• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Captaincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just want to see him get a dozen games under his belt for the Ponies first. Everything else can be.considered later.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Referee interpretations of the breakdown laws have changed in the two years Bam Bam has been out of the game. They now give more advantage to the tackled players side than when Bam Bam was the poster boy for Australian Rugby. We have not seen him operate under these new interpretations.
I'm reserving judgement on him until he gets a few Super Rugby games under his belt. There is little doubt that he is a talented athlete but I don't think he is the saviour of Club Wallaby that some make him out to be.

Captain material? He has a lot to learn.
Didn't stop G Smith coming back 2013. He'd been off in Japan.

Poey will be fine.

T

Train Without a Station

Didn't stop G Smith coming back 2013. He'd been off in Japan.

Poey will be fine.

That's because Smith's skill set is far more rounded and similar to Hooper's.

Smith can put on big hits, evade and break tackles, link with other players and make pilfers. Who does that sound like out of Hooper and Pocock?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Smith can put on big hits, evade and break tackles, link with other players and make pilfers. Who does that sound like out of Hooper and Pocock?
But good players adjust that's all.

There all different, Hooper ain't know Smith.

But Hooper's breakout year at the Brumbies their was the Poey Hooper Gill arguments happened I thought Hooper be better then them all.

He has changed his game alot since then to suit the teams his in.

But he was always fast top shelf energy player.

Just wish he'd cut his hair.

T

Train Without a Station

Pocock is a great player. But look at all his strengths. They're all skills that can be developed. He is dominant in contact, but he doesn't pull off the big hits that Hooper does (e.g. Hit on Mogg). Why? Because that timing, etc is just something some players have and can't really be taught.

Pocock is terry technique. Everything he does is to excellence. He must be a coach's dream, because I doubt any footballer on any code would have the work ethic and professionalism that he does. But he still has limitations in his natural rugby ability that no amount of training will make him great at.

He's almost the Wilkinson of flankers. Any potential and ability he has he maximises and due to that is a great player, but has limitations in the style he can play

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Cut the crap. At the age of 23 or 24 Pocock was already among the best pinchers in the games, and on an upwards trajectory, improving year on year. Before the injuries his ceiling was Richie McCaw, perhaps better.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

And Hooper is now sporting at least one cauliflower ear, which must add to his captaincy credentials;)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Cut the crap. At the age of 23 or 24 Pocock was already among the best pinchers in the games, and on an upwards trajectory, improving year on year. Before the injuries his ceiling was Richie McCaw, perhaps better.

His ceiling as a fetcher and defender was McCaw, if not higher, but Pocock was never going to come close as a runner or link man. That's what makes McCaw and Smith such remarkable players -- all the classic skills of the position at the highest standard possible and then playmaking abilities with ball in hand.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
You have to see the irony. When Hooper was starting to rival Pocock in 2012 there was plenty of stalwarts dismissing Hooper as too light, while extolling Pocock as the best 7 in rugby, with McCaws captaincy being the thing that made McCaw the more desirable player.

Less than 2 years later we have stalwarts saying Pocock was over rated and lampooning the people lauding his return as fanbois.

What short memories people have.

For myself I just hope Pocock can return to form - no small ask - and that the debate turns to whether or not we should be shoehorning both of them into our XV.

Ath.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pocock is an extraordinary player. He is no Smith or Hooper in his ball carrying or attacking game, but he was working on that aspect of his game and there was noticeable improvement when he began to have injury problems.
I doubt that Hooper or Pocock will ever have the all around game of George Smith but I wouldn't mind having Pocock in the trenches next to me. He is more physically imposing than any other 7 in recent history and is just tough as nails. More finesse will come if he can prolong his career.
Hooper can have an impact through a breakout try or spectacular tackle but Poey could change a game by taking control of the forward battle and drag the other seven forwards along with him at the same time.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Personally, I think given the circumstances, Hooper is doing somewhere between okay and pretty well. There isn't really a better option at the moment so i think he is safe. Whilst he shouldn't have spoken up in defence of Beale, he was backing a mate and i know i'd do the same if I (perhaps) wasn't made aware of all the facts and implications of my statements. The wallabies fiasco has been blown out of proportion because they are holding back information. It may be necessary but we don't know that so naturally, we speculate.

In terms of the future I dont mind who is the captain as long as there are a fair few leaders in the team. I think if we are to win the WC we will need moore, hooper, pocock, slipper, genia, quade, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and to an extent Horwill to be playing. Thats not to say that they should all be in the starting 15/23 at the same time. They are just natural leaders who exude authority, guidance, direction and purpose.

In an ideal world for mine.... moore (c) QC (Quade Cooper) & hooper (vc)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pocock still being discussed on this forum. Hasn't played a Test match for 2 and half years.
Isnt that a sign he was good. He played a few games this year and on a return path.

What's really telling is that young Gill doesn't get talked about.. Hodgson barely.. Only by our Perth friends.

But its exciting to have who two years ago was a world class player coming back.

Hooper has a massive grip on the jersey.. Maybe not on the C band

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Who cares how good he was. It's completely deluded to think he'll come back the same player. My bet is he won't play another Test.
I fear you might be right.
If he gets back to his best form, he will. I have a nagging feeling he won't, but I hope I'm wrong.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pocock still being discussed on this forum. Hasn't played a Test match for 2 and half years. Some people need to let him go.

We cannot give up on him yet. He was pushing McAWE as the best 7 running around. He may or may not make it back to the top level but we have to back him until he is told by the medicos that it's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.