• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
'focus on personal matters that need to be prioritised at this point'.

Doesn't sound quite like a death in the family or something outside his control. The wording isn't exactly overly nice.
I wouldn't call the wording particularly harsh or veiled either, particularly Rennie's words. Reads to me like a battle with illness or something longer-term for him or his family that's come to a head. Regardless, best wishes to him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gilmore. Or, what's Ryno up to these days?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't call the wording particularly harsh or veiled either, particularly Rennie's words. Reads to me like a battle with illness or something longer-term for him or his family that's come to a head. Regardless, best wishes to him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gilmore. Or, what's Ryno up to these days?
Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it's very odd timing to pull out, sounds like they reached an impasse in Argentina.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yeah could be but the same outcome/process. Just not buying it's purely personal reasons and nothing rugby related.
Given what we've seen with Hooper, Meg Lanning, etc, I'd hate for a sacking to be dressed up as "personal reasons". But I certainly imagine the second Argentina game brought everything to a head.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah could be but the same outcome/process. Just not buying it's purely personal reasons and nothing rugby related.

Personal reasons could be mulling over with his wife whether they're better off taking his severance package in a lump sum, or paid out over a few months.

Or we could just be looking into it way too hard. Either way, the timing isn't great.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just watching a few recent games in grade. Carter I am talking about. He has the basics but certainly does not look anywhere near ready for test footy. As a few have said, To’omua was preferred to him at 10 at the Rebs this year.
I saw it differently Joe. He struck me as a guy who would take it to the line if the opp showed and pass or kick if not, he's quick and pulled a centre? down from behind after he had a big start on him in Super Rugby. His D is good and I agree a couple of his kicks in play were wayward but his goal kicking was solid as was his support play.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Or a Randwick man. Gleeson might be on the bench but if he’s not allowed to play for Manly because he’s made the squad that seems dodgy to me if the 10s are and one of them is joining on Monday.

The plot thickens Jock Campbell being sent to play for UQ this weekend! The Wicks mafia controlling RA lol

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He has not had a run for a while probably. Just getting some game time no doubt.

This seems likely and also why Langi Gleeson isn't playing this weekend.

Maybe it also points to Gleeson being a realistic chance of being in the 23. If he was really just joining the squad for some experience would you stop him playing a club rugby semi-final this weekend?

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Lolesio is also playing for Tuggeranong Vikings this Saturday. In the Canberra Times it says: "The 22-year-old has not played since the series-deciding loss to England on July 16....

With a week off before the first Test against South Africa in Adelaide next Saturday, Australian officials have decided Lolesio needs time on the field. Also in the frame to line up for Tuggeranong is teammate Lachlan Lonergan, however his status is yet to be confirmed as the Wallabies navigate a number of injuries in the hooker position."

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The plot thickens Jock Campbell being sent to play for UQ this weekend! The Wicks mafia controlling Rugby Australia lol

Are you one of those "don't Vax me bro" too?

Hell, look at the number of All Blacks playing NPC this weekend;
1660887223926.png

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Let’s not speculate on ‘personal reasons’. Same as I didn’t like speculation around Hooper and people looking for rugby related issues. As someone that’s given up employment that required distance from family because there was health issues with a loved one, it could be as simple as enjoying family time yet having to give up personal aspersions for a while. It’s as likely to be rugby related reasons as it is something not even rugby related.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's not a lot to read into who is playing club rugby this weekend...

The fact is any player who didn't play against Argentina over the past fortnight possibly hasn't played any rugby in over a month...

I don't think there's any indication there of whether they will or will not be selected next week, except that if they're in line to play, and that really applies to every player in the squad, they might need some match fitness.