• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
For those looking for a break from the Eddie chat, there's a 2 and a half hour interview with Quade that just went up here:

Haven't listened to it all yet, but there were some great tidbits from the 2011 season shared as promos yesterday.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jones has stated in SMH interview that he has 3 ex-union schoolboy stars on the radar. Said they all played Australian Schoolboys.

I am guessing could be Angus Crichton, Joseph Su'uali'i, Tolatau Koula, or Adam Doueihi. Any others?

Ah yes, rugby tragic Angus Crichton.

The perfect example of "Rugby Players Lost To Us", according to those who completely ignore the fact he never played union as a junior.

Here's the truth: a lot of these guys who played union in rugby schools were only there because NRL clubs paid for their education, and let them play rugby to stay in some form of shape before they signed their NRL contract upon leaving.

Go read his wiki entry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Crichton

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

The perfect example of "Rugby Players Lost To Us", according to those who completely ignore the fact he never played union as a junior.

Here's the truth: a lot of these guys who played union in rugby schools were only there because NRL clubs paid for their education, and let them play rugby to stay in some form of shape before they signed their NRL contract upon leaving.

Aren’t his family big union people?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dunno. Doesn't matter I guess when he's not.

There are cases that go the other way e.g. Tane Edmed's Dad being a league player.

I suppose it is a case of me being utterly weary of this whole "get them back in our game" trope... I'm old, tired, and grumpy...
Eddie'll cure you of that, maybe. I hope.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I didn't even know who this guy is, because I don't really follow NRL:

>He played his junior rugby league for the Strathfield Raiders and Dundas Shamrocks. He has also a background in rugby union, having represented the Australian Schoolboys while attending St. Patrick's College, Strathfield in 2016

Do I see a pattern forming? The data says "yes".

My point: these guys aren't "lost to rugby".
They were never "rugby".
You wouldn’t sign him over who we’ve already got.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Slipper and Hooper aren't making the 23, who on earth is going to be captain?

Do we think he goes someone experienced since that's probably what's needed for the RWC or someone young, completely fresh with an eye to longevity?

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)

I wouldn't believe wikipedia. Angus' family are rugby people. His dad went to Scots and was an Australian Schoolboy in the late 80's. Angus grew up playing rugby, there are many references to the young cherrypickers ... sure. But never directly from Angus ... doesn't suit the NRL narrative. Angus always refers to the young yabbies when discussing his junior football experience.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

That’s bullshit, he played juniors for the young yabbies and then followed his fathers footsteps through scots where nature took its course. He has a proper rugby juniors background. I know his parents well, his old man played Aus schoolboys in 87, his maternal uncle also went to Scots, as did his godfather who also played Aus schools in 88.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I wouldn't believe wikipedia. Angus' family are rugby people. His dad went to Scots and was an Australian Schoolboy in the late 80's. Angus grew up playing rugby, there are many references to the young cherrypickers ... sure. But never directly from Angus ... doesn't suit the NRL narrative. Angus always refers to the young yabbies when discussing his junior football experience.

Wikipedia is a Loig plot...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That’s bullshit, he played juniors for the young yabbies and then followed his fathers footsteps through scots where nature took its course. He has a proper rugby juniors background. I know his parents well.

Excellent. I stand corrected and am sure that his Wikipedia entry will be updated as soon as he signs with the Tahs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Some interesting comments from the Report Card interview.

PE deal sounds like its pretty certain to happen.

Apparently looking at some League players who are apparently interested. Also some overseas boys looking to come home.

Sounds like McLennan is open to keeping Mckellar on.

Thinks the 20 minute red card dispute with the north will be lost.

Wants to entice players back rather than open up selection. Doesnt like the South African model.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Some interesting comments from the Report Card interview.

private equity deal sounds like its pretty certain to happen.

Apparently looking at some League players who are apparently interested. Also some overseas boys looking to come home.

Sounds like McLennan is open to keeping Mckellar on.
We now know who the league players are, as for the overseas ones - half a dozen locks, BPA, Foley, Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete, and maybe even Nick Phipps considering all the current halfbacks after White are a downgrade.