• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Player ratings V SA - 14/08/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
1. Kepu - 6 loses a point for a stupid penalty at the end could be two points off. Very good game in the tight and made a couple of effective runs. Scrum stable to dominant when he went against Smit.
2. Moore - 8 apart from one dropped ball this was a bottler of a game from Moore. Carried very very well, defended, hit rucks and solid at both set pieces.
3. Alexander 7 - got lucky with his first penalty in the scrum but from then on was solid. Not sighted in the loose as much but had a hand in a few turnovers at the ruck with counter ruck work. The cut under the eye looked like he got a bit of head attention in the scrum from Beast boring in.
4. Horwill 8 - thee can be no doubt he is the best lock in Oz now. Strong set piece, defended with aggression and work hand in glove with Sharpe as shown by their counter maul work for a clean turnover of Bok ball.
5. Sharpe 6 - as for Horwill, but wasn't as involved. I would still have him starting alongside Horwill as IMO they form the best complimentary pairing.
6. Elsom 7 - this was the best game I can remember from him since before his Ireland jaunt. Still not a Captain though.
7. Pocock 7 - did well against a strangely lethagic Bok backrow. I would still like to see him play less of the on-ball game and more the counter ruck game ala the McCaw genisis.
8. Higginbum 6 - Harrassed FdP a bit and niggled a few others like Spies, Botha and Habana which put them off their games a bit IMO. Made some metres with ball in hand but also missed a few tackles off the back of the scrum with one big one against Spies. Not convinced he is an 8 but would have him any day over Brown or McCalman. Not really tested on clearing a ball from the scrum as our pigs were solid all night. Samo for me as he showed poise in this aspect with a retreating Reds scrum all year.
9. Genia - 6 not his best game, but it was still daylight ahead of what his rivals bring to the position.
10. Cooper - 6 big change from last weeks nervousness and he under played his hand well. I am still not happy that they play no real set moves of set piece ball.
12. McCabe - 7 did excellently to recover a kick in behind and maintain his feet. Strong in contact as usual and in defence. His positioning in defence is getting better as he gets used to the demands of 12. Did well against World Class opposition in Fourie and JdV. Great tackle on BdP.
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - 5 doing better without the crab inside him pushing him wide but still isn't in form.
11. Ioane - 5 quiet game from Ioane. dropped one cold and didn't appear to be looking for the work as much.
14. JOC (James O'Connor) - 6 great footwork for McAbe's try. I remain unconvinced that he is a winger. Defended well.
15. Beale - 6 trying too hard. I hate the low percentage chip kicks he has been doing all year, as they invariably find a defender and not the space he was seeking.

16. Fainga'a s. - Not used I doubt he will be going to the RWC unless doubts remain over TPN.
17. Ma'afu - not used what was the point of dropping Cowan for him?
18. Timani - Not used, doubt he will be going to the RWC, why not give Vickerman another 15 minutes since Deans is fixated on him?
19. McCalman - not used, don't think he will be going to the RWC unless as a utility backrow to cover injury.
20. Samo - 6 was strong in his cameo, but I would have loved to see him get some more time to really get a good feel for how he would go in this "structure"
21. Burgess - Not used and as with Splinters Singer Whitaker will only get on the padock if the game is beyond doubt or Genia injured.
22. A. Fainga'a - 7 made a very strong statement for his inclusion in the starting 15 IMO. Pushed the pass with his first touch but if Ioane had been having a better game he would have taken the ball and Fainga'a would have been lauded for the off-load. Offers more than two-dads at the moment simply because he is in form where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hasn't been all year.

Coaching staff - 5. Still no structure in the backs to speak of and still rely totally on Player X to make the play.

On the Boks :- I will admit I was done in the tipping as I expected the Boks to have a lot more fire than they did. They appeared lethargic and in some cases slow. They were clearly blowing hard after 30 minutes bringing into question the conditioning staff of the Boks. One word of warning for the RWC, the Boks reserves showed immense impact when they came on and though I would change a few things the first being to have Smit fully replaced and not move him to THP. I thought Steinkamp was very very underdone and quite overweight. Condisidering Blue's? comments on this Board regarding him being stronger and fitter then ever before I was stunned to see his gut almost dragging on the ground at his first scrum (maybe a very slight exaggeration). I would also be getting ride of Steyn for Lambie who I think should be in the side.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought Steinkamp was very very underdone and quiet overweight. Condisidering Blue's? comments on this Board regarding him being stronger and fitter then ever before I was stunned to see his gut almost dragging on the ground at his first scrum (maybe a very slight exaggeration).
I saw Steinkamp run on and suddenly thought I was fit enough for international rugby. By the end of the game, I realised that both Steinkamp and I need some more conditioning.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I will admit I was done in the tipping as I expected the Boks to have a lot more fire than they did. They appeared lethargic and in some cases slow. They were clearly blowing hard after 30 minutes bringing into question the conditioning staff of the Boks. .

It had to be expected, you cant select a team with about 15 player returning from injury and expect them to be fit:lmao:

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Think your pretty spot on with the ratings. The comment on Higgers missing Spies was a bit harsh. He was Elsom's man and Higgers had to come across to cover.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
There has been a lot of people saying AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) did nothing and Fainga'a should given his starting spot. I'm not sure Id agree. I watched the game again last week and saw AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Making some big tackles. We also made a great break which lead to the only try of the game. I think it's a bit unfair to give him a 5. He looked pretty good and didn't make any mistakes. Fainga'a I thought was great but he made a couple of poor offloads in his short time on the field.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with your ratings for the most part with the exception of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I nearly threw something at the TV when he died with the ball after that break, 4 at best and just does not deserve his spot at current.

