• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Frost is not near the best lock in the country. He could be but Swain, Philip and Rodda are all ahead of him. He like Rodda needs to improve his ball carrying. He’s extremely athletic and fast across the ground but opposition teams would welcome him been a focal point with ball in hand as he’s not great in contact. Agree with Harry from the roar podcast, he’s more Rob Simmons currently than anyone else. Simmons btw was a damn fine lock.

Hes still young and will put further weight on that will hopefully improve that physicality.
Can only conclude WM that you really didn't watch a lot of Frost in this year's SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). He was at times sensational with his carries and ability to make ground in contact. Was an area he needed to improve on but he did just that in 2022. As a bench player, he was a big part of the success the Brumbies enjoyed in this year's competition, and he would be really valuable coming on late in the tests.

Clearly, I disagree with your assessment of Rodda, but you are right about Swain and Philip. Rodda to me is essentially Rob Simmons without the headgear.

• Haha
Reactions: Ged

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Can only conclude WM that you really didn't watch a lot of Frost in this year's SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). He was at times sensational with his carries and ability to make ground in contact. Was an area he needed to improve on but he did just that in 2022. As a bench player, he was a big part of the success the Brumbies enjoyed in this year's competition, and he would be really valuable coming on late in the tests.

Clearly, I disagree with your assessment of Rodda, but you are right about Swain and Philip. Rodda to me is essentially Rob Simmons without the headgear.
Watch every Aus game but don’t own a pair of rose coloured glasses. So that may taint the difference in opinion.

For the record I think he’s a good player atm and will only get better.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
would prefer someone with more experience over Frost, potential and glimpses of a good player show he is worth investing in, but still very raw, needs work on game management and and accuracy in general play before talking about him as a regular match day member.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah the price thing is quite a blunt measurement of something quite multi-factored I think.

They also showed that if you're still kicking around 5 years into your career, your worth doubles. Same goes for age: 28 year olds get so much more than 23 year olds. So, good fly halves take ages to develop. Also dare I say it their attributes are a lot rarer than hookers. Lot easier to find a squat man with good work ethic who can practice throwing 1000 times. Compared to a fly half with actual vision and acceleration. Same goes for why locks are so expensive, you need two of them and you can't train to be 6'6.
Except in QLD where being able to throw is optional.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
More I think of it, more I'm sure Cadeyrn Neville will play against England - and probably start alongside Swain.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
According the international rugby community the Wallabies are the favourites for this series. I don't know, maybe for the poor English perfomances in 6 nations and the recent Baa Baas game. After 8 defeats in a row I'm not so sure, Eddie knows Aussie Rugby like the back of his hand

Last edited:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
According the international rugby community the Wallabies are the favourites for this series. I'm don't know, maybe for the poor English perfomances in 6 nations and the recent Baa Baas game. After 8 defeats in a row I'm not so sure, Eddie knows Aussie Rugby like the back of his hand

If we can get our best 23 onto the paddock we can beat them.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What's more egregious is that Ireland are paying $5 to beat NZ. Ireland have won the past 3/5 matches they've played. Also bookies have Argentina as clear favourites against Scotland which I don't agree with. England, Scotland are favourites IMO, with NZ still favourites but much closer than they have.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
According the international rugby community the Wallabies are the favourites for this series. I'm don't know, maybe for the poor English perfomances in 6 nations and the recent Baa Baas game. After 8 defeats in a row I'm not so sure, Eddie knows Aussie Rugby like the back of his hand

This seems more than a stretch. How long since he lived in Australia?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
wanna reveal your thinking?
More size and influence on scrum that anything, especially with Tupou a chance to miss. If not Neville, then Holloway as lock. I can't see a Swain/Philip combination, for example. But as I say, just my intuition.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
More size and influence on scrum that anything, especially with Tupou a chance to miss. If not Neville, then Holloway as lock. I can't see a Swain/Philip combination, for example. But as I say, just my intuition.
Do you reckon Philip is weak in the scrum? Rebels scrum was one of the very few alright bits of their season.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Except in QLD where being able to throw is optional.
That's actually optional across the country, with Porecki seemingly the only reliable thrower under any sort of pressure. McInerney as fourth string at brums is probably the only other consistent thrower (yes it's me, Mrs McInerney).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
After 8 defeats in a row I'm not so sure, Eddie knows Aussie Rugby like the back of his hand
Eddie Jones knows Michael Chieka Rugby like the back of his hands.

Actually, now that I think about, every international coach knows how to counter Michael Chieka Wallabies; kick the ball deep into the Wallabies 22, Put pressure on the line out and pop-gun Foley, get the ball back at the 25m line after a clearance kick, hold onto the ball for 5 phases, a penalty or error will occur, score points.

Rinse and repeat until 30 points ahead, then put the reserves on to make it appear as a close game.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has suffered a long term Achilles injury :( damn, I was ready for him to kick on.

Hanigan & Talakai have been called in.