• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Ticket Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I received this email this morning which contained the ticket prices for the Wallaby's home games this year.

Grab.png

Now Im a tad bemused at the cost of the tickets in Brisbane;

How do they justify such a huge mark up compared to the Sydney game? Granted there's more people who can possibly attend the game in Sydney and the game is not a Bledisloe game (but its against the reigning World Champs + Recent Tri-Nations champs).

Comparing both the Platinum and Gold (which in themselves not really that comparable to Sydney's Gold tickets), they're both significantly more than the Sydney test?

Even the El-Cheapo seats in Brisbane have a higher mark up than the sydney counterparts.

So, am I in the minority with the pricing scheme? Especially with this coupled with the weak beer and overpriced rum that costs an arm and a leg in itself, you're looking at a good couple hundred for a quality night out.

(Granted I am a full-time student, so my feeling on prices might be out compared to those with a salary at their disposal)

Attachments

• Grab.png
    Grab.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 233

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Games against the All Blacks always sell well and I am guessing at Suncorp they sell a lot faster.
That is supply and demand right?

Also I don't remember a Springboks game selling out at Homebush. So they need to make it more enticing for people to show up.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Get used to it Ignoto. With Brisbane only getting a Bledisloe game every 4 years at the most I can't see the price going down any time soon. It may get to the point that it will be cheaper to fly to Sydney for the game than to watch the one in Brisbane.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It is the Bledisloe and also it is the only test match this season in Brisbane. People will be flocking, which explains the higher prices.

G

Geeves

Lets quickly do the sum for a family of 3 to attend in Brisbane, Gold tickets = $480 (free transport in), trying to not spend money you would still do $50 without blinking. So say $520-530 for the night.

Not naming sales places but they have 40"" TV for around about $700. I know how the family would want me to spend the money.

T

TOCC

Ignoto, i compared the prices of both a few months ago, Brisbane prices are quite comparable to a Bledisloe held in Sydney, although the last Sydney Bledisloe had a few thousand giveaways for 'kids get in free' type programs which Brisbane didnt have, overall, the Brisbane prices are only slightly more expensive then the prices in Sydney.

The reason the 'el cheapo' seats in Brisbane cost more is simply because the worst seat at Suncorp is still better then a large percentage of seats at ANZ stadium, this was the only signficant difference in pricing of tickets between Suncorp and ANZ stadium for a Bledilsoe Cup match.

It should be noted, that the prices of the Bledisloes have remained relatively the same for the past 3-4 years now.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I sort of don't mind the ARU charging more this year. They only have three home tests, one of which is against Samoa. Normally they have at least five or six, plus a few Aus A/Barbarians games. Hopefully it is just a one-off and prices will fall next season.

T

TOCC

Barbarian, like i mentioned, the prices for the Bledisloe have remained relatively the same over past few years, thats including the previous Brisbane and Sydney tests..

The ARU are not charging anymore for this game then they have in previous years.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Understand the Brisbane prices.

The Sydney prices just need to be priced to get that big stadium filled to increase exposure. If it means discounting the tickets a bit, so be it. Those Samoan prices look good and I hope they market the shit out of it as a great family day out.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I am a stadium member so could get tickets for the wife and I for free. But considering the costs, I will be buying a $50 family pass and taking the kids out(they are 3 and 1.5) to introduce them to live sport

B

Burke's Boot

Springboks are sending a weak team to this part of the world during the Tri-Nations.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It is the Bledisloe and also it is the only test match this season in Brisbane. People will be flocking, which explains the higher prices.

Prices were the same in Brisbane a few years ago. Nothing has really changed. We will fill it up.

