• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Assuming Len Ikitau gets suspended then making the semi final certainly helps his cause for the July series against England.

A suspension this week surely includes the grand final whereas if they'd been eliminated, would he really be able to include all the club rugby games coming up?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is looking at 2016 and earlier at test level versus the 6 years since where he's been a key part of winning UK Premierships and two European Champions Cups.

I don't think Rennie will be writing him off after a couple of bench appearances on short preparation last year on the End of Year Tour.
Those years in Europe are impressive no doubt but it is still not test footy. Rennie would only get him for short preps between now and the RWC so the games last year tell him a lot.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Assuming Len Ikitau gets suspended then making the semi final certainly helps his cause for the July series against England.

A suspension this week surely includes the grand final whereas if they'd been eliminated, would he really be able to include all the club rugby games coming up?
I don't think there's anything to prevent him from using club games to serve it - Valetini used a Brumby Runners game for his suspension earned at test match level at the start of this year. Only issue would be if there is a bye week for his club.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Those years in Europe are impressive no doubt but it is still not test footy. Rennie would only get him for short preps between now and the RWC so the games last year tell him a lot.

That's not the cast next year. Rennie will be able to assemble his Rugby World Cup squad pretty much without interruption as soon as Super Rugby finishes.

The release window is 35 days before the tournament begins which covers the start of the Northern Hemisphere season. Prior to that is their offseason.

This is why I think we will increase the number of overseas players picked next year because we have a lot more time to make it work.

Strong chance he reconnects with three European based players for the EOYT and then brings them in again for the RWC preparation to see who he wants in the squad.

In my view this is why South Africa can be so much stronger at the RWC. They pay the price in other years because they have a smaller percentage of the squad playing locally and have to use the international release dates to bring in more players which gives them less preparation time but at the RWC they have a huge buildup with those players and can get the best out of them.

I don't think there's anything to prevent him from using club games to serve it - Valetini used a Brumby Runners game for his suspension earned at test match level at the start of this year. Only issue would be if there is a bye week for his club.

He's a Tuggeranong Vikings player and they only have one game between now and the first test.

If he gets three weeks he'll probably still miss the first test.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

He could use Aus A v Samoa, game starts at 1pm would be finished by the time the Wallabies play England

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He could use Aus A v Samoa, game starts at 1pm would be finished by the time the Wallabies play England
Whilst you can rort the system, you can't rort it that bad. When you get suspended you have to nominate the matches you'd miss at the time. For whatever reason, the suspensions are listed as weeks but are actually matches.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He's a Tuggeranong Vikings player and they only have one game between now and the first test.

If he gets three weeks he'll probably still miss the first test.
They'll probably organize some sort of friendly if need be. I know the moved players around QPR for game time in the past, but I don't know they can do that to serve suspensions.

Might be able to get a first offense down to two with the tackle safety course or whatever, hard to say with the lottery that is the judiciary though.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Confirmed September 3rd will see the Wallabies play Springboks at the new fully armed and operational rebuilt SFS. https://wallabies.rugby/news/wallab...rnational-event-at-new-allianz-stadium-202268

Wallabies First on sale from 2pm today.
Super Rugby members from 12pm tomorrow.
Team Rugby from 12pm on the 14th.
General Public from 12pm on the 20th.

I'm willing to bet I won't get an email from the Waratahs again, as I didn't for the Wallabies v England matches. I've already asked people to forward it through to me. I definitely want to be there for the opening SFS rugby match.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In what will be invaluable experience at a level beyond Super Rugby Pacific, those selected for Australia A will face each of Tonga, Samoa and Fiji in consecutive weeks. And Rennie indicated that there may be a situation when a player who would have previously been selected within the Wallabies squad, but potentially not have played, may instead be named in the A squad this time around.

"We're going to pick 35 in our squad, there'll be 30 in the Australian A side," Rennie said. "That's come into our thinking, there might be the odd guy who we think might be better served with three games at another level higher than Super Rugby, rather than maybe sitting in the background and not getting an opportunity against England.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Confirmed September 3rd will see the Wallabies play Springboks at the new fully armed and operational rebuilt SFS. https://wallabies.rugby/news/wallab...rnational-event-at-new-allianz-stadium-202268

Wallabies First on sale from 2pm today.
Super Rugby members from 12pm tomorrow.
Team Rugby from 12pm on the 14th.
General Public from 12pm on the 20th.

I'm willing to bet I won't get an email from the Waratahs again, as I didn't for the Wallabies v England matches. I've already asked people to forward it through to me. I definitely want to be there for the opening SFS rugby match.
Big day as I believe the Shute Shield GF is that day too

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies Divisions finish their regular seasons from 30th July through to 27th Aug.

Most will play a 6-team finals comp so likely to be up to 4 weeks of finals in there. Not ideal, but not anything that hasn't been done before.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Starting to get hyped for the England series. We REALLY need to fucking win that thing.

Happy to hear about the trio of lads back from Japan for it too - we played our best footy last year with each of them in the side. QC (Quade Cooper) underplaying his hand and being the orchestra conductor hitting runners at multiple angles is exactly what we need and I feel that Kerevi will be a good match up for Farrell at 12 too.

More than anything I want to see total brutality in the pigs against that England pack. Blokes going low in the tackle, smashing rucks at pace and big boppers hitting a flat ball from depth.