• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina @ CommBank Stadium 7.45pm Sat 15/07

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes... We're going to drop the co-captain out of the 23. I'd like to see a 6-2 split this weekend with Lonergan and Hodge as our 22 & 23. I'd bring McReight into the squad. I'd like to see him on with 20 to go - the same way SA use Kwagga Smith.
Porecki was fine on the weekend. I'm happy for Faessler play off the bench.
The Skelton bashing is undeserved. He was immense around the defensive maul and adds a lot of weight behind the TH. Unfortunately, we in Australia have little appreciation for these things. We expect all our locks to be like Frost.
Holloway back in the side adds a bit more at the lineout, particularly defensively.

We earlier had a claim that Skelton gave little in the scrum in this game. A claim to the contrary is just as unsubstantiated.

FWIW and from recollection he had a reputation of being a pot plant in the scrum before he left Aus. Quite out of character with his size and muscle. It was also the tight head side that was struggling on the Highveldt so whatever he was contributing it arguably did not make the difference.

I definitely agree that 5 behind the tight head is where I would put him and I'd be hopeful to gain good pressure through the prop as a result. I don't know how you judge that was working but without explaining it you've got little.

I also don't agree that Big Will was "immense" in the defensive maul. He was in there and contributing - unlike the scrum we can see it. But "immense"? I had expected more. I'm putting a lack of performance against expectation down to his time on the field and the altitude, but I want to see more when we are back to sea level. The bloke should be a maul wrecker. He wasn't.

Right now, if his performance against the Bokke sets his platform, then I am definitely querying whether or not it is enough to justify the forced changes in selection, especially in the back row. I don't single him out as needing to improve, but I'm not accepting that he gave enough either.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
We earlier had a claim that Skelton gave little in the scrum in this game. A claim to the contrary is just as unsubstantiated.

FWIW and from recollection he had a reputation of being a pot plant in the scrum before he left Aus. Quite out of character with his size and muscle. It was also the tight head side that was struggling on the Highveldt so whatever he was contributing it arguably did not make the difference.

I definitely agree that 5 behind the tight head is where I would put him and I'd be hopeful to gain good pressure through the prop as a result. I don't know how you judge that was working but without explaining it you've got little.

I also don't agree that Big Will was "immense" in the defensive maul. He was in there and contributing - unlike the scrum we can see it. But "immense"? I had expected more. I'm putting a lack of performance against expectation down to his time on the field and the altitude, but I want to see more when we are back to sea level. The bloke should be a maul wrecker. He wasn't.

Right now, if his performance against the Bokke sets his platform, then I am definitely querying whether or not it is enough to justify the forced changes in selection, especially in the back row. I don't single him out as needing to improve, but I'm not accepting that he gave enough either.
My claim about his weight behind the TH is substantiated by the fact he is 140kg.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
When the pigs are getting battered the backs will always look crap, at the moment we are still trying to find a balanced set that can compete at set piece and hold the line around the field - I have no idea who that is

what I do believe is that the premise dropping in an "on baller" who may get at best 3 or 4 turnovers (with a couple of the usual balancing penalties for going past the ball, the tackler not rolling away), will be the solution in isolation, without some resemblance of a dominant tackle and effective cleanouts

I also don't understand the Pone love, why? He doesn't even start for the Rebels.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I also don't understand the Pone love, why? He doesn't even start for the Rebels.
We all watched our forwards get swatted away for 80 minutes on Sunday. Pone is one of our few guaranteed swatters who will bend the opposition's line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
enough to justify the forced changes in selection, especially in the back row.

What forced changes? It seems very likely that we are picking the same backrow whether Skelton plays or not and our lineout functioned fine when Porecki was on the field.

Hopefully Ala'alatoa improves as he has more time coming back from injury. This was his first game back from the calf injury playing against probably the best LHP in world rugby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Meanwhile we reflect on the fact that the Western Sydney Two Blues (aka Parramatta) are ripping it up in the Shute Shield. How good is that??

7-0-7 in First Grade - currently 6th of 12
6-0-8 in Seconds Grade - 9th of 12
1-0-12 in Thirds - 11th of 11
Haven't won a Colts game all year from 27 attempts (average margin 44 point loss).
Not fielding 4th Grade or Colts 3 as required.

Great win over Uni but hardly ripping it up

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Who's going to Parramatta? Not many rugby fans over there. Sydneysiders must attend

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
What forced changes? It seems very likely that we are picking the same backrow whether Skelton plays or not and our lineout functioned fine when Porecki was on the field.

Hopefully Ala'alatoa improves as he has more time coming back from injury. This was his first game back from the calf injury playing against probably the best LHP in world rugby.

Yeah but in contact & rucks he was poor, the bok's 1st penalty was a perfect example he didnt read that Skelton would get past the 1st tackle & he wasnt strong enough to effect a clean out to stop the turn over. None of our 2's have a game upto international standard that's the issue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah but in contact & rucks he was poor, the bok's 1st penalty was a perfect example he didnt read that Skelton would get past the 1st tackle & he wasnt strong enough to effect a clean out to stop the turn over. None of our 2's have a game upto international standard that's the issue.

It was both him and Ala'alatoa on that first penalty. Arguably Ala'alatoa was more at fault as he was there first after Skelton stepped back in his direction and ended up taking no one.

I think Uelese drops out of the 23 but I'll be surprised if Porecki isn't starting again with Faessler on the bench.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)

@BH I'm surprised at your response. You don't see the necessity for a primary jumper in the back row? Even "Likely" that we are picking the same back row doesn't mean that we have the same flexibility. At any rate with Skelton starting, imo the back row requires a primary jumper however you wish to categorise the selections.

I agree that Porecki was fabulous in the line out. Really happy to see it. He makes my starting 15 for sure.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bloody amazing that Jordan can't nail his throws. With due respect it's not that difficult, I reckon it must be a nerves/mental game time thing. I assume he can probably throw fine at training then shits it when the game starts which is why he keeps getting picked. It's such a trainable skill too, just go away and do it 500 times after training, don't need to become Usain Bolt quick or Skelton big, just throw the fucking ball straight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@BH I'm surprised at your response. You don't see the necessity for a primary jumper in the back row? Even "Likely" that we are picking the same back row doesn't mean that we have the same flexibility. At any rate with Skelton starting, imo the back row requires a primary jumper however you wish to categorise the selections.

I agree that Porecki was fabulous in the line out. Really happy to see it. He makes my starting 15 for sure.

I think Holloway and Valetini will be the first choice 6 and 8 and otherwise Leota might factor in there at 6. Either way I think we're fine with Holloway and Leota and those guys are getting selected whether Skelton plays lock or not.

I don't think there's really a case that Gleeson and Valetini or Samu and Valetini were preferred options to start at 6 and 8 and we're shifting away from that due to making allowances for Skelton.

Reactions: dru

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Bloody amazing that Jordan can't nail his throws. With due respect it's not that difficult, I reckon it must be a nerves/mental game time thing. I assume he can probably throw fine at training then shits it when the game starts which is why he keeps getting picked. It's such a trainable skill too, just go away and do it 500 times after training, don't need to become Usain Bolt quick or Skelton big, just throw the fucking ball straight.
Surely you don't even really need to have a training person with you? I don't doubt it's harder to do it in a real game with wind etc. but eventually it's all muscle memory, if you just practice throwing at a street pole in the park??

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think Holloway and Valetini will be the first choice 6 and 8 and otherwise Leota might factor in there at 6. Either way I think we're fine with Holloway and Leota and those guys are getting selected whether Skelton plays lock or not.

I don't think there's really a case that Gleeson and Valetini or Samu and Valetini were preferred options to start at 6 and 8 and we're shifting away from that due to making allowances for Skelton.
I wouldn't hate seeing a 6. Holloway/Leota 7. Gleeson 8. Valetini back row. Not like Hooper is getting buckets of turnovers at the moment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

isn't he borderline blind? Unless he's had laser surgery of late, but I heard that from a team mat last year.