• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies: Latest Injuries and selection for Test 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

I think 13 is a lot harder to defend than 12. For the most part I believe defending at 12 is similar to defending at 10.

It's harder to defend from a decision making point of view but the defense is a lot less direct. I wouldn't want to see JOC (James O'Connor) making front on tackles at 12.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think 13 is a lot harder to defend than 12. For the most part I believe defending at 12 is similar to defending at 10.

In that case JOC (James O'Connor) to 14, Beale to 10, and Folau to 15. Or even (if fit) Barnes to 10, Beale 15, JOC (James O'Connor) 11, Izzy 14, Lilo 12. We are lucky we have such versatile players in such an injury prone team

Barnes had some very poor kicks, I don't think he should be picked

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) is more than capable shutting down direct attack straight at 12, especially more so than making those difficult defensive decisions at 13...that Rene Ranger bounce not withstanding. Different circumstances I know, but one of his great games was at 12 for the Force against Sonny Bull. JOC (James O'Connor) held him all game.

About Barnes your probably right, Dave Beat. The way Beale played last night they definitely don't have to try and find room for Barnes anywhere, we already have able play makers, but then again as someone else said the gameplan for 10, 12 and 15 all relied on Lilo. I know its hard to say, but I have no doubt it would have worked with Lilo's fantastic kicking game. It was like Barnes tried to overplay his part in the tactical game, which he almost had to with Lealiifano off the field. As soon as he went off they should have moved Beale to 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) to inside.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Deans will not move JOC (James O'Connor). He declared him to be the flyhalf and definitively so. He won't go back on that after one match. Especially one for which excuses are readily available.

I think that, in Deans' mind, his selections need to plug holes, not reinvent the wheel.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Deans will not move JOC (James O'Connor). He declared him to be the flyhalf and definitively so. He won't go back on that after one match. Especially one for which excuses are readily available.

I think that, in Deans' mind, his selections need to plug holes, not reinvent the wheel.

It irks me, but I think you're right. If he moves him, it will be a direct change with Beale because he will be able to justify that in his muddled way of thinking.

If all of Barnes, Ioane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe and Lealiifano are out injured, I would go with Genia, To'omua (assuming QC (Quade Cooper) is no chance), Tomane, Horne, Kuridrani, Cummins, Folau, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) to the bench. If that's too radical, Beale to 10 but I don't like it.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I dont want to see Smith replace Gill..no match fitness means he should be no chance barring injuries.

Totally understand.
Hooper had a strong game, didn't do anything wrong.
Gill came on and played well, couldn't fault his involvement.

George Smith more often than has at least one display of brilliance ever game (Hoops or Gill didn't do that last night) - some of them match turning plays. Even his first game back in Soup he had a number of crucial turnovers and was strong in defence (one crunching tackle on Folau I recall) so match fitness I'm sure Smithy is fine.
I do like the back row mix of Mowen, Smith, Palu, but someone has to drop out and all three of them have an agreement to be there.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Jesse Mogg and George Smith included into the squad along with Ben Tapuai
Considering that Deans is very stubborn sometimes, I guess (and fear) he sees the same backline as the first test, the only obvious exceptions beign Tapuai instead of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mogg instead of Barnes.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The forwards were not the problem so dropping someone for George would be a tough call. Lack of direction with the little ball they had was the issue. I can't believe I am calling for this but Beale is amuch better option at 10.

A realistic (no one just called into the squad or people not even in it) backline i'd like to see would be:

Genia
Beale
Cummins/Tomane
Lilo
Horne
Folau
JOC (James O'Connor)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The big problem we have this week with the two concussions is that even if the players are available come Saturday, they might not be able to train for much of the week and their availability won't be clear for a while.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Horne is very underrated in attack. He runs great lines and has a good pass, plus he is surprisingly quick. Every time he's been knocked for been an attacking liability he's been in a team not known for throwing the ball around. Plus, he's a 13, not a 12. As everyone knows they are sometimes interchangeable but not in his case.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I have been a big fan of Lilo for years but surely the safety protocol dictates that none of those knocked out and especially Barnes is near contact next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.