St Peter

Stan Wickham (3)
6. Elsom 7 - this was the best game I can remember from him since before his Ireland jaunt. Still not a Captain though.
8. Higginbum 6 - Harrassed FdP a bit and niggled a few others like Spies, Botha and Habana which put them off their games a bit IMO. Made some metres with ball in hand but also missed a few tackles off the back of the scrum with one big one against Spies. Not convinced he is an 8 but would have him any day over Brown or McCalman. Not really tested on clearing a ball from the scrum as our pigs were solid all night. Samo for me as he showed poise in this aspect with a retreating Reds scrum all year.

Although I agree that Elsom had a much better game, I think he was more resposible than Higgers for the times that Spies made yards from the back of the scrum. That is the role of the blindside flanker with the no8 in cover.

That is why I would prefer that if both Elsom and Higgers are in the side then Elsom should be at 8 and Higgers at 6. Not going to happen though.

I also agree that the Boks would be better off with Lambie in the side, but am quite happy for them to make this oversight.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Although I agree that Elsom had a much better game, I think he was more resposible than Higgers for the times that Spies made yards from the back of the scrum. That is the role of the blindside flanker with the no8 in cover.

That is why I would prefer that if both Elsom and Higgers are in the side then Elsom should be at 8 and Higgers at 6. Not going to happen though.

I also agree that the Boks would be better off with Lambie in the side, but am quite happy for them to make this oversight.

I personally will let Higginbottom have one more chance, i am a fan and prefer him to McCalman. However i want him substituted earlier if he continues to throw stupid passes and turns the ball over.

In saying that i would like to know if he made up for his mistakes via stats. Any idea how many times he turned the ball over in our favour?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think we should be so harsh on Higgers. It was his first starting test and he was trying to push himself. While I would prefer to see Samo start I think he deserves another go.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I don't think we should be so harsh on Higgers. It was his first starting test and he was trying to push himself. While I would prefer to see Samo start I think he deserves another go.

The passes he threw were not even 50-50 they were like 10-90. But like i said, one more chance to prove it. Samo's the man at the moment but what a great option to have on the bench don't you think?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I said the same thing on the Nathan Sharpe dropping, us GAGR lot are a fickle bunch. Last week we were so behind Higginbotham to be our 8, an after one average performance (he had a solid game to be honest) we want to drop him for someone who didn't even do that much when he came on. C'mon guys

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
There has been a lot of people saying AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) did nothing and Fainga'a should given his starting spot. I'm not sure Id agree. I watched the game again last week and saw AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Making some big tackles. We also made a great break which lead to the only try of the game. I think it's a bit unfair to give him a 5. He looked pretty good and didn't make any mistakes. Fainga'a I thought was great but he made a couple of poor offloads in his short time on the field.

If you're refering to the offload to Ioane, it was a great offload and had Digby caught it he was away. It didn't come off but the intention and the execution to get into a position drawing 3 players in the tackle to flick it out to a man in space was good.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Good on Ant for trying to create something by distributing the ball. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should try it sometime. I like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but this part of his game frustrates the crap out of me.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Good on Ant for trying to create something by distributing the ball. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should try it sometime. I like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but this part of his game frustrates the crap out of me.

You have to laugh seeing him make a break lately. Same routine every time; dummy outside, tuck it under the left arm and get the straight right arm out looking for a palm.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
You have to laugh seeing him make a break lately. Same routine every time; dummy outside, tuck it under the left arm and get the straight right arm out looking for a palm.

Pretty effective at gaining metres and keeping them.

Now if the Wallabies would use him off a set move inside the opposition 22 instead of playing warm up touch footy off every set piece, maybe he'd have some more success.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at fullback. Beale isn't offering much at the moment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty effective at gaining metres and keeping them.

Now if the Wallabies would use him off a set move inside the opposition 22 instead of playing warm up touch footy off every set piece, maybe he'd have some more success.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at fullback. Beale isn't offering much at the moment.

hey? still looks our most dangerous back for mine.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
I said the same thing on the Nathan Sharpe dropping, us GAGR lot are a fickle bunch. Last week we were so behind Higginbotham to be our 8, an after one average performance (he had a solid game to be honest) we want to drop him for someone who didn't even do that much when he came on. C'mon guys

I wouldn't drop him Higgers for poor form but I think he is much better utilised as impact off the bench. I'm wondering how important the 8 - 9 combo is for a team. I know in 99' we had Kefu / Gregan, 07 the saffas has Rossouw / Du Preez. What are your thoughts on that combination - is it just as important as a centre pairing or 9 - 10 combo?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
hey? still looks our most dangerous back for mine.

Don't see it at the moment. It could be that the opposition sides are putting more focus on him and not giving him any space, but I don't think he has the same venom as last year.

His best asset is his vision, but I don't think it's been what it was last year.

That said, I may have overstated my position. I don't think he's been poor, definitely not drop-worthy. Just isn't as lethal as I've come to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.