• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

wallabies definitly in starting side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thought it might be interesting which players would be the first choice pick in your wallabies squad. This should give some perspective on which players are the most important, most valuable to the squad or in hind sight, the players that are least valuable.

In order:

1. Pocock
2. Robinson
3. Genia
4. Cooper
5. Palu
6. Elsom
7. TPN
8. Digby
9. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I only picked 9 Definites. The rest are all 50/50 choices. Chambers/horne. Gits/barnes/a.fainga. Honestly wouldnt be dissappointed in who ever filled the rest of the team as long as the 9 definites always stay fit.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Genia is no certainty to make the starting side, and certainly not 3rd picked after Saturday's MIA

K

kao pointman

BOTH FAINGAS have to be ther. Im stsrting to really loose touch with gits////....... and mithcell and genia,coops musts aswell

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The only guaranteed positions in the Wallabies right now:

1. Robinson
3. Alexander
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
14. Ioane
15. Ashley-Cooper

I've put Ashley-Cooper at fullback, but essentially he's a guaranteed backline player who will play anywhere depending on who else is around him.

Every other position there are battles for:

Moore v TPN
Our stock of woeful locks
Giteau v Fainga'a
And then of course working out between the likes of Mitchell, Beale, Horne and Hynes who to play in the backline to accommodate AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Genia might of had the best couple of weeks, but I think there are also other factors at play. And he's proven that he's far better than Burgess.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Genia is no certainty to make the starting side, and certainly not 3rd picked after Saturday's MIA

Despite what you'd like to think as NSW supporter, I think you will find that 90% of rugby fans would have Genia in their starting side. While he was very average on the weekend, he as proven himself as a much better player than all other options for 9 in this country.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
1st picked is without doubt Pocock at this point in time.

Pocock
Robinson
Genia
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Digby
Elsom
Palu
Alexander
Sharpe (yes Sharpe)
Cooper
TPN

So I've got 11 definite. Out of those there are 4 injured, 1 suspended from the last two games and 2 coming back from injury and not yet at full form.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
first picked if available is Pocock.

Next wrung of players are Horwill, Robinson, TPN and Genia

Then Palu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Alexander.

Elsom might be close to that last group but at the moment I am not convinced he offers much that we can't get from alternatives.

Reactions: DPK

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I almost left out Elsom. But I think he would still be a clear first picked (for 6), if only because the other options aren't tested.

Forgot about Horwill, however he is a slow starter after injury. At his best he would be a clear pick though. I wonder if he wasn't injured that Robbie might have been tempted to play him at 6 or 8 with Palu out?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sharpe is a definite, he has no competition really (what other lock do we have who can consistently make the gain line, is experienced and wins his lineouts), he is the best lock in the country but he needs to be complemented with a high work rate unit.

TPN is ahead of the other hookers

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sharpe is now, but at full strength - with TPN and Palu's running game, and Alexander as well and Kev available I don't think Sharpe would get a look in.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think under these new interpretations a running game is going to be required from as many forwards as possible and Horwill may be an option, but he has been regularly injured for a while, I don't trust his return.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Still don't understand why Ioane is a sure starter. He crabs across field more than Giteau...

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Still don't understand why Ioane is a sure starter. He crabs across field more than Giteau...
Because Ionae makes so many line breaks and busts many tackles. We have struggled to score tries since his injury.
Horwill is a must for mine as well.

If Dan Vickerman returned, would he be a certainty as well?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Because Ionae makes so many line breaks and busts many tackles. We have struggled to score tries since his injury.
Horwill is a must for mine as well.

If Dan Vickerman returned, would he be a certainty as well?

Dunno, he hasn't played for a while and his body was beaten up

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
With the squad in it's current state (i.e. injuries permitting):

Pocock
Cooper
Robinson
Sharpe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Genia
Elsom

At full or approaching full strength you can add: