• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd love to have seen Tom Hooper in the squad if he didn't get injured at the end of super rugby. Would answer a lot of the issues we are having at 6.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would include him on the EOYT squad but I wouldn't look to play Gleeson in Test rugby just now even though he probably could handle it. He's had some injury concerns already and him playing Test rugby is a good way to ruin him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty well on the money but I can only guess that you didn’t watch much of the As games? McReight was everywhere and was a step above everyone else on the paddock in both games. He was bullying rather than being bullied. He’s getting stronger and carry’s the ball often and well.
Hooper is Hooper and he has earned a little breathing space if he has an off game or two, which is very rare for him. He will need to bounce back in the RC. Looked a bit tired or distracted? I’m sure he will show his true worth in the next game.
It is going to be almost impossible to leave McReight out of the RWC squad.

Hey Joe, I did watch all A games, in many ways more important to me than the Wallabies. McReight was a top performer sure, but I didn't think enough to be threatening the Wallaby 23 let alone Hooper in #7. Very happy that you see more, I like the guy and he could easily be the future. I just didn't think any A threatened the WB squad/23.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah McReight has a huge future but if we're looking for more impact at 7 than Hooper... McReight ain't it. He's probably smaller.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm hoping Sio can continue his fitness levels and work rate and skills he showed at the end of the Super Rugby comp, at the Force or whereever he goes. Bell is a star in the making but post-RWC23 for me. The second test showed some issues with the very physical game put on by England. Slipper to start and Sio on the bench against stronger opposition while Bell gets his chances to develop against sides like Italy, Scotland and Pacific Nations.

I don't think Porecki has made the No 2 jersey his own. Again I think he struggles against the physical sides. If Fainga'a can convince us of his throwing prowess at the Force, then he has much more impact in open play and at maul time.

Over the ball skills probably are lacking but that is an area of the game that has changed dramatically in recent years. Sides get penalised more often than they win possession through pilfering. The better option seems to be to win the ruck contest by pushing over the ball. If the Wallabies want to add strength and power across the pack they could do worse than play Pete Samu at 7 with Hooper off the bench where he could carve up later in the game.

Tupou was the most disappointing player across the series. I reckon, though, once he leaves what looks like a poor environment at the Reds and comes under the tutelage of Nick Stiles (if the reports turn out to be correct) he will show real improvement on his form this series. He needs to regain his love of the game otherwise we might lose him altogether.

To perhaps head off some of the ignorant, wise cracking comments likely to come from this, neither Sio nor Fainga'a are Brumbies. They are very good players in the mix for selection and I reckon a change of scenery in another franchise could bring them right back into starting contention for the Wallabies. Just as I think Tupou will come good again somewhere else but at the Reds.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm hoping Sio can continue his fitness levels and work rate and skills he showed at the end of the Super Rugby comp, at the Force or whereever he goes. Bell is a star in the making but post-RWC23 for me. The second test showed some issues with the very physical game put on by England. Slipper to start and Sio on the bench against stronger opposition while Bell gets his chances to develop against sides like Italy, Scotland and Pacific Nations.

I don't think Porecki has made the No 2 jersey his own. Again I think he struggles against the physical sides. If Fainga'a can convince us of his throwing prowess at the Force, then he has much more impact in open play and at maul time.

Over the ball skills probably are lacking but that is an area of the game that has changed dramatically in recent years. Sides get penalised more often than they win possession through pilfering. The better option seems to be to win the ruck contest by pushing over the ball. If the Wallabies want to add strength and power across the pack they could do worse than play Pete Samu at 7 with Hooper off the bench where he could carve up later in the game.

Tupou was the most disappointing player across the series. I reckon, though, once he leaves what looks like a poor environment at the Reds and comes under the tutelage of Nick Stiles (if the reports turn out to be correct) he will show real improvement on his form this series. He needs to regain his love of the game otherwise we might lose him altogether.

To perhaps head off some of the ignorant, wise cracking comments likely to come from this, neither Sio nor Fainga'a are Brumbies. They are very good players in the mix for selection and I reckon a change of scenery in another franchise could bring them right back into starting contention for the Wallabies. Just as I think Tupou will come good again somewhere else but at the Reds.
Could also be he came back from 10 weeks of injury and 2 weeks of a newborn baby... maybe just a little off his game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Huh? Bell was easily our best prop in the second test and had an excellent game.

It was only when he had to retake the field after Sio's injury that he had a couple of issues.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Could also be he came back from 10 weeks of injury and 2 weeks of a newborn baby... maybe just a little off his game.
Yeah and I’d say he was rushed back too soon even with that. If AAA didn’t get injured then Tupou plays many less minutes. If we had another backup THP then Tupou probably wouldn’t have played this series at all and aimed for Argentina instead.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Huh? Bell was easily our best prop in the second test and had an excellent game.

