• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Problem with his indiscretions is that he wasnt appropriately dealt with at the time. All of Quade, OConnor and Beale were generational talents that should now be recognized as some of the greatest ever but we failed to effectively implement a no-dickhead policy.

Rennie seems to have cultivated a much healthier work environment. Shame he doesn't have the generational talent to go with it.

I agree with everything you've said except I think you're giving Rennie too much credit for his heathier work environment.

He's only had to deal with the three amigos at the back end of their career's. Not much drama there, also to my knowledge there aren't players in his current squad who are 'troublemakers'.

As an aside, I don't think it's the job of the head of coach of the national team to set the standard of behaviours. Players are with their Super Rugby teams, in their home states for much longer periods of the year. Some of the behaviours the above three learned happened in that environment. For example JOC (James O'Connor) clearly didn't know how to handle being the marquee player for the Western Force straight out of high school and should have received more guidance.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
When you remember some of the performances Beale had during his John Eales medal year it hurts.

Am interested to see how he's used at the Tahs next year.

Or a couple of Coopers Tests. I love the year he combined with To'omua at 12. I think it was his Dunedin Test when I thought something special was starting to build.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s RWC was also superb. I think he was the winger of the comp that year.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The footy we were playing in 2010 at times was sensational. Cooper at 10. JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing. Beal at fullback. Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres. Genia sniping. Poey and Rocky in the backrow. It was amazing at times. Deans coach and I THINK Richard Graham skills coach?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree with everything you've said except I think you're giving Rennie too much credit for his heathier work environment.

He's only had to deal with the three amigos at the back end of their career's. Not much drama there, also to my knowledge there aren't players in his current squad who are 'troublemakers'.

As an aside, I don't think it's the job of the head of coach of the national team to set the standard of behaviours. Players are with their Super Rugby teams, in their home states for much longer periods of the year. Some of the behaviours the above three learned happened in that environment. For example JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) clearly didn't know how to handle being the marquee player for the Western Force straight out of high school and should have received more guidance.
See what you mean about JOC (James O'Connor) but I really don't think the Tahs should be held responsible for Beale's totally unacceptable behaviour as a Wallaby on the plane to/from Argentina. Some Tahs players, sure for backing him against Link, but not the Tahs club.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The footy we were playing in 2010 at times was sensational. Cooper at 10. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) on the wing. Beal at fullback. Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres. Genia sniping. Poey and Rocky in the backrow. It was amazing at times. Deans coach and I THINK Richard Graham skills coach?
Richard Graham was Skills Coach? Easy job with those naturally gifted players.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not sure he had intent but I think WR (World Rugby)/SANZAAR will take that out of our hands.

Tom Wright can go too. His discipline is appalling.

Foketi has replicated Paisami's game quite well. Not sure Hunter would slot straight back in.
Agree on Swain and Wright. Time to give Vunivalu a crack IMO

Only thing I’ll say on Paisami is he offers a better kicking option then Foketi, from what I’ve seen

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agree on Swain and Wright. Time to give Vunivalu a crack IMO

Only thing I’ll say on Paisami is he offers a better kicking option then Foketi, from what I’ve seen
I believe we will be very competitive at Eden Park. It is surely time. If not now, when?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure he had intent but I think WR (World Rugby)/SANZAAR will take that out of our hands.

Tom Wright can go too. His discipline is appalling.

Foketi has replicated Paisami's game quite well. Not sure Hunter would slot straight back in.

I swear Tom Wright has given the exact same yellow card away 3 times now. When is he going to learn a yellow is worse then a try.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Credit where it's due, Lalakai was good over the ball - won a couple of penalties, and I didn't notice any glaring defensive misses.

I was really impressed with Foketi, few solid runs too. He was also the one yelling at Foley to kick the ball out so that shows he can read the game and ref pretty well - well at least better then Foley did at the time.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was really impressed with Foketi, few solid runs too. He was also the one yelling at Foley to kick the ball out so that shows he can read the game and ref pretty well - well at least better then Foley did at the time.
Foketi was great but he could actually see and hear the ref from where he was standing but Foley couldn't....that's why the three in that gif doing the rounds were yelling at him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Foketi was great but he could actually see and hear the ref from where he was standing but Foley couldn't....that's why the three in that gif doing the rounds were yelling at him.

Foley was standing closer to the ref but couldn't hear? I think he was just waiting for the forwards to watch his kick.