• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like Rennie is set to pick his overseas players from Japan only for the England series:

Pretty much guarantees it will be Cooper, Kerevi and Koroibete which is no big surprise.
I don’t mind cooper amongst the 3 - and in the wallaby squad but JOC (James O'Connor) been in sparkling form so would not discount him starting.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I also doubt they are intentionally biased against a particular franchise. However given RA and the Wallabies staff (outside of the players) have pretty much no WA representation, would visit the Force far less than the other clubs (due to it being further away and inconvenient), and likely watch the Force games less often (pure speculation but likely the case), I think there would be a fair bit of inherent unintentional bias.
The evidence seems to confirm this.

Sorry, I'm obviously just very pissed off at losing one of our best players in FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) overseas and then seeing a recent fringe wallaby get a top up (no matter how small) after the very long history of the Force struggling to get anyone on a top up and therefore being well behind in their overall squad salary.

You would think it's well worth the while of Rugby in Australia to get in touch with anyone in eligible Australian in super rugby who has been performing well to let them know they're on the radar and what areas of their game they need to improve on to get a look in. A few phone calls is far cheaper than actual top ups, and would likely result in a lot more of the fringe players staying in Oz in the hopes of eventually getting into the Wallabies.
If FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) received no calls it is dissappointing and a miss. In this the case though as how do we know he never received any calls.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
JOC (James O'Connor)'s form with the boot has been concerning. Given that's a core role, I wouldn't say he's in sparkling form.
He chucked a bag of ice straight on his groin when he came off last week - I wonder if he's picked up a tweak, or is concerned that he might, which is affecting his kicking

dru

Tim Horan (67)
JOC (James O'Connor)'s form with the boot has been concerning. Given that's a core role, I wouldn't say he's in sparkling form.

it's not a specific role of the 10. Any specific role of 10, I'd argue his form is currently quite sparkly.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I also doubt they are intentionally biased against a particular franchise. However given RA and the Wallabies staff (outside of the players) have pretty much no WA representation, would visit the Force far less than the other clubs (due to it being further away and inconvenient), and likely watch the Force games less often (pure speculation but likely the case), I think there would be a fair bit of inherent unintentional bias.
The evidence seems to confirm this.

I think your jumping at shadows here. I’d be 100% confident that the wallaby coaches watch every single match including all Force games.

I’m equally confident that one of the coaches has been to training - probably when they were based on the east coast.

As for no WA wallaby staff ? There’s only two Aussies isn’t there? Taylor who coached in Qld or Wisemantle who hasn’t coached any super rugby team.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
it's not a specific role of the 10. Any specific role of 10, I'd argue his form is currently quite sparkly.
Yeah but it means picking someone else who can do it. Who is it? Banks doesn't kick goals. None of the centres kick goals. None of the likely wingers kick goals?

Please don't say Hodge at fullback. White can, I guess.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah but it means picking someone else who can do it. Who is it? Banks doesn't kick goals. None of the centres kick goals. None of the likely wingers kick goals?

Please don't say Hodge at fullback. White can, I guess.

Can only agree with you here. So of course a reasonable boot off the tee would be hugely advantageous in our 10. Likewise 9 - 15. You'd think it would be identified as a key skill that the WB coaching system is pushing through the franchises.

LazyTim

Frank Row (1)
As an outsider of Australian rugby, and somebody who has been watching this Super Rugby season, I’ve been impressed with the standard of the Aussie sides so far. However, I know very little about Australian Rugby and I’m sure they’ll find it difficult against the Kiwi sides.

If I had to pick a Wallabies XV based on first 6 rounds of Super Rugby and only from Australia teams, I’d go with:
1. Angus Bell
2. Folau Fainga’a
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Jed Holloway
5. Matt Phillip
6. Rob Valetini
7. Fraser McReight
8. Pete Samu
9. Nic White
10. James O’Connor
11. Andy Muir
12. Izaia Perese
13. Len Ikitau
14. Tom Banks
15. Jordan Petaia

You guys are pretty stacked in the centres and the front row. Great talent to return from overseas too! You could be a force come the WC next year.

I’m excited to see Michael Hooper back this weekend. One of my favourite players.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm a big rap for Fergus but unfortunately he's in a back row log jam where we've got a lot of blokes who are test class. It will be sad to see him go, because a more honest workhorse in OZ rugby you'd struggle to find.
Reality is I don’t think FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) would ever make the wallaby 23 but yes your top of the middle tier of players you want to keep for your super rugby side but yes challenged to do so with money on offer in Europe and Japan. At least I suppose the Force got many years and value from FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reality is I don’t think FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) would ever make the wallaby 23 but yes your top of the middle tier of players you want to keep for your super rugby side but yes challenged to do so with money on offer in Europe and Japan. At least I suppose the Force got many years and value from FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner).

I'm not sure the real issue is over any specific player. It's about having a level playing field. Using dummy maths here, but let's say each team is given a $5m cap, and the RA throws in another $1m each to 4 only of the teams, we are not exactly setting up for that level playing field.

More than that, when you have a new team, or one rising from the ashes, it is more than arguable that they could be allowed a greater spend, and supported in it, over a number of years in order to get established.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
More than that, when you have a new team, or one rising from the ashes, it is more than arguable that they could be allowed a greater spend, and supported in it, over a number of years in order to get established.

Isn't this what already happened though with the Force and Rebels?

They were given concessions that other teams weren't like being able to sign multiple foreign players to stop player drain on other Aussie teams, and salary cap wiggle room to build a competitive team straight off the bat?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Isn't this what already happened though with the Force and Rebels?

They were given concessions that other teams weren't like being able to sign multiple foreign players to stop player drain on other Aussie teams, and salary cap wiggle room to build a competitive team straight off the bat?

You are taking a freeze frame in time without recognising what happened thereafter. Either way, it would be more equitable if the RA top up scheme was somehow contrived to be more-or-less consistent across all teams. That implies that WBs are more-or-less consistent in numbers across all Super teams. It would need to be a longer term target but we clearly are not there currently.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Either way, it would be more equitable if the RA top up scheme was somehow contrived to be more-or-less consistent across all teams. That implies that WBs are more-or-less consistent in numbers across all Super teams. It would need to be a longer term target but we clearly are not there currently.
In principal I agree, but could it be one step too close to mandating/capping numbers of Wallabies in each squad? Once you take form, injuries, fluidity around who's in Wallabies contention, and desires/autonomy of the players themselves into account, this becomes nigh-on impossible to achieve in practice.