• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Japan, Oita - 23 October, 3:45pm AEDT

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
he has been a huge success at wing - he was a failure at fullback but does he offer more at wing - I would say at this point he does. I don’t know if just about safe at fullback - sure that is big part of it but you want a fullback who can take advantage of the space and offer an attacking threat. Chris Latham to my mind a good example of that.
He wasn't a failure. They would have trained for this as a contingency plan but not as the main plan. Contingency plans in all walks of life tend to be more conservative than the main one. He was solid, I don't recall him making any errors, he wasn't Folau-esque under the high ball or in attack, but who is? I think he did enough to warrant a start against Scotland if Hodge is out.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m not keen on it either, TBH. He was in dreadful form before he went OS.

But I haven’t been monitoring his performance in Europe and, no doubt, the selectors have been. If they pick him I’ll trust their judgement he has been playing well.
He was disinterested, exemplified by when he went on an Alan Jones harbour cruise and not bothering to turn up to the Tahs game the next day - or something along those lines, can't remember the specific detail. He had tuned out with Covid all but fucking up the Supe season and with his France contract locked in. I haven't been watching up North either but from all accounts he's going pretty well.

Reactions: TSR

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’m not keen on it either, TBH. He was in dreadful form before he went OS.

But I haven’t been monitoring his performance in Europe and, no doubt, the selectors have been. If they pick him I’ll trust their judgement he has been playing well.
He has been playing very well, as always particularly in attack but like both Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) he has matured and is much more physically capable in contact. His experience tends to put him in the right place at the right time on both sides of the ball these days.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
he has been a huge success at wing - he was a failure at fullback but does he offer more at wing - I would say at this point he does. I don’t know if just about safe at fullback - sure that is big part of it but you want a fullback who can take advantage of the space and offer an attacking threat. Chris Latham to my mind a good example of that.
How did he fail ?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Beale has shown on a number of occasions he's cancerous on team culture, why the he'll should be bring him into what appears to be the best team environment since the late 90's and early 00's?

Vuna spilled the beans why he and Kurtley got in a fight last month - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...e/news-story/2bfdaf86ada87d976addbe2aed7b0f06

Couldn't care less if the bloke is playing well or even changed his outlook on life. He had way too many chances and continually let the Australian rugby public down, both on and off the field.

Banks, Petaia and Kellaway are more than adequate for coverage than what KB (Kurtley Beale) could bring.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree Ignoto. KB (Kurtley Beale) has had numerous incidents that proved disruptive to whichever team he belonged to. Doesn't seem to have the temperament to be a team player, nor the maturity to recognise how his behaviour affects those around him. Leave him alone or I'm sure it'll finish badly again.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think petaia showed enough to suggest he is a good prospect at 15. If he doesn’t seize the opportunity then banks or hodge come back in.
Kellaway has been very good on the wing. He should stay there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sure, the next day.

An international commentator and former test player wasn’t aware of the correct ruling and none of the others had seen it before and were sure on the ruling. it’s not really surprising it is a point of discussion.
Well if the international commentator and former test player didn't know the ruling, it says very little about his knowing the basic laws of the game of rugby!!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well if the international commentator and former test player didn't know the ruling, it says very little about his knowing the basic laws of the game of rugby!!
You’re probably right Dan. Although - to be fair - he was a NZ test player, so there wasn’t really any need for him to know the rules. :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I agree he’s in the money, and clearly the ref & ARs knew it as they didn’t hesitate. My only comment is that it’s hardly surprising that the average watcher wasn’t 100% sure and it was a point of interest.

You're right in the context of there being too many Laws for most fans to follow.

Mehrtens also didn't need to know many Laws when he was playing - as long as he knew when to kick, pass, or run, he was good.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Beale has shown on a number of occasions he's cancerous on team culture, why the he'll should be bring him into what appears to be the best team environment since the late 90's and early 00's?

Vuna spilled the beans why he and Kurtley got in a fight last month - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...e/news-story/2bfdaf86ada87d976addbe2aed7b0f06

Couldn't care less if the bloke is playing well or even changed his outlook on life. He had way too many chances and continually let the Australian rugby public down, both on and off the field.

Banks, Petaia and Kellaway are more than adequate for coverage than what KB (Kurtley Beale) could bring.
Agree Ignoto. KB (Kurtley Beale) has had numerous incidents that proved disruptive to whichever team he belonged to. Doesn't seem to have the temperament to be a team player, nor the maturity to recognise how his behaviour affects those around him. Leave him alone or I'm sure it'll finish badly again.
What tripe. I get that you fellas don't like the bloke, but I'd challenge you to cite the 'numerous' incidents you refer to that he was 'cancerous' and 'disruptive' to team culture. 1- Delve (2012), 2- Hungry Jacks (2013) [with the other Amigos now in the squad], 3 - Patson (2014) 4- ? From all accounts he's actually a very popular squad member.

BTW, not sure if you posted the right link there Ignoto, that one didn't do much to harm anyone's view of Kurtley.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Look at Mehrtens at the lineout we disrupted 10m out from our line - "I don't know where Samu came from or how he was allowed to be there" or words to that effect. Simple answer: the lineout went past the 15m mark, so there is no need for Samu to approach from last feet until a maul or ruck i.e. an offside line has been created.

Thanks for that Pfitzy. I was sure that there was a ruling that cleared it, completely viewed by the ref - but like Mehrtens I didn't know it either.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
What tripe. I get that you fellas don't like the bloke, but I'd challenge you to cite the 'numerous' incidents you refer to that he was 'cancerous' and 'disruptive' to team culture. 1- Delve (2012), 2- Hungry Jacks (2013) [with the other Amigos now in the squad], 3 - Patson (2014) 4- ? From all accounts he's actually a very popular squad member.

BTW, not sure if you posted the right link there Ignoto, that one didn't do much to harm anyone's view of Kurtley.

Ah KOB, I see you've got selective memory. Somehow you forgot about Kurtleys assault charge that was "dropped".

What about the cocaine picture incidents?

Then there's breaking protocols of him and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) inviting a women into their hotel room.

Pissing outside a club in Brisbane and being fined $5k.

Banned by the Rebels for 7 weeks for failing to abide by the no grog rule.

Is this really the hill you want to die on?

Anyway, the link I posted was about, Delve asking a simple request by Beale, which he completely ignored.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
its still the same type of prejudicial garbage that was trotted out about Quade and JOC (James O'Connor) before their recalls.

anyway will leave it alone now. Sounds like he’s in the frame if Hodge doesn’t come good.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We missed Hodge a bit in attack, it looked like the plan was to use him as the guy to make the hard metres in lieu of Kerevi. He had a couple of promising carriers off QC (Quade Cooper)'s inside shoulder early and it looked like it was going to create space further out.