• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Based on the discussion in some of the other threads, and with the squad announcement yesterday, seems an opportune time to get this going. 10 and 15 are no doubt the crucial picks for this game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
With Boks usually naming team early(tues) will DR pick a team based on that do you think, or will he have one pretty well sorted?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Make up of the back 3 will be crucial. Would love to see Vunivalu get a crack

He is running out for Wests in clubland this weekend, along with a number of other Wallabies squad members across a few teams.

I've heard they will be playing limited minutes (40mins likely) so lets hope he does enough with ball in hand to get on Rennie's radar.

JOC (James O'Connor) seemed to impress enough for Brothers in 40mins a few weeks ago to get himself picked for the Wallabies, but that isn't saying much with the latest squad release.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Would like to see:

1 Slipper
2 Porecki
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Phillip
5 Arnold
6 Holloway
7 Samu
8 Valetini
9 McDermott
10 Foley
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Vunivalu
15 Kellaway

16 Fainga'a
17 Bell
18 Tupou
19 Frost
20 Leota
21 White
22 Hodge
23 Petaia

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Not fussed about Arnold tbh. Philip, Swain, Frost.

Back three should be Koroibete, Kellaway and Wright with Vuni on the bench.
Arnold was clearly unfit in his game against the Argies, I think we will see plenty of improvements in his game when he is match fit. As good as Swain is at the lineout, I find him mostly ineffective across the park.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd have to pick Kellaway if fit, based on his performance against England and seemed to be the first choice when Banks went down last year...

I'd also agree with DC, that despite his shocker last week Wright has been sensational on the wing but I'd be happy with him or Petaia starting with the other on the bench.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Only concern re Kellaway is that he has been out for 8 weeks. If he's ready then he's 15, if not you'd hope they would give Jock a chance

Petaia just makes so many gaffes, could see Pollard targeting him

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There are a lot of variables hence a lot of difference in thinking here on how to arrange it. It is a little weird given the team was feeling pretty settled (in the absence of injury) just a short period ago. We don't see what Rennie sees and don't really hear what he is looking for from specific player briefs - like JOC (James O'Connor) steering the ship.

Foley: It will be interesting to find out how ready Foley is. They will need to test him earlier than later.
Jock: I doubt we will see Campbell with game time unless injury changes things. Pity.
Kellaway returning seems a logical call at 15. Depending on the Hodge puzzle.
Koroibete isn't going anywhere.11.
Petaia remains the same puzzle he has always been but I imagine he starts at 14 barring starting Wright. Which I wouldn't but he has his supporters.
I can't see Vunivalu starting and a bench opportunity will depend on what is going on with bench requirements.
A 6/2 bench wouldn't surprise me.
Hodge is tricky, he'll be there I reckon but where? Could even be 10, or 15, or bench, or starch in the centres.

My temptation would be something like 10 Hodge; 11 Koroibete; 14 Petaia; 15 Kellaway; 22 Lolesio; 23 Vunivalu. Swap Foley to 22 and Lolesio to 10 *Hodge 23) depending on training, fitnesss etc.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Slipper
Porecki
AAA
Philip
Swain
Holloway
McReight
Valetini
White
Hodge
Koro
Foketi
Ikatau
Kellaway
Campbell

Faainga
Bell
TT
Frost
Samu
McDermott
Lolesio
Vunivalu

Not what's likely, but that would be my selection

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think there are quite a few spots yet to be sorted for the first test against the Saffas, not just 10 and 15.

Hooker will be between Porecki and Fainga'a. Most on here are suggesting Porecki but FF (Folau Fainga'a) probably put in the best No 2 shift by all comers in the first Argentina test. I would stick with FF (Folau Fainga'a) as the starting No 2 next week as his stronger play will be of benefit against the Saffa forwards.

Bench THP is a real concern, and has implications for the bench and starting LHP spot. Options at THP on the bench are Tupou, Fa'amasili, and Slipper. Given Tupou's poor form and Fa'amasili's inexperience, Slipper would probably be the best option against the Saffas. If Slipper stays at LHP, the decision between Bell and Sio on the bench could go either way.

At Lock, I don't think Arnold did anywhere enough to retain a spot. Our Locks have been one of the brighter aspects for the Wallabies in recent times. Back to Swain and Philip to start with Frost off the bench for me.

Holloway will probably get another chance at 6 after a strong first test and a rather ordinary second. Rob Leota off the bench but will come in quick smart if Jed doesn't play out of his skin.

Fraser McReight is an out and out No 7, but is that the way Rugby is played at test level these days? Especially by the Saffas?
Wouldn't surprise me to see Samu start and Fraser miss out altogether. But if Fraser plays, I hope he has a blinder.

Is Rob Valetini the only forward currently sure of starting in his best/preferred spot?

A lot of support here for Gordon/McDermott at 9. I reckon White will be the starter against the Saffas for his experience, defence and box kicking.

What to do at 10? Hodge is versatile and safe at 10, and has possibly the best winning record of all recent players in that spot (maybe QC (Quade Cooper) excepted?). Alternatively, Hodge could start at 15 where there is another big problem, or remain on the bench. I'm starting to think he is being somewhat wasted on the bench when he can play either 10 or 15 probably better than any others in the squad. Kellaway probably offers more at 15 than Lolesio does at 10, so maybe Hodge at 10 is the go.

I am not convinced that Paisami will just walk back into the 12 spot. Foketi looked better than average in a very poor team effort against the Argies and he and Ikitau look to have the start of a good partnership/combination in the centres. I'd stick with Foketi.

13 no question - Ikitau.

11 no question - Koroibete.

14 Wright for my money. Strong winger out of position last start at 15. Vunivalu imo is too green and untested to start against the Saffas. Should have been given time against Argentina.

15 Kellaway. Ditto comment for Campbell as for Vunivalu.

So, I'd be looking at something like:

Slipper, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa
Swain, Philip
Holloway, Samu
Valetini

White, Hodge
Koroibete, Foketi, Ikitau, Wright
Kellaway

Porecki, Sio/Bell, Tupou, Frost, Leota, Gordon, Lolesio, Petaia

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I reckon McDermott, Vunivalu and to a lesser extent, Harry Wilson are all a big chance of making the 23 against the Boks.

All three running out in clubland this weekend in Brisbane at Rennie's request and playing limited minutes. Maybe a tune up?

Status
Not open for further replies.