• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Squad Predictions 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Its only round 4 of the super 14 but theres already talk of berrick barnes being dropped and quade cooper being our first choice flyhalf. Theres even been suggestions of hangers in a wallaby jersy. A recent newspaper article suggested Pat McCabe as a wallaby bolter. So what do you guys think? (its pretty early so we'll prob do another one of these later on in the season).

Whos definitely keeping their spots in the squad?
Whos going to lose their spots in the starting squad?
Whos going to gain spots in the starting squad?
Which players are fighing each other for starting spots?
Any wallaby Bolters?

IMO
Definitely: Robinson, Rocky, Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Digby
Losing: Berrick
Gaining: Cooper
Fighting: Moore V TPN, Just about every aussie winger.
Bolters: Lealiifano

C

chief

Add Hynes, he has played very good in the first two matches. He's definitely up there.

I think you can add Giteau no matter how badly he plays he will still earn a spot and a starting spot

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Agreed however I think the follow also
Definately TPN (absolutely)

Still think Barnes will be in there - and Robbie will get him playing so well we will all wonder if Hickey slipped him a mickey...

Losing? I don't think Deans is one for sentiment. If that's the case - Morty will have played his last test.

I still think Frankie Fainifo deserves a spot and could be a bolter.

And given that Digby is on the wing for the Reds - I really think the ARU should get it's act together and sign Gaz and get him straight into the squad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Barnes will regain form by the end of season but i still dont think he will tip Cooper for the starting spot. As long as coops continues his mature attitude.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
outside is the question spot for me.

Can't be Morty.

Unlikely to be Hynes

Possibly Cross I guess, but it doesn't excite me.

Horne is a long shot, as is Carter. Morgan T too.

If its AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who plays 15? JOC (James O'Connor)? Hynes?

Diggers is an option but unlikely if he hasn't played there much this season.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
9. Genia
10. Cooper

12. Giteau 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
11. Ioane 14. Mitchell

15.Hynes

C

chief

On form through this S14 it should be.

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. JOC (James O'Connor) ?
12. Leailfano (however you spell it)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Ioane
15. Hynes

However it will probably be. I think Mortlock will no longer play for Wallabies any longer.

9. Genia
10. Cooper/Barnes/ Giteau
11. Hynes
12. Cooper/Barnes/Giteau
14. Ioane
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

I could see that as a winning team. Once again, I'm probably wrong, just what I'm thinking off the top of my head.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeh outside is going to be questionable this year. Mortlock is out for me. I hope deans puts AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) their, even if he hasnt played there for the brumbies i recon he'll still carve it up. Hynes at fullback seems to be solid enough so far. Horne im tippin will be the regular starting 13 for the tahs so he might be a bolter. Cam shepard might also be fit by then and could also be in contention for fullback. Will Chambers and Gasnia for 13 is a long shot too but still could happen.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
have to support patty mccabe, to be the first aloysian wallaby since 1908 (and even then it was a boy who went off to joeys)

Cyril Towers (30)
When's Cooper's court case? That could put a dampener on things.

Front Row: Fatcat/TPN/BA Weekes a bolter on the bench (BA can cover LHP if Fatcat goes off)
2nd Row: Chisholm/Mumm Neither certainties (I would still pick Sharpe but Robbie won't)
BR: Pocock/ Cliffy/ Rocky
Half: Genia
5/8: Barnes
IC: Gits
OC: Digby
Wings: Hynes and Turner
FB: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

T

TOCC

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ionea
12. Giteau
14. Turner
15. Hynes

This is probably my favourite backline, i dont actually like having Digby on the wing, i dont think its his best position, but you cant play him at 13 in the Wallabies unless he gets game time at Wallaby level. I think Digby may be consigned to a bench spot because of his ability to play wing or 13, paving the way for someone like Cummins, McAbe or Davies to steal the other wing spot.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
topo said:
When's Cooper's court case? That could put a dampener on things.

Front Row: Fatcat/TPN/BA Weekes a bolter on the bench (BA can cover LHP if Fatcat goes off)
2nd Row: Chisholm/Mumm Neither certainties (I would still pick Sharpe but Robbie won't)
BR: Pocock/ Cliffy/ Rocky
Half: Genia
5/8: Barnes
IC: Gits
OC: Digby
Wings: Hynes and Turner
FB: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

That would be the side I would pick with Sharpe a big maybe depending on his play at the end of the season.

