• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wallabies vice-captain Berrick Barnes signs one-year deal with NSW Waratahs

March 08, 2010 Wallabies five-eighth Berrick Barnes will play the first season of the expanded Super 15 competition in Sydney after recommitting to New South Wales Waratahs.

Barnes signed a two-year deal with the Australian Rugby Union last season to take him through to the conclusion of the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

His contract bringing him to the Waratahs for 2010 included a one-year option, which the Queenslander has elected to take up.

"You weigh up everything that's put in front of you and in the end I know it's definitely the right decision to stay at the Tahs," the classy playmaker said.

"I'm glad I've now made the call and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

"I've really enjoyed the culture here, thus far. It's been a tough four weeks but I feel as if the squad is moving in the right direction and it is something I feel excited about being a part of for another year.

"New South Wales definitely has a winning culture and there's a high expectation of success both internally and externally, which drives you as a player."

Barnes had been a prime recruiting target for the new Melbourne Rebels franchise which joins the competition next year but they said they withdrew because he only wanted to do one-season deal.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said Barnes' impact on the squad had been immediate and his recommitment augurs well for the future of the team.

"Everyone knows what a quality person Berrick is both on and off the field so it's obvious we're really happy to have him on board again in 2011," Hickey said.

"As soon as Berrick joined us, he slotted into the culture seamlessly and spent a lot of time in the pre-season working with the younger inside backs to help them with their development.

"It's great that he has his future sorted now and can just concentrate on his rugby."

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said Barnes' impact on the squad had been immediate and his recommitment augurs well for the future of the team.

His immediate impact appears to have been a negative one, apart from his goal kicking that is.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scotty said:

His immediate impact appears to have been a negative one, apart from his goal kicking that is.
What he may have meant was that Barnes' crapulence made others look less crapulent, thereby having a positive impact. Although he did just say an "immediate" impact, so maybe he just meant that they are all sinking to a common level, or indeed an immediately negative impact.

C

chief

Wouldn't surprise me if Cheika only signs a one year contract deal with the Tahs from 2011, because I think he would be a fantastic replacement as a coach for Robbie Deans if he or the ARU elects that his time with the Wallabies is over.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Tom Carter inks new two-year deal with HSBC Waratahs

» Back to News Listing
Wednesday, 10 March 2010
NSWRU Media Unit

NSW centre Tom Carter has decided to continue his Rugby career in Sydney by committed to the HSBC Waratahs on a new two-year deal which will take him through to the end of the 2012 season.

Tom Carter takes on the Sharks defence.
Carter is one of the most experienced players at the Tahs having made his state debut as a 21-year-old against Salta on the development tour of Argentina in 2004.

The following year he also toured with the team to eastern Europe and was a member of the Sydney University premiership-winning team. He has since gone on to win five-straight premierships with the Students, including a Mirvac Man of the Match performance in last year's five-point win over Randwick.

Carter's Super Rugby ambitions stalled at times due to injury, before being selected for his tournament debut against the Hurricanes in round one of the 2008 competition. In his first Super 14 season, Carter went on to start all 15 matches at inside centre including the semi-final and final.

Since then he has never missed a match for the HSBC Waratahs and now has 32-straight appearances for the Sydney-based team. He will extend that run on Friday after again being selected at outside centre for the Tahs clash with the Lions at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Carter said that while he weighed up his options, he always leaned towards remaining with the HSBC Waratahs in a deal which could take him past 50 state caps.

"I've always been really happy here at the Tahs and when they approached me to extend my contract I was always pretty likely to stay," said Carter. "Of course you see what's out there and try to look at it without emotion to make sure you're making the best decision from a personal and a Rugby point of view, and I'm more than comfortable with the decision I've made.

"The culture and the set-up here are fantastic; you only need to look at the quality of players who have come here recently, and the number of players who are choosing to stay here to realise that.

"I think there's still a bit of unfinished business here for a lot of us who believe we're capable of winning a Super Rugby competition with the Tahs. Playing in that final in 2008 showed what we're capable of and as a playing group we're confident we can go one better."

Carter is looking to celebrate his contract renewal with back-to-back home victories this Friday against the Lions.

"We were lucky to get away with the game last week and know there's a lot of improvement in us for the match this Friday," said Carter. "It was a hard week with the travel back from Africa, but with that out of the way we feel we're ready to hit our straps."

Tom Carter
Born: 25 February 1983, Young NSW
Physical: 189cm, 103kg
Juniors: Young Yabbies
School: Knox Grammar School
Club: Sydney University
Position: Centre
State Caps: 39
State Points: 30 [6t]
State Debut: 2004 v Salta
Super Rugby Caps: 32
Super Rugby Points: 20 [4t]
Super Rugby Debut: 2008 v Hurricanes

http://www.waratahs.com.au/MediaExt...arterinksnewtwo-yeardealwithHSBCWaratahs.aspx

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Carter and Berrick are quality players.
But seriously, if you are having problems with crowds due to playing "unattractive" rugby they just aren't the personal you need.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
im bouncing off the walls, only problem, wish the contract was through to 2020, he deserves to be a one club man and the tahs would benifit greatly from having him

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Godfrey said:
I hope the waratahs explode.

i hope they stick with why they have been successful the last few years and forget trying to force passes to impress people that really dont matter that much

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
waratahjesus said:
Godfrey said:
I hope the waratahs explode.

i hope they stick with why they have been successful the last few years and forget trying to force passes to impress people that really dont matter that much

I hope the Tahs players supporting the ball carrier giving ball carrier better options.

I want the pigs to drive the maul for metres and that the back then know what to do next.

I don't want to see Burgess running across the field looking for runners and finding none.

I want the backs running at gaps not defenders, and getting over the advantage line, and lots of runners in motion to get the defenders on the back foot.

I want to see better defence as well

I want the Tahs to play good, smart rugby.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Honestly though, I do hope they improve as they're doing an annoylingly good job of wrecking one of our best internationals.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
fatprop said:
I hope the Tahs players supporting the ball carrier giving ball carrier better options.

I want the pigs to drive the maul for metres and that the back then know what to do next.

I don't want to see Burgess running across the field looking for runners and finding none.

I want the backs running at gaps not defenders, and getting over the advantage line, and lots of runners in motion to get the defenders on the back foot.

I want to see better defence as well

I want the Tahs to play good, smart rugby.

I don't want to see Burgess kick an up and under with five support runners behind him and 30 metres of space in front of him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Meanwhile, Wallabies forwards Benn Robinson and Wycliff Palu are also expected to re-sign with NSW in the near future, with both finalising negotiations with the ARU.
:thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.