• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
In a report in the Times on Tuesday evening, it was revealed that the review of Eddie Jones' position as England coach uncovered some ugly truths about the atmosphere in the England dressing room.

The report suggests that Jones had created a "draining" environment for players, and that fallouts with specific players had begun during a trying Six Nations.

These kinds of reports from the English camp are not necessarily new - Jones has been criticised in the past for his treatment of backroom staff. However, the report in the Times suggests that Jones had begun to fall out with the players in the England squad over the course of 2022, putting a ticking clock on his time in the job.

A Six Nations campaign which saw England claim just two wins, and suffer defeat to rivals Scotland and Ireland, had tensions running high in the England camp, and the Times report suggests that those tensions led to a severe fallout with Saracens man Max Malins.

Malins was allegedly reduced to tears by scathing criticism from Jones, who slammed the Sarries back's body language and dumped him from the squad. The Times claim that incidents like these across the year made Jones unpopular with the squad, and ultimately made his position untenable.

It is ironic that when a coach is sacked for above reasons or players too because of poor form or disciplinary reasons, there is always a new team that will welcome them wholeheartedly as if they are supermen…. Eddie is good for 2-3 years max….then he loses the room…. So expect a massive payout when he doesn’t go the 5 year distance…. more incompetency from the dopes that run Australian rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The reported salary would make him one of the lowest paid Wallaby coaches in recent history, and almost half what he was earning in England

Reactions: TSR

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah i was saying Rennie should go but bringing in Jones leaves a bit of a sour taste.

Hes literally just been sacked for doing shite with a way better squad than ours.
Agree Derpus….sacked for losing the room with a great squad and then hailed as a saviour now with us… and 5 years? Way too long … he won’t see that out I’m predicting… he does generate interest in the game though… will be interesting if nothing else.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you can actually go back and name these supposed young players who didn't receive enough game time, and the players that should've been dropped for them...

That might be a bit more constructive?
Bugger off, you are quite aware that is almost impossible, I've done too much keyboard work for you already...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
My guesses would be Sua'ali'i, Murray and Chricton. The first is a given and the other two potentially fill a hole where we lack depth (assuming Crichton is earmarked as a 6). If not he also ticks Eddie’s project box of having a back rower in the centres.
Hooper?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It is so good a chairman who can make tough even brutal business/management decisions. In the past Rugby Australia would have been England in this example and the media would have rinsed Rugby Australia for another stupid decision (in terms of letting someone go without being on gardening leave).

I like Rennie and this is brutal on him but thats why McLennan is there. He makes the big calls and he would of simply said which of these two coaches is more likely to help us win the RWC. If it is Jones then make it happen.
Jimmy, this is not a big call IMHO, a big call would have been to take Razor or Coleman and Cron (as coach and asst.).
Any bloody idiot can spend a huge lump of money on a big name, it takes guts or desperation to make a call elsewhere.
This kind of decision can backfire if the promised great glowing future doesn't appear and quickly....

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He was u16 last year, so assuming 17 this year, he'll be 18 next year and possibly left school? Isn't he 105kgs? He'd be physically fine and you need to get in before NRL so I don't see why he wouldn't be on the hit list to sign for 2024.
Too Young?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
So, you’ve just been repeating a claim you have no evidence of?

I’m glad we finally got to the bottom of this, and won’t hear anymore about it.
Slim, someone should have forced you to read what a site like this is about, it is not a court of law it is a bloody opinion site, god! you're boring.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wasn’t Fittler’s son a reserve in the u16 game? The kid could be a great pick up - I believe I’ve seen him once so I’m in no position to judge but why would we consider him a priority signing?

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah i was saying Rennie should go but bringing in Jones leaves a bit of a sour taste.

Hes literally just been sacked for doing shite with a way better squad than ours.
Is your appreciation of the English squad so high?

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
I wouldn’t take the NRL hit list talk as gospel, that’s just standard Eddie propaganda. Wouldn’t be surprised if these rumours don’t leak every couple of months just to bump rugby back into the headlines

Agree with the above, but its January and there's no Rugby on here so its fun to speculate.

The Tele reporting this morning the 3 players are

1. Joseph Sua'ali'i
2. Will Pennisi
3. Nelson Asofa-Solomona

First two have a strong Rugby history and are making waves in the NRL at a very young age. Either would be a big coup.

Unsure about NAS, he's the perfect height and build for a second rower but would take time for him to pick up the nuances and you'd think he'd prefer to play for the ABs having grown up in NZ.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, someone should have forced you to read what a site like this is about, it is not a court of law it is a bloody opinion site, god! you're boring.

And when someone voices an opinion, it’s usually expected that they’ve formed some reasoning to base said opinion on.

Particularly when they repeat the same opinion page after page after page…

Anyways, I’m glad we can put that discussion to bed and move on.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Agree with the above, but its January and there's no Rugby on here so its fun to speculate.

The Tele reporting this morning the 3 players are

1. Joseph Sua'ali'i
2. Will Pennisi
3. Nelson Asofa-Solomona

First two have a strong Rugby history and are making waves in the NRL at a very young age. Either would be a big coup.

Unsure about NAS, he's the perfect height and build for a second rower but would take time for him to pick up the nuances and you'd think he'd prefer to play for the ABs having grown up in NZ.
Nelson Asofa-Solomona would make Darcy Swain look like a saint with how Rugby is officiated.

Sua'ali'i & Pennisi would be great pick ups but the cost would be prohibitive to retaining current talent. I think players like Jojo Fifita and Murray Tuilagi would have been high on a list previously but with how well Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) played on the EOYT and Marika always being our best there is no need to break the bank on a Winger.

I do think Crichton and Cam Murray would be able to play Rugby at a high level pretty quickly. They aren't Sam Burgess. Ben Te'o performed quite well IMO.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
1. Joseph Sua'ali'i
2. Will Pennisi
3. Nelson Asofa-Solomona

He played school rugby in NZ, as lock and number 8 according this video:

20230117-185057.jpg
20230117-185238.jpg

20230117-185044.jpg

Last edited: