• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Brisbane, Sat 17th July, 8pm

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not predicting a lot of changes. Maybe 4-6 total to the 23.

1. Bell
2. BPA
3. Tupou
4. Swain
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Swinton or Leota
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Paisami
14. Kellaway
15. Banks

16. Kaitu'u 17. Slipper 18. AAA 19. Philip 20. Wilson 21. Gordon 22. Ikitau 23. Hodge

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately I think they will need to make more changes than that. In theory I’ll be happy if I’m wrong - but only on the assumption I am over-estimating the fatigue factor from the last game.

Certainly I think Gordon has to at least start of the bench - he looked exhausted at end. I’d be surprised if the front row starts again. Certainly if Rennie wanted more output from Tupou, I think he got it. BPA was busy too and Slipped is always a workhorse.

It would be a huge effort for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to start again, but I thought Philip looked spent aswell.

And no one deserves a spell more than Hooper, but he’s such a freak he could probably belt out another 80 and back up again for Shute Shield on Sunday. Koroibete probably the same.

I think there is a strong argument for a 6-2 bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with everything you've said and maybe more players just will be too sore etc. to go again but I certainly don't think certain players (particularly key ones like Hooper, Tupou and Koroibete will be sat out if Rennie thinks they are good to go).

There are the ones that look like they were spent like Philip (potentially injured) and those that you just think should be spent like Hooper.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I sort of wish we won the last game just so we could be a little more experimental in this one. Be cool to see some what some less fancied blokes can bring.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Apparently it was their F team last night, they might trot out the E team and teach us a lesson on Saturday. The opposition are instantly vaporised when the A team takes the field.
If their forwards go up several grades, we're proper fucked.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can anybody clarify the current injury status of Kaiatu'u, Sio, JOC (James O'Connor)? Hard to pick a team without knowing who is available.

Rennie was quoted before the second test as saying JOC (James O'Connor) was fit but lacked match fitness. In that case would he be in the running for a start on Saturday?

Forwards : At this stage I would think the THP spot will change again. TT is more dangerous off the bench I reckon. Would be good to see how Kaiatu'u goes because I reckon neither of BPA nor Lonergan have made the No 2 spot theirs. BPA is surprisingly (to me) weak in contact, falling off tackles and being pushed backwards when running the ball. LL is too green and probably too small to make an impression just yet. Philip looks to be tiring but I can't see any other Lock coming into the 23 for a deciding test. Maybe Swain to start with Philip on the bench, but only if he needs a rest, otherwise both LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip to suit up again in the XV. I would really like to see McReight get a run against France but it's not going to happen with the series on the line. Isi is a chance to start at 8 as Wilson has gone off the boil as the series has progressed. In any event, it is time to swap Wilson's and Valetini's roles if not their positions. Both would go better if Rob played closer and Harry wider. I can't see the likes of Timani, Wells, Swinton or others who are outside the test 23 suddenly coming in for such an important game (barring injuries we don't know about).

In the backs, surely, Tate must start. He is a step up on Gordon in present form. I wish JOC (James O'Connor) is fit to start, but I am not sure Rennie will start him. At least put him on the bench. It is time to say au revoir to To'omua imo. Paisami has not been effective at 13, he needs to come in to 12 and for Ikitau to fill the 13 spot. Wright is in danger but as Rennie said in relation to his second test selections, they picked what they regarded their strongest side in the first test and they weren't about to throw players out on the basis of one less than stellar performance. The same probably should apply to Wright if there is to be consistency in selections.

So, only two changes brought about by dropping one of Lonergan/BPA for Kaiatu'u, dropping To'omua and bringing JOC (James O'Connor) in to No 10; a positional change with Paisami moving to 12; and a few swapping starting spots and bench spots, AAA/Tupou, Wilson/Isi, Tate/Gordon, and Ikitau into 13.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
JOC (James O'Connor) ruled out. Thats okay, Noah is improving. I think that means we'll see To'omua outside him again.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) ruled out. Thats okay, Noah is improving. I think that means we'll see To'omua outside him again.
Thats a shame. Has Lolesio played every minute of the first two tests? That 9/10/12 axis has not been very productive. I really do not know what the answer is? Where does Hodge fit in?

Why do we have such an extensive injury toll after what is another shortened Super Rugby season?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Why do we have such an extensive injury toll after what is another shortened Super Rugby season?
Boys just go too hard at each other during SuperAu. Such is the standard that many of the players say "it's like playing a test match every week."

This post is proudly sponsored by Rugby Australia.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rennie’s coaching with this group is really going to be on show this game.

I feel he will stick with the same 9/10/12 combo, which means the Wobs need to tweak their game plan. The French are playing a perfect defensive pattern to stifle the attack. I don’t think Lolesio is experienced enough at this level to make the type of structural changes needed on the fly, which means Rennie needs to setup some good patterns in the next few days.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Rennie’s coaching with this group is really going to be on show this game.

I feel he will stick with the same 9/10/12 combo, which means the Wobs need to tweak their game plan. The French are playing a perfect defensive pattern to stifle the attack. I don’t think Lolesio is experienced enough at this level to make the type of structural changes needed on the fly, which means Rennie needs to setup some good patterns in the next few days.

I would hope that Scott Wisemantel has this sort of contingency well in mind: he needs to be well ahead of the game.

Reactions: TSR