Bench would then be Moore, Weekes/Kepu, Mumm, Hodgson, Burgess, JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell/Cross

C

chief

I'm not legal expert but Cooper's court case is very early July. The mid year tests by June 26th, and the Wallabies first Tri Nations match is on the 24th of July in Brisbane as well. So it shouldn't effect playing, will just effect training more likely. Hopefully Cooper has hired a very good lawyer.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
fullback/outside are the only problems are best at the moment is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in both positions for mine but at fullback really not inspired just not really any other options. I dont want JOC (James O'Connor) as our last line of defence, he seems so much more commited tackling in the line at I2 than he does at I5. Cam shephard will have played about five games in two years (if he stays fit once he comes back) i dont think deans can honestly pick him.

i dont understand how quade will take berricks spot, quade is an out and out I0 for mine while berrick is a I2, i cant see him moving gits out but if he does quade deserves the spot on current form. and from last years tour really.

i shynes better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback i honestly dont remember him that much from games ive watched?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Greg Holmes could be a suprise bolter, given his experience and that he is proving handy covering both sides of the scrum fo the Reds currently. The question is will they go with name players or form players. The name players are deffinantly not the form players at the moment.

who will be the back up 7 to Pocock. Waugh is a bit over the hill in my opion. Don't you just wish Braid was an Aussie.
who will be the back up 9 to Genia. None have proven to be worthy of the job so far.

Masses of talent but lacking in critical positions. If there was ever a time to get Australia A going again.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Typical - apart from ruggo and some other comments most of the posts have been about the backs.

Why is this so? If this were a Saffer forum, it would be the other way around. Maybe there should be a semblance of balance.

It doesn't matter what princesses you pick if the pigs don't front up to play and handle such things as restarts.

Therefore let us talk about pigs.

C

chief

Lee Grant said:
Typical - apart from ruggo and some other comments most of the posts have been about the backs.

Why is this so? If this were a Saffer forum, it would be the other way around. Maybe there should be a semblance of balance.

It doesn't matter what princesses you pick if the pigs don't front up to play and handle such things as restarts.

Lee, Lee, Lee welcome to the new decade.

To get the ball rolling, Ben Daley has been a standout in the front row. Would be hard to find a spot next to Robinson and Alexander though. Interesting to see what happens there.

I think TPN has a huge edge over Moore, his throws are actually very good now. And his performance against the Sharks was fantastic, and I certainly look forward to what else he can throw forward to press Wallaby selection.

The 2nd row is a bit of a concern, Horwill out for Tri Nations, haven't seen much of the Western Force. Has Sharpe been performing? There is Van Humphries who has been decent, but he is 34 years old.

You know Matt Hodgson has been very impressing, more so then Rocky Elsom so far. Could be a suitable back up to Elsom, and Pocock, as George Smith is gone, and Phil Waugh is underperforming.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
My perfect Wobs team:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Sharpe (presuming his form continues)
5. Caldwell (presuming he will refind his form)
6. Elsom (captain)
7. Pocock
8. Paul

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mortlock (can hopefully show his influence via experience and the occasional hard hit)
12. Gitteau (covering 9)
13. Ashley-Cooper (covering 15, vice captain)
14. Ione
15. Hynes

16. Polota-Nau
17. Weekes (There are better looseheads but he is the next best tighthead running around)
18. Chisholm
19. Mumm (covering 6 and lock if the battle is particularly rough in the tight)
20. Hodgson (covering all 3 back row positions. him and mumm to be used in "horses for courses" fashion)
21. Barnes (covering 10 and 12)
22. Cummins (covering 13 and wing)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lee Grant said:

Very true. I also believe the forwards are going to be the most contested area when it comes to starting spots. Apart from Benn robinson n rocky. Pocock i think should get in there at 7. TPN also i think is ahead of moore so far but i think it will be close. Palu should be the 8. With horwill out im not confident about any locks at the moment. I think we need to just put in 2 bolters and hope for the best. My pick is hodgson for the bench tho cover the back row. Also pick weeks as a possibile bolter.

Status
Not open for further replies.