• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies obession with peaking at RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)

Awesome article. I'm sick of this building towards world cup bs that we're flogged with. The national team is a representative side, not a development tool. If you aren't the best in your position or you aren't playing well then you should not be picked. How i'd love to be able to go back to the simple formula of picking the best FORM side with players in their natural position to go out and win every friggin game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good effort to put the quotes around the article Seb V. When I first read the post without the quotes, I got 1/2 way down the article until I got to the Advertisement: Story continues below. Up 'till this point I was thinking Shit Seb you have put together one awesome post :)

As some players have enhanced their prospects during the cup, Adam F has been one of the most consistent and readable columnists during the Cup, enhancing his reputation positively.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Wobs are not exactly the Lone Rangers in this regard; just about every top rugby nation is guilty of it.

Part of it is players deciding to hang on for the end of the 4 year cycle - the exodus and retirement of players will be noticeable next year - and part of it is the retention of coaches until the end of the 4 year cycle. Thus the cycle is embedded.

Oz will be a bit different from other nations this time - it's team has so many youngsters that they will tend to stay home longer and retire later - and it's coach will probably be retained; likewise Wales - but by and large the RWC can become an albatross around the neck.

When players hang on the natural rotation of players does not occur because coaches faced with too many decisions to dump too many experienced players for the big tournament play safety first. There is also reluctance of unions to replace coaches a year out, or thereabouts. I doubt if Lievremont would be the coach of France now had there not been a RWC.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've said it before, but once again; I'd prefer a Bledisloe Cup to a RWC any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.