• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Individual tickets for RWC23 go on sale 2am AEST FYI.

Think I’m going to try and nab tickets for both possible Aussie quarterfinals. I predict a long, annoying process though.

edit: how naive I was. QFs sold out in the first 10 minutes. I only got through after 2 hours in the queue, Australia v Georgia was sold out already lol let alone anything good. Got two sweet Aus v Final Qualifier winner.

Last edited:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
edit: how naive I was. QFs sold out in the first 10 minutes. I only got through after 2 hours in the queue, Australia v Georgia was sold out already lol let alone anything good. Got two sweet Aus v Final Qualifier winner.
Long trek to use them as well, presumably. I would've been equally naive, though. Can remember going to a a fair few games in 'O3 just as an average pleb and still somehow getting ok-ish tickets. Wasn't in Europe, though, obviously...

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
This just made me think of obscene the pricing and packages are going to be for the RWC here. I understand the proximity in Europe means so many fans make a quick trip but any event here now costs you the best part of $1000 once everything is done and you might have tickets for kids etc....

Have a look at the T20 world cup. Ridiculous for a Mickey Mouse comp

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Think I’m going to try and nab tickets for both possible Aussie quarterfinals. I predict a long, annoying process though.

There will be wallabies packages that come out. Will be expensive but you will get a ticket to every game.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Saw on a snippet from the PAC podcast with Will Chambers and he was strongly against paying Sua'ali'i $10M.

Chamber's isn't exactly known for his opinions on rugby, but he had some good points, considering he's played both codes.

The main points being he reckons if $10M is the real figure, Sua'ali'i would jump at the offer because it would mean he's being paid more than even the highest paid NRL players. He also reckons you'll see a lot of senior Wallabies head overseas because they'll be pissed off.

He suggested instead of paying Sua'ali'i $10M, why doesn't RA use that money to go and find the 20 best schoolboys/grassroots players and offer them each $500k. He said that type of money is more than the NRL would be offering to majority of players in the same position and would at least keep them in rugby to get a good look for a while.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Saw on a snippet from the PAC podcast with Will Chambers and he was strongly against paying Sua'ali'i $10M.

Chamber's isn't exactly known for his opinions on rugby, but he had some good points, considering he's played both codes.

The main points being he reckons if $10M is the real figure, Sua'ali'i would jump at the offer because it would mean he's being paid more than even the highest paid NRL players. He also reckons you'll see a lot of senior Wallabies head overseas because they'll be pissed off.

He suggested instead of paying Sua'ali'i $10M, why doesn't Rugby Australia use that money to go and find the 20 best schoolboys/grassroots players and offer them each $500k. He said that type of money is more than the NRL would be offering to majority of players in the same position and would at least keep them in rugby to get a good look for a while.
You see the problem with this is that it makes too much sense.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

He suggested instead of paying Sua'ali'i $10M, why doesn't Rugby Australia use that money to go and find the 20 best schoolboys/grassroots players and offer them each $500k. He said that type of money is more than the NRL would be offering to majority of players in the same position and would at least keep them in rugby to get a good look for a while.
Nobody is paying $10m. RA have even come out and refuted this. We need to stop giving it air as it just damages the code with people unable to distinguish reality and fiction

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Nobody is paying $10m. Rugby Australia have even come out and refuted this. We need to stop giving it air as it just damages the code with people unable to distinguish reality and fiction

I don't think the number has to be 10 to make it sound ridiculous though.

Signing an NRL rookie to a long term multi million dollar deal is dangerous which means it perfectly lines up with how RA operates. It's one of the reasons I think Matt Burton would be a better target if RA are deadset keen on signing someone from the NRL. He's a few years older than Sua'ali'i, has runs under his belt at rep level and we've seen what he can do in multiple positions.

Chamber's raises the good point (as others have) where instead of spending that money on Sua'ali'i (or other NRL players), we could spread those funds across a number of players who aren't that much younger and try to unearth the next stars instead.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Chamber's raises the good point (as others have) where instead of spending that money on Sua'ali'i (or other NRL players), we could spread those funds across a number of players who aren't that much younger and try to unearth the next stars instead.
Yes but no. There's money allocated for certain things, people won't donate for grassroots (take it up with them) but they will for a war chest to keep Pocock/Hooper etc or poach big league names. There's a balance to be done.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes but no. There's money allocated for certain things, people won't donate for grassroots (take it up with them) but they will for a war chest to keep Pocock/Hooper etc or poach big league names. There's a balance to be done.

Yeah, it's not an either/or option...

The money is coming from outside RA specifically to prop up these high profile contracts.

If those same people want to throw their cash at the grassroots, that would be nice.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I gave up on RWC 23 tickets ages ago. I've been to two world cups outside of Australia and I never had the kind of difficulty securing seats that I have had this time round.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, it's not an either/or option...

The money is coming from outside Rugby Australia specifically to prop up these high profile contracts.

If those same people want to throw their cash at the grassroots, that would be nice.
Slim, not sure how it is now but in my day there were some wealthy people throwing money at subbies, which surprised me. The money gets spread around and is too thin to make much of an impact but good on them for doing it. A couple of guys in Sydneys West did some very good things in terms of helping schools with gear, setting up grounds etc to play rugby. Just about all school rugby in Sydney's west is gone now, sadly.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I know some ppl on here have something against Kurtley either for on or off field reason but Josh Addo Carr shared a go fund me for a kid from Redfern who was selected in the tah's under 12's to go to the nationals to go to qld. Upon me donating my $20 towards the $6K target I did notice that Kurtley had donated $1k himself. Credit where credit is due he is giving back, Well done Kurtley!

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
KB (Kurtley Beale) may have had his past indiscretions but he has definitely grown up and matured. He's a genuinely friendly bloke that had some moments I wish he could re do as a young man (I'm sure we can all think of few things we wish we could take back) problem with his was it was all in the spotlight.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
KB (Kurtley Beale) may have had his past indiscretions but he has definitely grown up and matured. He's a genuinely friendly bloke that had some moments I wish he could re do as a young man (I'm sure we can all think of few things we wish we could take back) problem with his was it was all in the spotlight.
Problem with his indiscretions is that he wasnt appropriately dealt with at the time. All of Quade, OConnor and Beale were generational talents that should now be recognized as some of the greatest ever but we failed to effectively implement a no-dickhead policy.

Rennie seems to have cultivated a much healthier work environment. Shame he doesn't have the generational talent to go with it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well said Derpus, apart from the 'greatest ever' comment. They will go down as great players but far from the greatest ever category.