It is why I don't understand how having the Sloe at Sydney every year is such a big winfall for the ARU. I don't think Sydney Sloe prices are quite that high, are they? (sorry just read TOCC's post)

Anyway, if the ARU tried to charge anything like that for the SA match in sydney, there would be a crowd of about three plus a dog. I went to an SA match in sydney that had something like 25k a few years ago, yet as far as I recall every SA match in Brisbane is a sell out.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I would pay more to not have to watch the game at ANZ. In fact, if they played the Boks at the SFS, I'd be almost willing to pay those Brisbane Bledisloe prices. ANZ sucks balls and no one wants to watch rugby there.

Having said that, the Samoa game will be great. A mate of mine is bringing his 18 month old to introduce him to the game. Here's to afternoon games!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Yeah sorry, Nah. People who get a test in their state don't get to whinge about ticket prices. I would gladly play $160 for a gold ticket to a wallabies game this year, against the AB's even better.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
the samoa test has to sell out
even if it means giving away tickets they must fill that stadium if not the marketing manager for the aru needs to be shot
i dont consider myself a marketing buff by any means but any fool could tell you a packed stadium (even if half the tix were free) would be much more beneficial to the aru> christ at least u make money on food an drinks
dont get me started on the tahs

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
i dont consider myself a marketing buff by any means but any fool could tell you a packed stadium (even if half the tix were free) would be much more beneficial to the aru> christ at least u make money on food an drinks
dont get me started on the tahs

Well here's one fool that wouldn't tell you that, jay-c. As hesitant as I am to defend the actions of the ARU or Waratahs, I have to point out that neither body benefits from sales of food and drinks at matches. The stadium owners lease that concession to the catering company who are responsible for the delectable culinary delights and the wide variety of beers, wines and spirits on offer to patrons. Many people go to the games principally to gourmandise themselves.

We are reaping the dividends of selling our sport to the Murdochs of this world so that rugby has become a business that you wouldn't think of buying shares in. The only ones entitled to see top level rugby live are those for whom ticket prices are of little concern. Far better to have the stands half full than to have to rub shoulders with the unwashed.

Back in the Field of Dreams days of Concord Oval when Sir Lunchalot ran rugby in this state, he famously said that anyone who wouldn't buy a lifetime membership wasn't really a rugby supporter. His spirit - and his considerable bulk - lives on.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Well here's one fool that wouldn't tell you that, jay-c. As hesitant as I am to defend the actions of the ARU or Waratahs, I have to point out that neither body benefits from sales of food and drinks at matches. The stadium owners lease that concession to the catering company who are responsible for the delectable culinary delights and the wide variety of beers, wines and spirits on offer to patrons. Many people go to the games principally to gourmandise themselves.

In the US, new stadiums are built mostly around luxury boxes, premium tickets and concession stands. But the teams own (at least partly) and run the stadiums themselves, so ticket pricing structures are designed differently. You pay a fortune for good seats -- and those seats are REALLY good -- and for luxury boxes, but you can go to games and sit elsewhere for reasonable prices (depending on the sport). Gourmet food, microbreweries, bistros, bars, etc. are all so far superior to what you get here that it beggars belief. Sure, you have to pay for it, but if you've paid only $25 for a ticket to San Francisco Giants you don't mind spending twice that eating fancy hotdogs and swilling wanker beer.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
ahh but bruce the unwashed are those buying the merchandise> see ANY nrl game
the unwashed are those that are prepared to scream and yell for their team> drink lots of beer and create an atmosphere
and whats the worst that could happen by filling a stadium? what? people would miss out? could this possibly create more demand?
i think i may have just had the rugby supporter equivalent of discovering plutonium- by accident!
my vision would be to fill the unsold tickets to kids in their final years of school and uni kids for about 5 years... give them a pattern then when they enter he work they will want to continue going to the games>but with more money to spend
first fill the stadiums then try make some money off it> sydney does not have the population to justify going just for the elite crowd

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The problem with aiming to fill stadiums with free tickets is there is usually a poor turnout (as a percentage) of free ticket holders. They just don't turn up if they haven't invested in turning up.

Status
Not open for further replies.