• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We have some very good 7s running around. Other backrowers too.
I seriously doubt McMahon or any other backrowers OS would be considered right now.

Hopefully Hooper makes his way back in good time. In the mean time McReight stands head and shoulders above the others.

I thought Jed went well. He will be tested over the next month or so and we will have a better idea but he looks well suited to test footy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd assume that Rennie will handle the gap left by Hooper in the near term just with McReight and Samu.

It will be interesting to see what happens now with Hooper. Is a few weeks away going to resolve things and the biggest step was just letting everyone know he had an issue? Or now that he's stepped away will he realise that there's actually a lot to deal with now that he's started the process and he needs a considerable amount of time away.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You'd assume that Rennie will handle the gap left by Hooper in the near term just with McReight and Samu.

It will be interesting to see what happens now with Hooper. Is a few weeks away going to resolve things and the biggest step was just letting everyone know he had an issue? Or now that he's stepped away will he realise that there's actually a lot to deal with now that he's started the process and he needs a considerable amount of time away.
yeah it's a weird process trying to gauge it. I wouldn't be upset if he took the rest of the year off and we let McReight start a few more games.

Rather trust he gets better than risk rushing it. Sports stars in the twilight of their career are particularly vulnerable and now with the emergence of CTE, we can't be cautious enough. That story of the Scottish #8 Siobhan Cattigan was absolutely harrowing and the mind drifts back to Vickerman too.

Last edited:

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Not shouted at exactly, but how has Pone earned a debut? He’s nowhere near the other two.
While I agree his not as good as the two ahead of him, it's a year out from the RWC and you need to give him a shot before then to see if he can make the step up in level. His set piece was solid enough in Super Rugby that some game time is not the worst decision before next year.

wamberal99

Charlie Fox (21)
While I agree his not as good as the two ahead of him, it's a year out from the RWC and you need to give him a shot before then to see if he can make the step up in level. His set piece was solid enough in Super Rugby that some game time is not the worst decision before next year.
If he can hold his own in the set piece his ball running could win games in the last 20 minutes. Pone and Thor!!!

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
And his giving away of penalties could lose it. Let Pone prove himself in an Aus A game first. Or you know, super rugby.
Seems reckless to wait until one of the 2 capped Tightheads you have in the entire squad to have an injury to blood a rookie. he's had miles more Super Rugby experience than Gibbon and He has been in the wallabies squad for 2 years now. Last year we capped Ollie Hoskins bc Pone had a calf injury ffs lol

Edit: He's also had about triple the Super Rugby experience that Leota had when he got given a crack

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Seems reckless to wait until one of the 2 capped Tightheads you have in the entire squad to have an injury to blood a rookie. he's had miles more Super Rugby experience than Gibbon and He has been in the wallabies squad for 2 years now. Last year we capped Ollie Hoskins bc Pone had a calf injury ffs lol

Edit: He's also had about triple the Super Rugby experience that Leota had when he got given a crack

Are you saying Pone has more super rugby experience? I’m not sure if this is accurate but Gibbon has 48 games and Pone has 25.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't you just select the player when you need them?

If you want to select them now so they have more experience in the future and it's less of a compromise to select them then aren't you just compromising the team now instead?

If Pone had been selected earlier than that we would have still selected Ollie Hoskins on the EOYT because Pone was injured at the time.

It's amazing how often people suggest mixing up team selections and giving more of the squad a run versus how infrequently that actually happens.

It's only really when we play against a tier 2 team that there's a clear decision to not select the best 23.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Are you saying Pone has more super rugby experience? I’m not sure if this is accurate but Gibbon has 48 games and Pone has 25.
Wow, Where was Gibbon before rebs? I can remember him at the rams then nothing. I'll admit i give the rebels very little of my brain time. Pone has been in the Wobs squad for ages though

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Don't you just select the player when you need them?

If you want to select them now so they have more experience in the future and it's less of a compromise to select them then aren't you just compromising the team now instead?

If Pone had been selected earlier than that we would have still selected Ollie Hoskins on the EOYT because Pone was injured at the time.

It's amazing how often people suggest mixing up team selections and giving more of the squad a run versus how infrequently that actually happens.

It's only really when we play against a tier 2 team that there's a clear decision to not select the best 23.
if only we were playing someone like Argentina this weekend...