• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Jones' THP picks for his April camp were AAA, Pone, Tupou (rehab group), and then Van Nek...

If AAA and Tupou are both unavailable at the start, I would probably go HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to join Pone and Van Nek.
Van Nek looks like a real dirty pig of a prop, love it. Definitely one for the future.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Slips Poreki? HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) v Ox Bongi Malherbe
Gibon ???? Pone v Kistoff Marx Dutoit/Trev/Koch

with Carter Gordon coming off the bench in his test debut

at a sold out loftus

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Overseas options they have Sio (loosehead) and Hoskins (loosehead).

I would be considering bringing Sio in and Slipper can also cover tighthead.

So

LHP - Slipper, Bell, Sio (1st reserve Gibbon)
THP - AAA, Pone, Tupou (Slipper as cover) (1st reserve HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes))

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looks like 6-8 weeks for AAA, so very problematic at THP…

But I would think the three mentioned already - Pone, Van Nek, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), and maybe Talakai, would all come into consideration for the initial squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd like to see Pone start for the Rebels, no good him getting only 20 off the bench each week. You'd hope Eddie will send some guys to play club rugby in between training weeks (who need it). Rebels missing the finals not ideal either.

I'd be looking at HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to start with Talakai on the bench for the first Test. Pone 3rd backup. van Nek is promising but a bit too young and inexperienced for me to debut at Loftus up against a formidable front row.

I don't think we can afford Slipper at TH with no Bell (or Sio?).

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Think people are overreacting, there's still over 100 days until our first pool match. Pleeennnty of time. If today was day 1 of a 2 month preseason, the match against Georgia is week 6 of a competition.

The match against Wales is in 117 days.
The QF is in 137 days.

Right now no one is ruled out or even just in doubt of the RWC except Tom Robertson and Jorgensen (?)
Yeah but before that games you have to play against ABs twice, SA and Argentina. Unless you pick Australia A for those games, the risk of injuries is high

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
DC492CD2-1E80-4C71-99C4-E73C243DC4AE.jpeg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Eddie regarding the giteau law, confirming what we're all thinking:
“We haven’t tabled that (a change) with the board yet,” explained Jones. “But I’m sure we are going to get a positive response about having more players because you know, we have got Will Skelton (Stade Rochelle)., who is probably the best right hand side lock in the world. Richie Arnold at Toulouse is a fantastic player in the Top 14. Quade Cooper, Marika Koroibete (both playing in Japan), you know, we can’t snub that sort of talent.”

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Overseas options they have Sio (loosehead) and Hoskins (loosehead).

I would be considering bringing Sio in and Slipper can also cover tighthead.

So

LHP - Slipper, Bell, Sio (1st reserve Gibbon)
THP - AAA, Pone, Tupou (Slipper as cover) (1st reserve HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes))
Ollie Hoskins plays TH I believe. With London Irish being punted from the Premiership, maybe a chance to bring him back to Oz for WC?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Eddie regarding the giteau law, confirming what we're all thinking:

he also said this about Samu

Just a tiny little strain in his hamstring,” he ventured. “It’s to be expected coming back from a knee recon. I liked what I saw. Powerful, quick, incisive. We will get him right for the Rugby Championship and then for the World Cup