• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

John Thornett (49)
How's Vunivalu's kicking? Eddie Jones would love a Wallaby back three that has only one kicking option.
He's not a test kicker but if you have Koroibete and Vunivalu 100% fit, they can run through defenses lol

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Vunivalu isn't signed beyond this season. He isn't named in the Reds side for this week - which means best case scenario he has 8 games + finals (hopefully) to show everyone that he's worth another RA top up contract.

Otherwise I don't think he will be remaining in rugby.
Cordingley, Thorn & Rennie are all on record they would like to retain him. He came to play a World Cup. If that avenue is still open to him, then I would think he’ll at least consider it. And if it’s money he wants he’ll be far better off doing another 12 months in rugby then signing in Japan.

Wayne Bennett isn’t the draw card he once was.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Cordingley, Thorn & Rennie are all on record they would like to retain him.
It makes sense. NRL players are 2 or 3 steps above Aussie Super Rugby players in terms of strength and conditioning. Winger is the most similar position in both codes, so it's the safest bet.

Mat Rogers, Tuqiri, Sailor, Folau, SBW, Tom Wright, Koroibete. Even lads who didn't make it in the NRL like Naiyaravoro, Curtis Rona or Joe Tomane.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s not that cut and dried though. Most of those guys were top shelf league players. They didn’t Kill it because league’s S&C was better. They killed it because they were sensational footballers. Curtis Rona was leading try scorer in an underperforming team for 1-2 seasons and be actually struggled when he first came over. Wright has a background in rugby. Tomane played rugby for a few years before he really kicked on as a player.

As far as I understand Vunivalu has struggled because his body didn’t adapt to the change in the physical requirements to play rugby.

I don’t disagree NRL S&C is ahead, but it is a bit simplistic, IMO, to argue that is why these guys thrived in rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Paisami & Ikitau both pass. Kerevi has improved his offloading game a lot which is great for the roving winger. Wingers also roam more across the width of the park to work off the 10 and off others.

MK doesn’t really need centres to pass him the ball. Not that it wouldn’t be a good thing, but he just goes and finds it himself.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tom Wright seems to be more than just adequate too. Doesn't kick very often but seems to be able to get good distance and accuracy when he does.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
It’s not that cut and dried though. Most of those guys were top shelf league players. They didn’t Kill it because league’s S&C was better. They killed it because they were sensational footballers. Curtis Rona was leading try scorer in an underperforming team for 1-2 seasons and be actually struggled when he first came over. Wright has a background in rugby. Tomane played rugby for a few years before he really kicked on as a player.

As far as I understand Vunivalu has struggled because his body didn’t adapt to the change in the physical requirements to play rugby.

I don’t disagree NRL S&C is ahead, but it is a bit simplistic, IMO, to argue that is why these guys thrived in rugby.
It's pretty simple. There are 466k registered League players in Australia against 80k (?) registered Union players. The talent pool is larger so is not rocket science.

It's there more than 1 million registered Aussie Rules players in Australia. I have not idea about that sport but the talent pool is largest, so, they have better athletes

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Tom Wright seems to be more than just adequate too. Doesn't kick very often but seems to be able to get good distance and accuracy when he does.
Tom Wright is a hell of player, mate. I was surprised how quick he adapted to Union. He's the best signature from NRL since Folau, he plays all the games in Super Rugby and many at international level, so if you compare him with Vunivalu is 10 times more productive

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Ikitau also has a strong left foot kick…

And unless Kellaway is going to be shifted to fullback, I’d still expect him to be on one wing.
In the short term, yes. This whole conversation is very speculative forum talk - we are basically taking about a guy who played 7 games last year and none so far this year. But I guess a few of us see a pretty high ceiling in Vunivalu. That’s not to denigrate Kellaway at all. He has been terrific.

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wright’s anger management always worries me. Good player but can do some dumb things.
Hopefully Rennie and co iron that out going forward....
Hopefully they sort out Nic Whites anger and general bullshit like throwing the ball away. If This isn’t sorted I would rather not have him there as on an international level it will cause us too much pain in penalties and cards. Just focus on your skills leave the agro to the forwards

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
White's played 45 tests and I'm not sure he's ever been carded. I think he's pretty good at treading the line of antagonising the opposition without getting penalised

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Hopefully they sort out Nic Whites anger and general bullshit like throwing the ball away. If This isn’t sorted I would rather not have him there as on an international level it will cause us too much pain in penalties and cards. Just focus on your skills leave the agro to the forwards
As Squidge says, he’s a glorious moustachioed little pissboy. He’s a more well rounded scrum half than any of the other current candidates at present. Tate will get there but not the full package as yet.

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
As Squidge says, he’s a glorious moustachioed little pissboy. He’s a more well rounded scrum half than any of the other current candidates at present. Tate will get there but not the full package as yet.
He was carded round 4 against the rebels, Im not saying he isnt good but you look at this years aggression especially that first game against the force and it just doesnt add anything to the game and more and more his antics are costing the brumbies penalties and getting mached another 10 meters. I just think if he dropped the aggro he would improve. Look at how much game time he chews up acting like an idiot trying to fight locks.

Internationally and Locally are now really starting to penalise the things such as throwing/kicking the ball away to prevent quick play something Nic is Well known for.

I enjoy every other part of his game just cant get behind his increased aggro and increasing cynical play

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
White's played 45 tests and I'm not sure he's ever been carded. I think he's pretty good at treading the line of antagonising the opposition without getting penalised
Throwing the ball away or keeping it to not let the opposition take a quick tap is a dick head act that the refs are not policing at all.
They need to and the assistant refs see it all the time and do nothing??

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
Throwing the ball away or keeping it to not let the opposition take a quick tap is a dick head act that the refs are not policing at all.
They need to and the assistant refs see it all the time and do nothing??
This is being policed now, not every time but is definitely happening a lot more

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He was carded round 4 against the rebels, Im not saying he isnt good but you look at this years aggression especially that first game against the force and it just doesnt add anything to the game and more and more his antics are costing the brumbies penalties and getting mached another 10 meters. I just think if he dropped the aggro he would improve. Look at how much game time he chews up acting like an idiot trying to fight locks.

Internationally and Locally are now really starting to penalise the things such as throwing/kicking the ball away to prevent quick play something Nic is Well known for.

I enjoy every other part of his game just cant get behind his increased aggro and increasing cynical play
He was carded in round 4 for reaching over the ruck and knocking the ball out of the halfback's hands when the rest of the team had already been penalised for infringements.

No throwing the ball away or being a brat. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its not effective or is a trait that he deserves to be not selected for. His a loud annoying halfback with a big gob who's competitive.. its his job, andas stated above its been 45 tests .. I think he knows what he can or can't do..