• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not surprised he's been captain, maybe from a leadership and language pov but in terms of leading by example, he's been dominant. I've said it a few times, but it's shocking how brutal of a carrier he's been in a very physical league. The Tahs could've used him in spades this year.

Amazingly I think he was the top tackler in the whole league last season too.

Sounds exactly like what we need right now.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
In a recent interview he said he's in France till the end of his career and that going to RWC23 was much more of a dream than a reality, almost impossible I think. So doubt we'll see him in Gold or Blue unless we need a lock at a pinch due to heaps of injuries.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I know the reasons but it just feels wrong that he could turn out for France, along the same lines as Dempsey and Scroteland.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know the reasons but it just feels wrong that he could turn out for France, along the same lines as Dempsey and Scroteland.
Not as upset about Staniforth if he did ever go French. He was surplus to requirements here.

Dempsey though, he's a proper wallaby, who could be in our team now. Fuck Scotland.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like it simply because we would poach NZs preferred coach. Again.
Derpus: How long before the Robbie Deans factor or Faction would start? The Rennie one has started (me partly included) and he's been given a better run than most in the last 15 years. Rennie will take us to the RWC and I agree with that, due to there being too many injuries to judge him correctly.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not as upset about Staniforth if he did ever go French. He was surplus to requirements here.

Dempsey though, he's a proper wallaby, who could be in our team now. Fuck Scotland.

Or Coleman for Tonga.

All these overseas players we forget about, or improve overseas and become viable international options, makes you think Australia can have more then 5 super rugby teams.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Does Rugby Australia keep track of ex-pat players at all? Or is that just up to the relationship between player, agent, and Super franchises?

Given the Super franchises can't catch every young player with potential, maybe we need to improve the relationship with those fringe players who will struggle to find a spot in pro rugby locally, but develop well in overseas systems. Make sure there's every chance for them to move back into Super teams as they develop.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Christy Doran has suggested something a bit dramatic but I don't actually disagree with, offering Kerevi captaincy if he comes home.

He's a guaranteed starter, he has solid leadership credentials. We don't have a clear captain at the moment. And we should do anything to get him home. I'd be interested to see our winning percentage when he's in the side.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Christy Doran has suggested something a bit dramatic but I don't actually disagree with, offering Kerevi captaincy if he comes home.

He's a guaranteed starter, he has solid leadership credentials. We don't have a clear captain at the moment. And we should do anything to get him home. I'd be interested to see our winning percentage when he's in the side.
Very much a football move.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Does Rugby Australia keep track of ex-pat players at all? Or is that just up to the relationship between player, agent, and Super franchises?

Given the Super franchises can't catch every young player with potential, maybe we need to improve the relationship with those fringe players who will struggle to find a spot in pro rugby locally, but develop well in overseas systems. Make sure there's every chance for them to move back into Super teams as they develop.

Yeah they do but with the lack of funds its generally target. Porecki was a target as Kerevi is now but its very limited

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Does bringing Kerevi home necessarily make the Wallabies better though in the long term? He's missing these games now due to injury, not lack of availability. I don't think he needs to be playing in Super Rugby to develop more or anything like that.

Couldn't the RA money used to lure him back to Super Rugby (a competition which we aren't even sure which direction it's heading) be better used to top up a number of players on their way up and keep them onshore?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Does bringing Kerevi home necessarily make the Wallabies better though in the long term? He's missing these games now due to injury, not lack of availability. I don't think he needs to be playing in Super Rugby to develop more or anything like that.

Couldn't the Rugby Australia money used to lure him back to Super Rugby (a competition which we aren't even sure which direction it's heading) be better used to top up a number of players on their way up and keep them onshore?

under the current laws its means they get to pick someone else as an overseas player I spose is one of the reasons

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

But can you imagine all the bleating and obvious Brumbies bias if Kerevi is brought home and named as captain?

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
When I become billionaire ill bankroll it - dw. Only a couple of years off.

Well, I was reading today that Jeff Bezos ex, Mackenzie, has just divorced her replacement husband. I'm sure she's after another and still has billions to give away. Wait till she hears about decline in the health of the Wallabies, I'm sure she'll stump up, but someones got to take one for team.