It was only when he had to retake the field after Sio's injury that he had a couple of issues.
Bell is a freak, I’m happy for them to push him for more time/experience this year because he is the kind of player we need in the starting team at the RWC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Now the review of the backs:

Nic White - solid series. Made a couple of errors in the third test resulting in penalties but overall pretty good. Played big minutes in the first test in particular. Seems pretty locked in as the starter. His work in Wright's try in the third test was excellent.
Jake Gordon - limited minutes in the first two tests but was fine. Tight with McDermott for the backup role which ultimately I expect McDermott to take.
Tate McDermott - was pretty good off the bench in 20 odd minutes in the third test. Can put pace on the game.
Noah Lolesio - was solid in the series and his goal kicking in the first test was excellent. Did an excellent job coming in as the starter with no notice in the first test and leading us to our only victory in the series. Still a lot of questions over where he stands longer term. His error trying to recover the ball off the lineout in the third test leading to the Marcus Smith try ultimately decided the series.
Samu Kerevi - was generally excellent. His kicking has improved out of sight and he's probably our most important back if not our most important player. Genuinely world class.
Len Ikitau - was good in the first test. Steady improvement in his game.
Hunter Paisami - was pretty good in the second and third test. Pretty good contest with Ikitau for this spot.
Marika Koroibete - outstanding series. His skills and workrate are world class. He's in everything.
Andrew Kellaway - was good in the first test before missing the second and third through injury.
Tom Wright - filled in really well at fullback in the second test then played well again on the wing in the third. Certainly raised his standing in this series.
Jordan Petaia - was good in the first test but then got concussed in the opening minutes of the second. Still needs to string together some consistent test rugby health-wise.
Tom Banks - was going quite well in the first test before suffering a long term injury. Could that have been his last game for the Wallabies?
Reece Hodge - was fairly average in the third test with a couple of key errors.
James O'Connor - looked short of a run in the first two tests. We need him to stay healthy though as I think he's in our best 23.
Suli Vunivalu - didn't really get an opportunity to show whether he's ready for this level.

Outside of a couple of players our backs were mostly just ok.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah McReight has a huge future but if we're looking for more impact at 7 than Hooper... McReight ain't it. He's probably smaller.
He is slightly taller and was the same weight 3 years ago. He still has a little growing to do.
I am not suggesting Hooper is replaced, I am a massive fan and he has earned the right to be there. As you would expect, McReight is closing the gap.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Lolesio just doesn't constitute the triple threat the wallabies need to create more space in the wider channels. Any defensive line only needs to defend the pass/kick option. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good footballer and has played pretty well during this series.. (especially noting his great goal kicking in the first 2 tests), but when comparing him to a Barrett/Moúnga/Marcus Smith etc type (who all also pose a huge threat with ball in hand and attract more defensive attention) he's far less challenging. Imagine if Kerevi had more space and one less defender to face... He would have been even more effective. IMO Cooper comes straight back in now... with the jury still out on who is the next 10 post RWC 23.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I agree with all of this...

If Petaia can only stay healthy - and long enough as well - so we can see his talents..

He just might be the X-factor we need for next years RWC
“If Petaia can only stay healthy - and long enough as well - so we can see his talents..”………. that is the big question…can he?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I got to say I find the positivity baffling around Rennie. I wouldn't give him higher than 4/10 right now. Firstly, we cannot use injuries as an excuse, everyone is dealing with them except Ireland and South Africa. England lost Tom Curry in the first half of the first Test, Itoje in the 2nd Test and Underhill didn't play the 3rd. That's arguably their three best players and not even counting the quality left at home either.

Rennie is now 1-5 v England, Wales and Scotland. Not good. Last year he went 0-3 against NZ despite going 1-2-1 in 2020. Zero improvement. He's drawn twice to Argentina already. Yes, we beat the Springboks 2-0 and that was very impressive but an outliner now. He's 2.5 years into the job, that's equivalent of Cheika's reign after 2016. There's no way we would have the same positivity if this were Cheika. I'd argue he had a better record and accomplished more in 2014-2016 than Rennis has so far.

Our attack is pathetic, we're doing the same dumb shit under Cheika (look at our run metres compared to England). We're not tactically better, we don't know how to play proper pressure Test rugby and can't break down defences after sustained pressure. Rennie won't be sacked before the RWC but I don't think he's the saviour by any means. A false dawn.

I do agree with most of this post, Rennies record is not good. But I would argue compared to Chieka, tactically we are better. So many Cheika games we had no strategy at all, remember out inability to exit our 22, those repeated chip kicks in our own 22? It was a nightmare to watch.

I feel now under Rennie there hasn't been any games where the strategy was so poor it was prime reason we lost, I feel now its skill execution mainly letting us down: kicks into touch, poor passes, dropped balls etc.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The decision to not allow 4 international players will go down as an unmitigated disaster.

It doesn't have to be like this RA. Don't walk into the abyss eyes wide shut - there is still time to change, no one will care.

Was a stupid decision when made and is becoming worse by the match.

If player of the series and John Eales medallist Marika Koroibete is the casualty they will have totally lost me.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We missed our only shot at goal in that period though and we didn't turn down any shots at goal.

Our opportunities were more to score tries and we couldn't execute.

I would argue that our biggest issue currently is discipline. We still give away far too many dumb penalties in almost every test. There were a lot of key moments in that test where we lost momentum or gifted points on the back of discipline.

On the discipline point, much of that is made from pressure. When your defending fast front foot ball or defending on the line so often your bound to either let in tries or make penalties. I feel if we are more accurate at the breakdown, more capable at slowing opposition ball, stronger in the contact zone, or just more able to absorb pressure we will naturally make less penalties.

But then again we do have players headbutting and diving into rucks too.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Our discipline was fine on the weekend, 10 penalties v 11.

forward pack is missing pilferers. Our 2, 6 & 8 aren’t particularly strong across the ball, compared to other internationals we’re seriously losing out there.

Is Gamble fit? He's like a big 7 or a Hybrid 6. He's had a great season at the Tahs.