makes about playing rugby in Australia or overseas. No doubt he would be taking a bit of a haircut on his NRL deals if he came to rugby, but a few seasons of Super Rugby and potential RWC showing would lead into a nice retirement contract in France or Japan.

Do we think someone like him would push for the Wallabies RWC squad with such a short leadup? I am not so sure.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pivoting the convo here - do we think Angus Crichton is a decent shout of jumping to rugby this offseason? Apologies if this has already been talked about in prior pages.

His name is popping up a lot at the moment, it looks like he will be leaving Bondi regardless of whether it is in the NRL or elsewhere.

I think it's an interesting comment he makes about playing rugby in Australia or overseas. No doubt he would be taking a bit of a haircut on his NRL deals if he came to rugby, but a few seasons of Super Rugby and potential RWC showing would lead into a nice retirement contract in France or Japan.

Do we think someone like him would push for the Wallabies RWC squad with such a short leadup? I am not so sure.
no

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
For the record I don’t in any way want him to fail. I’d love nothing better than to see him play well against England and the ABs. I would be ecstatic for him and I’d love to see him get the chance. But not simply on the basis he did well last year.

I think comparing the faith in Kerevi and the query around Quade is disingenuous they are different players at different ages and with completely different characteristics. A better comparison would be Beale, who was arguably better in his last Wallabies test than Quade was in his last one. But I also believe Beale needs to be considered on his current merit, not his last test.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but just because some of us are a bit more conservative in our view doesn’t mean we are wanting players to fail.
Cooper was the best player in his position by miles last season and should be initially picked if we want the best chance of winning a test match against the Poms

(and I was way wrong when Cooper was selected last season, he made the team far better - he even tackled )

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Hed have to take a pay cut and it's hard to see him making the Wallabies?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Hed have to take a pay cut and it's hard to see him making the Wallabies?
Agreed - I think for starters it would be harder for him to transition into a rugby team playing style wise. Plus does he really add any value to what we don't have?

It's easy to see where guys like Lote, Wendell, Izzy, Korobiete and even Vunivalu could make immediate impact due to their speed and athleticism.

I'd imagine the rugby talk is most for the media anyway, the bloke is a likely NSW SOO player this year and plenty of sides would pick him up. The manager just needs to up his value.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the opportunity is missed for Creighton.

We’ve had a whole bunch of good flankers emerge and a number of them have had exposure to the Wallabies system.

He wouldn’t be a priority signing IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is this point we need to remind ourselves of - JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) didn’t get the privilege of playing with Kerevi outside him.

This is the key point for me. Kerevi was comfortably our best back in the Rugby Championship and a key part of why the team looked good. I don't think that will be lost on Rennie.

Age is a potential issue working against Cooper. He's 34 and the reality is that when age does catch up with someone the decline can be fast. I'm not saying that is going to happen but it has to be part of the thinking. With less than 20 tests to go before the RWC, every one is important for the preparation and Rennie will be very keen to have as many tests with his preferred 10 option for the RWC as possible.

I'm not saying that I don't think Cooper will be the 10 at the start of the year. I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion which is what the post that started this discussion was looking at. Players that are absolute locks for the 23.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I'm not saying that I don't think Cooper will be the 10 at the start of the year. I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion which is what the post that started this discussion was looking at. Players that are absolute locks for the 23.
And lets face it, when you look at Quade's career, one thing you'd probably say about him is the ability to consistently select him and expect the same performance week in week out has never been there.

Aside from a block of very strong outings for the Reds during 2010/11, you could probably look at Quade's performances over a 10 year period and make arguments each week for why the should be selected, but then the following week find reasons to drop him.

He went off the boil playing at club rugby level a few years ago, before resurrecting his career and finding himself back in the Wallabies and leading the team to victory. That's the definition of inconsistent but at the same time, brilliant that he was able to keep fighting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Arguably Quade's game is better suited for test rugby now than it ever has been.

Last year he was a cog in the machine and did his job.

For a lot of his career he tried to carry the team on his back which meant we lived and died on his performance. We don't need to do that. We've never needed to do that. It amplified the difference between his best games and worst games.

The way he played last year is what we need from him if he plays and he should be able to do that far more consistently than how he has played for much of his career.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wallabies Jersey announced for 2022.
1652233582733.png
BF4BED39-DAA4-47C8-AC9E-63080E496CFE.jpeg

Attachments

• 1652233361425.png
    1652233361425.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 70

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Agreed - I think for starters it would be harder for him to transition into a rugby team playing style wise. Plus does he really add any value to what we don't have?

It's easy to see where guys like Lote, Wendell, Izzy, Korobiete and even Vunivalu could make immediate impact due to their speed and athleticism.

I'd imagine the rugby talk is most for the media anyway, the bloke is a likely NSW SOO player this year and plenty of sides would pick him up. The manager just needs to up his value.
Absolutely you should have written it in bold
It’s becoming a regular way of trying to up a player’s value when shopping for a new contract.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Man, I had such high hopes after the Wallaroos' kit - neither of these are really doing it for me.

I think the First Nations jersey is the least 'integrated' one we've run so far - it just looks like they've slapped on the overlay on a Friday arvo and called it...
1652246312929.png

Does look a bit better 'in vivo' to be fair, but still prefer the Wallaroos' designs

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
No - I don’t want to take it further. What exactly are you suggesting? I’d report the conversation to someone at Rugby Australia???

I thought my question was perfectly reasonable. But if you don’t or you just don’t want to answer than that’s obviously your right.
Loosen up TSR. All of a sudden you’re the ‘Information Nazi’. We all know people in the know, and just because you haven’t received feedback from Wallabies’ players, doesn’t mean it was never said. There are certain players that are held in higher regard than others. Same goes on at the Reds … as you know. You know who is valued both/either professionally and on personality attributes. Some are trusted more than others. Let’s not even discuss the trust issues at the Reds right now.

Last edited: